Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon Aluminum 993 shift knob

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 12:36 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going through the same issue with the same shifter and I do have crap in there but I think I just need a long thin philip screw driver to get in small opening .

Thanks JPP for pics and info .

Cheers Guy

Last edited by briefescape; 04-22-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:01 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it a phillips head screw in there?
Old 04-22-2013, 01:04 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

^^^ Mine was .. but I'm pretty sure it had been apart before so I can't say that the screw I found was the one it came with.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:57 PM
aribop
Race Car

I guess I'll dig into mine and see what I find.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:46 AM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JPP
There's a screw that holds the shift pattern disc on that's accessed from the inside through the bottom and then there's two screws that hold the aluminum to the carbon base. Here's what the shifter looks like disassembled ...

Got it ! There is no screw in the center hole in mine , you just need a long and slim enough steel rod ( screw driver ) that will fit in the center hole and just hammer the top cap off . Once cap is off you can unscrew the two screws ( btw the two screws in mine has flat screw heads not philip ) . Now hopefully I can get rid of the rattle because everything seems so tight I do not see where the rattle can come from .

Cheers Guy
Old 04-23-2013, 10:44 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by briefescape
Got it ! There is no screw in the center hole in mine , you just need a long and slim enough steel rod ( screw driver ) that will fit in the center hole and just hammer the top cap off . Once cap is off you can unscrew the two screws ( btw the two screws in mine has flat screw heads not philip ) . Now hopefully I can get rid of the rattle because everything seems so tight I do not see where the rattle can come from .

Cheers Guy
Huh. So, you are missing the center screw ... I mean, the 'hole' in your shiftpattern piece is threaded, right? Interesting that the other two are flat head screws .. is your's counter-bored like mine to clear the heads or is it counter-sunk for a 80-100 degree screwhead so the surface sits flush?
Old 04-23-2013, 11:21 AM
osugasman
Racer

Guy,

I'm betting mine is missing a screw as well. After using dental picks to remove a bunch of foam/tape/crud that had been bunched up at the end of the shifter receiver, the hole I see going through to the aluminum disc appears to not have a screw either. I will try a punch later on tonight to see if I can "pop" it out. I'm guessing some glue then is in order on reassembly or is the "pressure fit" enough?
Old 04-23-2013, 01:41 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JPP
Huh. So, you are missing the center screw ... I mean, the 'hole' in your shiftpattern piece is threaded, right? Interesting that the other two are flat head screws .. is your's counter-bored like mine to clear the heads or is it counter-sunk for a 80-100 degree screwhead so the surface sits flush?
There is no screw missing it is just a hole to punch the top shiftpattern piece out .
The rest is excatly counter -bored like yours .
Old 04-23-2013, 01:46 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

There is no screw missing it is just a hole to punch the top shiftpattern piece out .
The rest is excatly counter -bored like yours .
Ok ... so my shiftpattern metal disc is threaded in the center to accept a screw that goes through the hole in the upper shifter piece to secure it. It's hard to see the threads in my photo, but they're there .. Is your disk threaded like mine?
Old 04-23-2013, 01:58 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by osugasman
Guy,

I'm betting mine is missing a screw as well. After using dental picks to remove a bunch of foam/tape/crud that had been bunched up at the end of the shifter receiver, the hole I see going through to the aluminum disc appears to not have a screw either. I will try a punch later on tonight to see if I can "pop" it out. I'm guessing some glue then is in order on reassembly or is the "pressure fit" enough?
There is no missing screw . When you pop it out you will see a couple dap of some type of adhesive in the cap cavity .
Everything seems to be but together well . I think it is just a design flaw and the shifter **** is rattling on my short shift lever so I am going to reinstall the **** back on without reassembling the top parts and put some silicone from the top and then reassemble it .
The shift pattern cap pops back in really snug so I do not see a need to use adhesive . That`s my plan for now and will try it out and hopefully rattle will be no more .

Cheers Guy

Last edited by briefescape; 04-24-2013 at 03:34 AM.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:00 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JPP
Ok ... so my shiftpattern metal disc is threaded in the center to accept a screw that goes through the hole in the upper shifter piece to secure it. It's hard to see the threads in my photo, but they're there .. Is your disk threaded like mine?
No thread just a smooth bore .

Cheers Guy
Old 04-23-2013, 02:09 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

No thread just a smooth bore .

Cheers Guy
Well, that's a mystery. It begs the question, what purpose does that hole serve if it's not to accept hardware?
Old 04-23-2013, 02:14 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Mine is a loose fit BTW .. just plops right in the top of the shift ball .. maybe mine is earlier production?
Old 04-23-2013, 02:41 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JPP
Well, that's a mystery. It begs the question, what purpose does that hole serve if it's not to accept hardware?
No mystery now the hole is to have an access at popping out the shift-pattern cap off .

Like you said maybe if you are not the original owner of the shifter **** someone could of modified it ??

Cheers Guy
Old 06-24-2013, 12:37 PM
aribop
Race Car

Finally got around to taking mine apart and I have the same set-up as briefescape. No screw, just an access hole so you can punch out the shift pattern. It is just glued in to the top with the yellow glue that you see.

I guess there were two different designs or different manufacturers.
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Carbon Aluminum 993 shift knob