Sponsored by:

refill engine oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 06:34 AM
peter y.s pang
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default refill engine oil

i found the engine oil level just below the lower part oftwist on dipstick. i going to refill some engine oil. Do i need to start the engine when refill the engine oil.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:42 AM
power_up
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by peter y.s pang
i found the engine oil level just below the lower part oftwist on dipstick. i going to refill some engine oil. Do i need to start the engine when refill the engine oil.
Sure. And doing when engine in working temperature too.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:54 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,414 Likes on 816 Posts

no. If you have an idea of how much you want to add, you can add it with the engine not running.

If you want real time information on how much to add, you'll need to add it in the same state that you check it (oil hot, car level, idled for 30 seconds, etc).
Old 05-04-2013, 10:33 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,411 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Make sure your oil is hot-hot-hot for accuracy. Don't over fill, maybe 1/3 to 1/2 on your dipstick. Make note the oil level on your interior gauge, so you can infer a realtionship between that and the actual dipstick.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:59 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Make sure your oil is hot-hot-hot for accuracy. Don't over fill, maybe 1/3 to 1/2 on your dipstick. Make note the oil level on your interior gauge, so you can infer a realtionship between that and the actual dipstick.

Don't think that's necessary
Old 05-04-2013, 05:20 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,082 Posts

The owner’s manual asks that you check the oil with the dip-stick hot and maybe while running, I don't recall. The only down side is filling it cold could result in overfilling. Overfilling in some cases can pull oil into the air intake, not so good for the MAF sensor a $300+ part.
You know you are probably overfilled if the dash gauge stays pinned on full while revving a warm engine. I like to see it move with engine RPM changes as it is a good reality check. If you are changing you own oil and filters I would start by filling with 9-1/2 quarts and check the oil level and add in increments until full.
I do this in my driveway every once a year.
Andy
Old 05-04-2013, 05:27 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
The owner’s manual asks that you check the oil with the dip-stick hot and maybe while running, I don't recall. The only down side is filling it cold could result in overfilling. Overfilling in some cases can pull oil into the air intake, not so good for the MAF sensor a $300+ part.
You know you are probably overfilled if the dash gauge stays pinned on full while revving a warm engine. I like to see it move with engine RPM changes as it is a good reality check. If you are changing you own oil and filters I would start by filling with 9-1/2 quarts and check the oil level and add in increments until full.
I do this in my driveway every once a year.
Andy
The oil level must be CHECKED with the engine running, hot, level, and idling. Once checked, you can REFILL when hot or cold.
The dash gauge should NEVER be pinned full, under any circumstances... About half way or so when HOT, level, and idling is about right. The gauge should drop to empty when revs are applied.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:02 AM
bjornebo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When my oil is at the base of the twisted portion of the dipstick, adding a quart (which can be done when engine is cold or hot) brings the oil up to 2/3 full which works well for my engine.

Quick Reply: refill engine oil