Sponsored by:

Thoughts on this 993?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 09:27 PM
Alanine
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thoughts on this 993?

Hi. I've just starting considering the 993 as my first 911 and was wondering what your thoughts are on this '95 specimen being sold by a dealer, please?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-...c44#vi-content

It seems to be priced at the low end (the Buy-It-Now price) given it's a dealer and *appears* to be in good shape. I can only assume it's to compensate for the odometer change and the respray? It also appears to have chromed wheels and perhaps an aftermarket exhaust?

Thanks - I was hoping to learn more about 993s at the lower end of the price spectrum :-)
Old 05-02-2013, 09:38 PM
porschemikeandnancy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The "buy it now" price seems to be in order. The car, from photos, look relatively clean.

I don't know how E-bay works with respect to pre-purchase inspections. But you should not buy a 993 without a PPI. I'd also insist (or you can buy one yourself) a Car Fax. The car check thing they say shows no accidents (but they do claim a re-spray - I'd want to know why) does not report on the actual service history of the car which carfax does. Also car fax will give you the name of the shops that have worked in the car. Calling the shop with the VIN # might get you additional information on the car's service history. Good luck.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:07 AM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Looks promising

Things to consider...

-Chrome wheels have to go/not desirable
-window tint needs to go unless absolutely needed
-Look into the exhaust situation... funny tips
-Hopefully someone just blew their nose on the outside of the inside drivers seat bolster
Old 05-03-2013, 08:01 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 715 Likes on 342 Posts

I would wonder about the "one paint respray" try to get a body shop to look at body and paint. If paint was not done coreectly big $ work could be ahead.
Rich
Old 05-03-2013, 12:42 PM
Alanine
Instructor

Thanks all!

Sure, I have no plans to buy any 911 without a thorough PPI. My aim with this thread was simply to gauge if this price was suspiciously low or consistent with a higher mileage car approaching 100K miles. I will enquire about the reason for the paint job and whether the entire exhaust is non-standard.

Were chrome wheels an option? I assume not and this was done through a 3rd party. I agree they don't look good, but that can be fixed. I don't think their photographic skills do them any favours though!

I Google'd the VIN and found an older advert from a few thousand miles ago. Looks like it has crossed states from Nevada:

http://www.globalautosports.com/car/...upe-40041.html
Old 05-03-2013, 12:52 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

I don't believe chrome wheels were a factory option. Nor am I positive the are chromed, they could be polished. I didn't see anywhere if it was specified.
If the are chrome, and you want it removed, they have to be dipped in acid. If they are polished, they can simply be painted. Or you can just buy new/ different wheels. Not a show stopper either way.

Every 911 has its own nuances, including the 993. Spend as much time as you can going through the archives and you will soon become knowledgable.

I have a black on black 993, and though I am not a big fan of dark tint, I do have a light tint on my windows, and it does help to keep it cooler. I went for heat rejection vice optical transmission.

Good luck with your search.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:58 PM
RocketJohn
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by justin993
-window tint needs to go unless absolutely needed
black on black, needed...
Old 05-03-2013, 02:27 PM
willus
Instructor

A few notes:
- The stone guards in front of the rear wheels appear to be missing (maybe just visible in photos).
- Are those extra cigarette lighter sockets on the passenger side of the console?
- Does it have the motor sound package, or just the the airbox cover (see chromed airbox cover)?
Old 05-03-2013, 03:03 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Black with black needs tint..
Chrome wheels are very easy to clean and look nice on dark cars.
Replace ugly orange pumpkin turn signals with clear.

PO wore a cowboy hat or a baseball cap turned backwards....
Nice looking car
Old 05-03-2013, 03:13 PM
AKTUNG
Rennlist Member

I would pass on this one. Non stock exhaust,K&N STUFF CHROME WHEELS MIS MATCH TIRES WITH REARS AS BF GOODRICH DOES NOT BODE WELL. aFTER ALL THAT IT IS A 95 WHICH DOES NOT HAVE THE VARIO RAM OR IMPROVED IGNITION VENT TUBE. tHE VARIO RAM (96-98) CAR PRODUCES BOUT 17 MORE HORSES AND RUNS MUCH SMOOTHER. i WOULD PASS UNLESS YOU JUST WANT A 993 REAL BAD AND CHEAP. wANTING ONE BAD IS USUALLY WHAT YOU GET AND THAT REPAIR SAVINGS GETS EATEN UP REAL FAST. i SAY PAY 35-40k FOR A GOOD LOW MILAGE CAR 96 AND UP. JUST SAYIN.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:21 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Alanine
I was hoping to learn more about 993s at the lower end of the price spectrum
Because that's your budget?

Sadly, they're all becoming $35K+ cars now, once you've done what you need to do to them to get them into decent shape. And there are LOTS of better options once you just face that you'll have that much tied up in the car. Not to mention if you need to sell, you have an honest, good car to sell, as opposed to something you're upside down in.

If you're truly at this point as price-of-entry, I've got to say I've been supremely disappointed in the past two I've been called in to look at by a couple of my car dealer customers (one of which I probably should have just bought myself, but ~$2K got in the way.....grrrr). I think there's way too much irrationality at the floor of the market right now.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:53 PM
Alanine
Instructor

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, the low end ($25-$30K) is where I'm positioned at the moment, hence my interest in this car. I was working on the presumption that mechanically sound vehicles could be found in this price range and that cars approaching or near the 100K mile mark could be found for a good deal, given the "Stigma" of the six digits and the obsession with low mileage.

I do think it's difficult to make a call without a mechanical inspection, but one thing I do agree on is resale value. I've obtained the Carfax on this one and because of the odometer issue mentioned in the ad, it has a "not actual mileage" branding on the title. But even with such a "black mark", how much could the value really suffer if it had to be shifted due to financial needs?
Old 05-03-2013, 06:19 PM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RocketJohn
black on black, needed...

Actually, I don't think I could take driving my Black/black Subaru in the heat without the dark tint. Even then, it gets pretty hot when Sun comes through front window.

I just like the way 993s look without tint, or minimal tint
Old 05-03-2013, 06:52 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Probably want to join rennlist...

One black car ownership is usually enough for anyone...
Exhaust tips look like they've hit the ground.
Tires are mismatched.
Suspension will need to be addressed.
Price may be right as of now, but what will it be in the near future?
+ what the other guys pointed out.

BTW, where do you live? Car is local in Socal, but not so local to me. Maybe a local RL will do a rennfax for you?
Old 05-03-2013, 07:53 PM
Alanine
Instructor

I'm in San Diego.
It doesn't have the motor sound package, according the options list sticker.
Dealer says the exhaust is stock and just the tips were switched out.
Good spot on the tires!
Still waiting to hear back on the paint job and why it was needed...

Quick Reply: Thoughts on this 993?