Sponsored by:

SAI / leaking valve guides

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 03:36 PM
dalehelman
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SAI / leaking valve guides

Is there a connection between leaking valve guides and clogged SAI. Is either one caused by the other? One source I read stated. "If the secondary air ports in the heads become clogged due to coking or prematurely wearing valve guides, expect failing emissions and/or in worst-case scenario, a possible rebuild of the top end." Does the worn valve guides cause clogging of the SAI ports or does the clogged ports cause the worn guides? Or are they unrelated to each other?

Old 05-02-2013, 04:11 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Yes poor valve guide clearance causes the SAI ports to clog.
Unblocking the ports is a band-aid fix.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:02 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by CalvinC4S
Yes poor valve guide clearance causes the SAI ports to clog.
Unblocking the ports is a band-aid fix.
Sorry, I totally disagree.

SAI passages become clogged over time. 993 valve guides also wear over time.

But one could throw a CEL light because of clogged SAI ports and still be tens of thousands of miles until one needed a top-end rebuild due to poor valve guides.

If you need to pass smog, a mechanic can clear the SAI ports for about $500-$1000, or you can do it yourself if your handy. If you are consuming more than 1 qt. oil every 600 miles, then it's time to rebuild your mill.

Also, search is your friend. Lotsa discussions on this subject.

Welcome to Rennlist
Old 05-02-2013, 06:10 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It is a "band-aid" but needs to be done at some point even if you rebuild with new valve guides (of course easier with engine out during rebuild). On the plus side, it keeps the dreaded CEL from making you fail emissions inspections, which allows you to schedule a rebuild when YOU want, not when the emissions inspector says. When you want = clutch is worn + leaks get "too bad" + burning too much oil.

Most rebuild based on oil usage (burning oil) due to oil seep through the valve guides being burned in the cylinders. This then clogs the SAI ports. There's not an exact number, but IIRC >1quart/1k miles is where people start to consider it, some even run down to 1q/500mi, and if you are smoking out the tail pipe continuously , its probably past time...

do some searches here on the RL993 board for things like:
SAI, CEL, SAI clean out, SAI clogged, valve guides, engine rebuild valve guides, oil usage, burning oil
Tons of reading on this subject.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:17 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

I don't understand what it is that you disagree with?

I said valve guide clearance not ware. This was a problem we even faced when the 993's where new.

A quart of oil every 600 miles lol, only in LA.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:44 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by CalvinC4S
I don't understand what it is that you disagree with?

I said valve guide clearance not ware. This was a problem we even faced when the 993's where new.

A quart of oil every 600 miles lol, only in LA.
1 qt./600 miles is conventional wisdom as to when it's time to re-build due to excessive consumption of oil. You don't need to take my word for it. I think Porsche recommends it then. And Steve Weiner and Tony Callas. But maybe you know more than all of them.

Except for spelling. They have you beat on that.

"Where" new? "Ware"? Only in Cave Creek, Arizona. Time to get out of the cave and git yer learnin' on
Old 05-02-2013, 07:48 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

haha, what a joke

Edit; After looking it up, Porsche max consumption is 1.5L / 1000 km
which is just a lizard toe over 600 miles. Seems extremely libral to me.

Or is that liberal?

Last edited by CalvinC4S; 05-02-2013 at 10:17 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:45 AM
Wolfk
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

SAI port is upstream of valve guide, unlikely that the miniscule amount of oil that leaks by a worn valve guide can flow upstream against exhaust pressure into the SAI ports. Port blockage is probably from the huge amounts of gasoline that is burned and a dysfunctional check valve as opposed to oil burn from worn valve guides.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:23 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolfk
Port blockage is probably from the huge amounts of gasoline that is burned and a dysfunctional check valve.
My thoughts as well...But I figured I just on this one.

I said valve guide clearance not ware
Had to read this 3-4 times to understand the meaning...

"Where" new? "Ware"? Only in Cave Creek, Arizona.
Now "wear" am I supposed to go to unlearn my spelin and wise you tryin to confuze the issue?
Book learnin is not jus fer liberals anymore. Conservatives can spell too.
Did I use two many zero's in that "to"?

Last edited by nine9six; 05-03-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:26 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolfk
SAI port is upstream of valve guide, unlikely that the miniscule amount of oil that leaks by a worn valve guide can flow upstream against exhaust pressure into the SAI ports. Port blockage is probably from the huge amounts of gasoline that is burned and a dysfunctional check valve as opposed to oil burn from worn valve guides.
It is??

I don't rebuild engines for a living but I would certainly believe the SAI port is downstream the guides. It's excess oil getting down the valve stems into the combustion chamber then blown out into the exhaust port (where the SAI port is). At least that's my understanding.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:31 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
Now "wear" am I supposed to go to unlearn my spelin and wise you tryin to confuze the issue?
Book learnin is not jus fer liberals anymore. Conservatives can spell too.
Did I use two many zero's in that "to"?
. Funny.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:48 PM
Wolfk
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
It is??

I don't rebuild engines for a living but I would certainly believe the SAI port is downstream the guides. It's excess oil getting down the valve stems into the combustion chamber then blown out into the exhaust port (where the SAI port is). At least that's my understanding.

It is.
SAI outlet hole is located in the exhaust port of the cylinder head just upstream of where the exhaust stem protrudes into the port. Not only is the SAI hole upstream in relation to exhaust flow but also physically higher in the port. So at rest, any oil that runs down the exhaust valve stem can not run into the SAI hole either.

Quick Reply: SAI / leaking valve guides