Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Stone guard removal mess!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 11:45 PM
96PCarrera993mg
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry about the mess, sh*t happens. My recommendation is to use WD40 it will cut through the adhesive, be patient and use plenty of soft clean rags and lots of WD40. I've used it successfully to remove auto adhesives from painted surfaces and it works well.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:39 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

What is the history of the car? Was it in excessive sunlight/heat over its life?
Old 04-16-2013, 12:51 AM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 607 Likes on 384 Posts

Wow, that really sucks. I never gave any thought that the paint might come off when removing these. I got a really low price quote from a local installer so I guess this is all the reason I need to pay someone else to do these for me.

Let us know how it turns out when you get everything finished. Hopefully the paint work wont be to expensive.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:12 AM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 130 Posts

I did my a month ago and man was it a royal pain in the a$$. About 30 minutes into it I was regretting it as well. I could only get tiny sections off at a time. I finally got to where I could get it warm with the hair dryer (not too hot) and work it really slowly pulling back on the material (like you are trying to stretch it). This worked best for me but it was tough. In the end it cleaned up great. I feel your pain for sure!
Old 04-16-2013, 12:59 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by deekay911
I had one easy one and one that was a pig also. The issue is that none of the remedies mentioned will do anything to help the removal of the material itself - the glue residue that's left when you do get it off is easily removed with any number of goo-gones, 3M etc. If the plastic itself doesn't want to come off in large sheets, then that is where your problem lies. I found a hairdryer and a plastic blade helped best, but even so it was painfully slow progress.
If the glue was easy and it had just been getting the plastic off i would have contunued as it would eventually come off. It came of in millimetre sized pieces - there was no strecthing of the film and i got it much hotter than a hairdryer would. When it came off it was very yellow and brittle ie had obviously been on there a looong time

The real rpoblem was the glue and as mentioned I tried every remedy i had read about including goo gone, 3m etc - nothing worked
Old 04-16-2013, 01:01 PM
vern1
Drifting

Originally Posted by cabrio993
Sorry to see that man. I don't have stone guards on my cab, and after seen this post, i know I never will put them on. I'm sure a good shop will get it all fixed up for you without respray.
It will at least take a respray on one side as some paint came off. I will also think long and hard about putting them back on....
Old 04-16-2013, 01:03 PM
vern1
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike J
What is the history of the car? Was it in excessive sunlight/heat over its life?
Its always been a Cdn car so no risk of excessive heat and sun
Old 04-16-2013, 01:06 PM
vern1
Drifting

Thanks for the condolences everyone. Its a PITA but will let you know how it turns out

Thanks
Old 04-16-2013, 01:31 PM
Rdelvalle
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

I did mine when I bought the car three years ago a piece of cake. Just took it to the body shop that does the work for the Collection in Miami. Not even one drop of sweat on my part. The poor guy that did it labored over one and a half hour for just one side. That is the best $125 dollars I have spent.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:35 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Sorry again - keep us posted....

Originally Posted by pirahna
Wow, that really sucks. I never gave any thought that the paint might come off when removing these. I got a really low price quote from a local installer so I guess this is all the reason I need to pay someone else to do these for me.

Let us know how it turns out when you get everything finished. Hopefully the paint work wont be to expensive.
I'd jump on it. Word is getting out among installers that these can be ticking time bombs to get off. A local well rec installer, who evidentally got burned on one of these bid $800 to remove and install my (supplied ) guards.

To prove he had done it before or show his sense of humor? He said specifically removing the black one was going to be $800. Removing the clear one and installing my new ones was free.....

I'm going to try to do my own....
Old 04-16-2013, 01:40 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
Its always been a Cdn car so no risk of excessive heat and sun
Maybe the adhesive has been frozen rock hard.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:58 PM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There was someone else that posted here and during my search for this kind of problem I saw he had used something called rapid tac-adhesive remover. I ordered it. Use it well ventilated. Spray on rock hard glue and let it sit for time per instructions and then scrape off adhesive with plastic squeegee. You may have to spray and scrape twice. If it's over 50 degrees it makes a nightmare turn in to something more bearable. It resoftens the glue. It does need to sit as instructions say and again it may only soak through so far so you will get on ly one layer at a time. Check out you tube for demo of the stuff. If you were local I'd say stop by and we'd just use mine.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:10 PM
993KT
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to see that. My yellowish stone guards needs to come off at some point. Not looking forward to that. Have you try some good beer/wine/scotch? No, not on the stone guard. For yourself. You need one.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:42 PM
Sagres74
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Ouch! On my to-do list and mine is black as well w/ guards in rough shape.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:49 PM
vern1
Drifting

Originally Posted by 993KT
Sorry to see that. My yellowish stone guards needs to come off at some point. Not looking forward to that. Have you try some good beer/wine/scotch? No, not on the stone guard. For yourself. You need one.
Tried plenty of that. Helped immensely as the afternoon wore on.

Quick Reply: Stone guard removal mess!!