Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

What tool do you use to adjust the headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 11:56 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 89 Posts
Default What tool do you use to adjust the headlights?

What tool do you use to adjust the headlights? It says to turn the adjustment screws in the manual, A for left and right and B for up and down but its not a screw, its a little nut at the end of a tube. Does anybody know what tool you use to get in there?

Thks

G
Old 04-24-2013, 12:06 AM
Al Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You need an allen wrench. I beleive its a 6mm
Al Z
Old 04-24-2013, 01:38 AM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I think the adjustment screws are 5 mm hex.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:48 AM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, it's an allen wrench. Be VERY careful when making adjustments. It's probably good technique to take headlight assembly out of car and turn each screw a little to see how they turn. I found that the plastic adjusting gear bolt (which is turned by the adjusting screw) can easily get chewed up if they bind. You can take off rear of headlight assembly and spray a little silicone lube in there to help things turn easier.

Unfortunately, if you chew up these screw-bolts, you can't buy them individually. Ask me how I know.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:21 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Would also recommend you don't try to make large adjustments on a single screw as each adjustment also affects the other. Go back and forth between the adjusters. I also found the manuals description of what each screw adjusts to be a little off, each adjuster affects both axes, one more so than the other of course.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:04 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Well the level is very easy to get due to the spirit levels in the headlight but as to how the lateral adjustment is read I have no idea.

At least they are both at the same height and a visual inspection of the lens certainly seems to appear to favor to the right towards the side of the road.

I'm twisting the A screw and it also seems to affect height more noticeably than it affects any side to side movement.

G
Old 04-24-2013, 08:16 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by gmorat

At least they are both at the same height and a visual inspection of the lens certainly seems to appear to favor to the right towards the side of the road.

G
The old H4s from the SC and 3.2 Carreras had a lense that was designed for that. Not sure if the internal 993 reflector is also designed that way, but Porsche was ahead of its time in doing it on the SC, and perhaps even prior to that.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:43 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Well the level is very easy to get due to the spirit levels in the headlight but as to how the lateral adjustment is read I have no idea.

I'm twisting the A screw and it also seems to affect height more noticeably than it affects any side to side movement.

G
Don't you have the little white-with-black-markings Super-mini measuring stick in the front of the headlamp assy? It has 1 mark longer than the rest indicating the center position. Adjust the left/right position so it's dead on that longer mark.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:57 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Don't you have the little white-with-black-markings Super-mini measuring stick in the front of the headlamp assy? It has 1 mark longer than the rest indicating the center position. Adjust the left/right position so it's dead on that longer mark.
I see the little measuring stick off to the inside of each of the light assemblies, but when you say 'Adjust the left/right position so it's dead on that longer mark', what exactly do you mean? The bulb can't point towards it directly can it? Do you mean the beam of light? The edge of the beam of light? Sorry to be so dim about this.

Thks

G
Old 04-25-2013, 11:00 AM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

I see the little measuring stick off to the inside of each of the light assemblies, but when you say 'Adjust the left/right position so it's dead on that longer mark', what exactly do you mean? The bulb can't point towards it directly can it? Do you mean the beam of light? The edge of the beam of light? Sorry to be so dim about this.

Thks

G
Actually, what Bill is referring to is to use your markings as a reference as to the "approximate" location of where to align your headlights. The larger hash mark on the marking stick should just be visible as well as the bubble in the center of it's marking stick (set to 0). Unfortunately, one adjustment screw can effect the other one. So you have to play with BOTH adjustment screws until they both markings are set at these locations we described.

I say "approximate" location because sometimes the lights don't fully align to where they should be shining (on a wall up ahead, etc.) There are factors that can influence your alignment - including ride height (suspension modifications), different tires than originally designated for our 993's, and inherit slop in the headlight assembly. You also have to make sure you are on level ground with the appropriate tire pressures and the suspension is truly settled.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:12 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Thks

G
Originally Posted by mgianzero
Actually, what Bill is referring to is to use your markings as a reference as to the "approximate" location of where to align your headlights. The larger hash mark on the marking stick should just be visible as well as the bubble in the center of it's marking stick (set to 0). Unfortunately, one adjustment screw can effect the other one. So you have to play with BOTH adjustment screws until they both markings are set at these locations we described.

I say "approximate" location because sometimes the lights don't fully align to where they should be shining (on a wall up ahead, etc.) There are factors that can influence your alignment - including ride height (suspension modifications), different tires than originally designated for our 993's, and inherit slop in the headlight assembly. You also have to make sure you are on level ground with the appropriate tire pressures and the suspension is truly settled.
When you adjust either of the adjusting screws you will see the measuring stick move. While not being exact, if you adjust the horizontal to the longer mark on the measuring stick and the vertical for the bubble in between the larger marks you will have a pretty good setting for your headlight aiming.

As Mgianzero says it won't be perfect but is a darn good starting point from which to tweek in your adjustments based on the other variables.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:36 PM
RocketJohn
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

while you can get kinda close with the levels, you have to put the car at night in front of a wall and dial it in... mine are too low and I need to increase their height...
Old 04-25-2013, 03:46 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

"While not being exact, if you adjust the horizontal to the longer mark on the measuring stick"

I'll have a look tonight and see whats going on here. I'm sure it quite straightforward but I'm having a hard time visualizing what exactly right is supposed to look like in regards to how the measuring stick.

Is the light from the element supposed to fall across the longest mark or is the longest mark supposed to be just visible out of the casing?

I laughed a bit when I saw the description in the manual as its all incredibly vague. Hopefully I can get my head around it tonight.

G
Old 04-25-2013, 03:52 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

"Is the light from the element supposed to fall across the longest mark or is the longest mark supposed to be just visible out of the casing?

G
The longest mark is to be just visible out of casing. The light does not project itself onto the alignment markings whatsoever. It's a very simple design.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:51 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

For the "in-the-lights" adjustment you don't even need to turn on the headlamps, just adjust the screws (5 mm hex bolts to be exact) for the measuring stick and the bubble to be in their proper settings. You're adjusting the headlamp assy., not the bulbs themselves.

Quick Reply: What tool do you use to adjust the headlights?