993 Forum 1995-1998

suspension upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 07:28 PM
saxony_wu
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension upgrade

Time to upgrade. Currently riding on stock Monroe with H&R sports springs. Don't track. Strictly street driving. Looking for comfy ride with handling improvements. We have lots of potholes in our city.

With limited budget and don't need anything fancy, I'm thinking of Koni FSD /H&R sports spring combo or H&R street coilover.

Searched the forum; couldn't find much info regarding these. Much appreciated if you guys can comment or share your experience?
Old 04-13-2013, 07:35 PM
SchnellAuto
Former Vendor

i have pss10 on sale...
Old 04-13-2013, 07:52 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 609 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by saxony_wu
With limited budget and don't need anything fancy, I'm thinking of Koni FSD /H&R sports spring combo or H&R street coilover.
I would go with the FSD and OEM M033 springs over the H&R springs unless you are looking for a significantly lower ride height. Koni doesn't recommend the FSD's to be used with lowering springs.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:21 PM
owen meany
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look into FSD. PSS10 or 9 are over kill unless you're doing track stuff. Even still, some track events would be fine with FSD.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:21 PM
dbrians
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just installed Bilstein HD's and M030's springs. Porsche offers a softer spring (softer than their M030) in their M033's and I would do that if I could have a do-over. I love how my car handles but expansion joints and other imperfections in the road surface come through just a little too sharply for my daily driver.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:25 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

I just upgraded mine - again.... I ended up going with PSS10's. I don't think they are overkill for the street and they are far from track coilovers. I was looking at the same options you were, FSD's or Bilstein HD's, but I wanted fully threaded coilvers not just extra threads. I was very close do doing the Bilstein HD's. I also didn't want to slam the car but it's low - but right in the middle of the recommended hight range for the PSS10's.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:29 PM
frankv
Rennlist Member

I just did the Koni FSD with M033 springs. Ride is nice and comfortable compared to the M030 suspension I came from. Lots of threads on here about the install and Paragon has a sale right now which helps on the budget side.

Regards, Frank
Old 04-14-2013, 06:50 PM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

I have found that over bumpy roads that the bilsteins and H&R springs are a very good combo, an authoritative thud is all i get, no bone jarring teeth rattling.
Which I know about, in the track car with 800lbs springs in front and 900's in the rear with solid mounts/derlin. YMMV

rob
Old 04-14-2013, 06:53 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by owen meany
Look into FSD. PSS10 or 9 are over kill unless you're doing track stuff.
Disagree with this. In fact, I think PSS10s are some of the best dampers for the street, but there are better ones for a more track-oriented car.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:24 PM
kg4nih
Intermediate

I went w/ the FSD/M033 combination; lowered to ROW sport height. I also replaced the front control arm bushing w/ Elephant Racing sport hardness bushings (mine were shot) and swapped my original motor mounts for Wevo SS/blacks. The motor mounts were likely a "slippery slope" decision; changing the rear shocks required fiddling w/ the motor mounts, so I figured why not?

With just 300 miles and one DE day, I'm happy with the results. I can't say how much is attributable to replacing worn structs/shocks/control arm bushings, the lowered height, or the Wevo's.

But overall, the car feels more direct and planted w/o being harsh.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:20 PM
owen meany
Instructor

If $ is not a concern than nothing is overkill. My comment is more about the $ difference. PSS10's would be awesome. If you're just tooling around on the street, you may not notice the difference between the 10's and the FSD's. If you've got the dough, go with the good stuff. If not, go with what will do the job well enough.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:00 AM
saxony_wu
Rennlist Member

I have the H&R sports springs and stock shocks right now. I like the lowered ride height but it is more for look than anything else. Car feels good on smooth roads only and gets bounced around on bumpy surfaces. Since the car is not doing any track time and I've the H&R springs already, I was thinking maybe Koni FSD make sense. But then I was told they don't work well with H&R springs that's why I have this concern.

My friend has HD/M030 and I found them pretty harsh for my taste. Our city has plenty of rough roads everywhere.

My mechanic told me FSD with ROW M033 may be the answer. Any idea what kind of ride height with that combo comparing to say the standard American ride height? My H&R is around 1.5 inches lower.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:25 AM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I have the H&R sports springs and stock shocks right now. I like the lowered ride height but it is more for look than anything else. Car feels good on smooth roads only and gets bounced around on bumpy surfaces. Since the car is not doing any track time and I've the H&R springs already, I was thinking maybe Koni FSD make sense. But then I was told they don't work well with H&R springs that's why I have this concern.

My friend has HD/M030 and I found them pretty harsh for my taste. Our city has plenty of rough roads everywhere.

My mechanic told me FSD with ROW M033 may be the answer. Any idea what kind of ride height with that combo comparing to say the standard American ride height? My H&R is around 1.5 inches lower.
Here is my car with FSD/M033's.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:46 AM
saxony_wu
Rennlist Member

Pirahna,
Looks good. How's the ride with this setup?
Mine is sitting a little lower than yours. Like the look but not the ride..
Old 04-15-2013, 09:48 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Pirahna,
Looks good. How's the ride with this setup?
Mine is sitting a little lower than yours. Like the look but not the ride..
Very similar to the stock ride with a slightly more sporty feel. It is even smother over bumps than stock but that may be because they are new shocks and the old ones had 65k miles on them.

Quick Reply: suspension upgrade