Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Most Bullet Proof 993

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 03:51 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Regarding Jibble's problem, "targa top Dan Petchel" @ CarsInc repairs those. No affiiliation but thought I'd mention a resource.
And jeez, it's a badge of honor to have two oil filters and twelve spark plugs. IMHO.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:24 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Without commenting on the Targa top issue, this is probably the most unqualified post of the year.

Originally Posted by Jibble
Wormer,
Consider highly NOT getting a targa. I just came down this road----I just purchased a 97 Targa with 111k miles which checked out well prior to purchase. Unfortunately, after having owned it for about 3 weeks, the targa then became stuck in the wind deflector up position.

Somehow in my research in looking at 993s I had not come across that the most expensive items to break in this car are the TARGA top (which was not made in a way which repairs are easily done) and I guess engine rebuild will be needed at some point given mileage (though apparently those posting before me have been extremely lucky to avoid).
The other thing is maintenance costs on this care are a bear.

Long story short, the targa cost me >$4500 to fix, and thats only if you're able to find someone to handle it--dealers apparently will not be familiar with this anymore given that its an older car. This is aside from the cost that was really hard to swallow after just taking ownership.
Oil changes will cost about $400 as well----not sure if thats inline with other Pcars. Apparently theres 2 oil filters and one of them is a b#tch to get to and never gets changed by most mechs...

If I could do it over again, I would consider spending a bit more money for perhaps a 997 car or if you're really set on a 993, def go without the targa and either do cabriolet or coupe--less complicated parts. Just my opinion of course.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:10 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
There are a few small differences between model years on the 993. Varioram, OBD-I/OBD-II etc. However, reliability is the same across all the 993 model years.
Hands-down, that's the most accurate statement in this thread, based on personal experience.

At 15+ years out, reliability at this point will be based on how any one individual car was maintained.
Yessir,...thats a fact!!!!

Given that the newest 993 is still 15 years old, condition and maintenance is everything. Still,.....these are not simple cars, compared to some of their predecessors, and electrical issues do arise over time. Its not a show-stopper, considering all the other excellent (and oftentimes, superior) qualities that these cars possess.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:26 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Hands-down, that's the most accurate statement in this thread, based on personal experience.

Yessir,...thats a fact!!!!

Given that the newest 993 is still 15 years old, condition and maintenance is everything. Still,.....these are not simple cars, compared to some of their predecessors, and electrical issues do arise over time. Its not a show-stopper, considering all the other excellent (and oftentimes, superior) qualities that these cars possess.

I cannot believe I got a shout-out from Obi-Wan Weiner

Steve, just let me know when you're looking for an apprentice and I'll pack my bags.

Thanks for all your support and wisdom on this board. You've earned the respect of all who know of your skill and breadth of knowledge about these fine machines.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:00 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
I cannot believe I got a shout-out from Obi-Wan Weiner
Damned right, you earned it,...

YOUR wisdom and common sense is well appreciated on my part.

Steve, just let me know when you're looking for an apprentice and I'll pack my bags.

Thanks for all your support and wisdom on this board. You've earned the respect of all who know of your skill and breadth of knowledge about these fine machines.
I certainly will!! Hopefully, you are willing to work as cheaply as I do, most times.

Thank you for your kind words,...I've simply tried to offer something constructive & useful when appropriate. Hopefully, someone sees some value in all that and especially if it saves them money.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:55 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
I've simply tried to offer something constructive & useful when appropriate. Hopefully, someone sees some value in all that and especially if it saves them money.
"Some value?" Understatement of the year. Thanks Steve for all you contribute to this forum. I, for one, have learned a ton from you over the years. There are times I'll get the RL and just search your recent posts to make sure I don't miss anything.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 05-12-2013, 11:57 AM
deactivateduser66
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brilliant!

Originally Posted by richardew
My '96 C4 Cab is the most bullet proof 993. I will hit 296,000 miles this week. I picked it up with 42 miles on it almost 17 years ago to the day. I have replaced the clutch once. It has had no major engine work. I attribute this to the Iris Blue color. I would look for another Iris Blue car. These are clearly superior.

Quick Reply: Most Bullet Proof 993