Search still down; Recaro Pole Position install

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 11:54 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Search still down; Recaro Pole Position install

So I have a Recaro Pole Position, driver side, 95 993 coupe.

Installing standard Recaro side mount brackets. The Recaro sliders I had with the street seat belt mount (tunnel side) didn't have enough space to use with the side mount brackets, so I got the BK 9005 part.

It seems the bolt is sticking out too far and interfering with the rear tunnel side slider bolt getting aligned properly. Am I just an idiot and need to tighten it more, or do I have the wrong setup? I know I'm not the first to ask, but can't find anything with search down at the moment.

Thanks,
Old 04-15-2013, 09:29 PM
993KT
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the porsche side mounting brackets and they also stick out too much and are too close to the tunnel. I ended up elongating the mounting holes on the bracket so they sit a little closer to the seats. The brackets you have might stick out even more than the porsche ones. Sorry don't have the part number handy, but I think bill v posted them at one point.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:30 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by JPS
So I have a Recaro Pole Position, driver side, 95 993 coupe.

Installing standard Recaro side mount brackets. The Recaro sliders I had with the street seat belt mount (tunnel side) didn't have enough space to use with the side mount brackets, so I got the BK 9005 part.

It seems the bolt is sticking out too far and interfering with the rear tunnel side slider bolt getting aligned properly. Am I just an idiot and need to tighten it more, or do I have the wrong setup? I know I'm not the first to ask, but can't find anything with search down at the moment.

Thanks,
Here's the thread I posted on the Recaro install, mine are SPG XL, PP would be easier because it's a smaller seat.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:38 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, since the belt mount is on the rail, it doesn't seem to matter what the seat is. The issue is that the part of the above mount that sticks out seems to be snagging on the tunnel. I think I'm going to order the RS part you did, Bill, and give that a go.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:14 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JPS
Well, since the belt mount is on the rail, it doesn't seem to matter what the seat is. The issue is that the part of the above mount that sticks out seems to be snagging on the tunnel. I think I'm going to order the RS part you did, Bill, and give that a go.
What matters about different seats is the height of the side bolsters, that determines whether the receptacle can go out side or through the side hole inside. PP are low enough that the stock receptacle can go outside if the height is stretched a bit, SPG is to high so you have to go through the side holes as they do in the late GT3 seats.

One way to stretch the height is to modify the L bracket that the receptacle bolts to.

I would like to try the Southbound trimmers solution too, 9M seems to have great success using their mounts.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:01 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Porsche has a technical document of how to install Euro GT3 seats in a 993 with part numbers of the tidbits I think, etc.
I could get it if need be, let me know
Old 04-16-2013, 11:24 AM
ToSi
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts

^^ yes please..
Old 04-16-2013, 11:31 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ditto.

I haven't yet tackled the receptacle issue. The issue I'm working on at the moment is the receptacle mounting bracket. On the BK unit, either I just was an idiot and didn't tighten the bolt enough, or it sticks out too far from the side mount bracket / seat rail combo, and snags on the tunnel.

I'm going to try the RS piece Bill has and see if that is a little more narrow between the seat rails and the tunnel.

Thanks,
Old 04-16-2013, 08:53 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

hope this helps
Attached Images       
Old 04-17-2013, 04:42 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thx. Don't think that quite addresses my quandary though. Once the RS part arrives, we'll see if that fixes it up.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:29 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just revisiting this. I got the RS part, shown here.

I'm trying to figure out what seatbelt receptacle I can use to A) attach to the RS mount shown, B) tuck inside the guide hole so it is between me and the seat, not outside the seat, and C) can be used with the seatbelt light so when plugged in I don't have the dash light.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:59 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JPS
Just revisiting this. I got the RS part, shown here.

I'm trying to figure out what seatbelt receptacle I can use to A) attach to the RS mount shown, B) tuck inside the guide hole so it is between me and the seat, not outside the seat, and C) can be used with the seatbelt light so when plugged in I don't have the dash light.
I used the oe rears, I removed the plastic sheath so that I can tuck it further down, but if you leave it it will be easier to use

Old 10-25-2013, 11:38 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

One solution, which involves a bit more drama, is to install a bolt plate to the center tunnel. In a 993 the bolt plate ends up just forward of the tubular transmission strut mount bolts on the center tunnel in a the double thick area of metal involving the trans bolt bracket.

I used the Schroth bolt plates and pop riveted them in with 3/16 pop rivets. The pop rivets only hold the plate in place and are not there for real strength. The strength comes from the 7/16" bolt going through the double thick area of chassis plate. I think it is stronger than the welded in installation in a factory 964 Cup pictured below because of the thickness of the metal in the 993.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 10-25-2013, 11:57 AM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bill, do you you have the regular or XL SPG seats?
Old 10-25-2013, 12:14 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

I have the Profi XL and find them for a full figured guy to be the way to go. The critical thing for me is not only the extra 35 mm of width compared to the SPG, but also that the shoulder belt holes are way higher than the Pole position which is also the same width as a Profi XL.

It is important that the shoulder belt hole does not direct the shoulder belt to a point below the shoulder or compression loading of the spine will occur in a crash.

Using Recaro side plates and tracks, the seat was a direct bolt in, but will only accept 4 mounting bolts without a slight modification to one of the holes in the slider. If the middle lap belt is not attached to the seat mounting hardware, only 4 bolts is not an issue.

Also, I found that ARP 8 mm stainless 12 pt. bolts with a 3/8" nylon insert washer are nice for the adjustment/attachment bolts to side plate. The washer keeps the side plate from being damaged by bolt. Look carefully at bolts below.

Insert washer shape, these are steel, I used Nylon.

Last edited by Cupcar; 10-25-2013 at 12:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Search still down; Recaro Pole Position install