Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

New Addition to the Family - thanks RL!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 08:37 AM
Nthusiast
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New Addition to the Family - thanks RL!

I'm thrilled to say that I picked up a beautiful '98 993 Targa yesterday from a fellow RL'er. It was a great 5 hour drive home getting to know her.

Big thanks to this forum for all the great insights on what to look for and a special thanks to Guy for being such a stand-up guy and for making the purchase so easy. Unlike someone else who posted a C4S for sale in the classifieds (you know who you are), Guy was not only a true businessman but obviously a true enthusiast.

Now comes the question - after a few hours in the seat my back was getting destroyed. I think 15 years took a toll on the padding and support in the seat and lower lumbar area. Am I better off seeing if I can get it re-padded (there is a seat shop close to me) or should I look at new seats (and if so, where do I look)? Any recommendations?

Last edited by Nthusiast; 05-19-2014 at 06:17 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:20 AM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

New seats seem like an overkill. The seatbacks are pretty durable...could it be that you just don't fit the seat well? Post a picture or two. In any case, if you did need the seat re-foamed you could probably find a shop that can do it for a couple hundered or less...unless you need new leather too.

Congrats on the car btw...midnight blue is a great color and the wheels look good too!
Old 04-14-2013, 09:28 AM
Nthusiast
Instructor

Originally Posted by ABCar
New seats seem like an overkill. The seatbacks are pretty durable...could it be that you just don't fit the seat well? Post a picture or two. In any case, if you did need the seat re-foamed you could probably find a shop that can do it for a couple hundered or less...unless you need new leather too.

Congrats on the car btw...midnight blue is a great color and the wheels look good too!
I fit the seat very well (6', 180) and the leather is in great condition so I agree - new seats seem overkill. I'll look into getting them re-foamed.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:29 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats! Hopefully I will post the same next week :-)
Nice 991, you are very lucky to have both.

Could it be that sitting position in 993 is a bit different, i.e. your back is not used to it?
Old 04-14-2013, 10:19 AM
Nthusiast
Instructor

Originally Posted by NYC993
Congrats! Hopefully I will post the same next week :-)
Nice 991, you are very lucky to have both.

Could it be that sitting position in 993 is a bit different, i.e. your back is not used to it?
Thanks on the best wishes and let me know what you end up getting. And yes, I do consider myself very lucky to have both (no egos here).

I'll have to give more side-by-side comparison to see if it's the seating position. The steering wheel is a bit more upright in the 993 so it could be part of the reason (meaning that I'll need more seat cushion to raise me up enough to decrease the stress on my lower back). The other option is for me to start working out again to make my core stronger.

I think I'll still check out the option of re-foaming though.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:37 AM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations on picking up another Porsche! If you decide to fall of the slope new sports seats might be in order. GT3 Euro or 993 hard back seats are always nice.

-- Joe
Old 04-14-2013, 11:36 AM
AKTUNG
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats and welcome to glass top heaven.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:08 PM
Chris V
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice looking targa, my favorite model. But I'd find a new home for that ladder!
Old 04-14-2013, 12:35 PM
Nthusiast
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chris V
Nice looking targa, my favorite model. But I'd find a new home for that ladder!
That's exactly what my buddy said. The house is sold and the ladder will be in a safer location in the new place!
Old 04-14-2013, 12:38 PM
Nthusiast
Instructor

Originally Posted by Floodj
Congratulations on picking up another Porsche! If you decide to fall of the slope new sports seats might be in order. GT3 Euro or 993 hard back seats are always nice.

-- Joe
Thanks Joe. I'm sure I'll be falling off the slope...Koni's will be the first order of business. Any recommendations on where to research 993 hard backs?

- Jim
Old 04-15-2013, 06:08 PM
Guy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 189 Posts

I miss her already BUT it couldn't went to a nicer guy......thanks again, Jim and enjoy!!

The 993 Rennlist crew is second to none

Quick Reply: New Addition to the Family - thanks RL!