Sponsored by:

Sad day / steering rack advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 07:23 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
If it was moving/flying and hit his car and drove over it, it's a Comp claim. If he struck it in the roadway, stationary, it's collision. Pretty sure.
That's what it is here. Stationary object and its collision (your fault). Moving object HITS YOU and it's comprehensive (not your fault). Complete BS IMHO........only option is extreme evasive maneuvers which would likely cause a bigger accident.

To the OP, as others have said, look at it as a good opportunity to replace something that is a common repair item at this stage. Still sucks having that 1st "incident" with a new to you machine.

To Noah: as usual, a bit harsh. Made-me-laugh-in-an-inappropriate-place funny though.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:41 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm with Keith-document it, and claim it. Tomorrow has gotta be better.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:13 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Something similar happened to me 16 months ago. I drive my well cared cabrio for about 2000 miles/year and ran into a spare wheel on a highway without any chance to avoid the impact. Car in front of me was a truck that had enough clearance and traffic did not allow to avoid. This included a hard brake that I am well capable of due to track experience but I was worried about the silverado behind me with the roof down ...

It did not look bad at the beginning but I needed to use insurance because it took some money to properly repair. The good news is that I did not get injured and now have a euro front bumper. Have it well documented and do kit worry about car fax too much
Old 04-05-2013, 01:05 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 179 Posts
Default Pay me now or Pay me later, no free lunch with Auto Ins companies.

Sorry to read of the road hazard, but the "moment" with your son was priceless.

Depends a lot what your deductible level is and what the costs are. If you deductible is low (<500), then you are paying for the coverage, so use it.

Go with Comp if you can. "Bet the trailer hitch was moving . . ." if very slowly. Hard to tell when you are doing 50+.

I prefer high deductibles, makes a big difference in yearly costs, and in a few years, covers the cost difference of deductibles (assuming no claims during that window). YMMV, but you then need to be able to afford the out of pocket expenses at any time with high deductibles.

IMHO, Insure what you can't afford to loose, a steering rack repair is well within the maintenance window of 993 expense expectations, though unexpected and road hazard, "I" wouldn't go the Ins route (given deductible model I follow).
Old 04-05-2013, 01:21 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

That is a really freaky accident, glad you are OK and its just rack damage.

I would also check the rear, look carefully to see if any of those low lying parts got clipped, like the lower suspension arms or engine bottom. Just double check for peace of mind, sometimes damage is hard to spot.

On the positive side, racks are a weak spot on these cars, and now you will have a good one, so its not likely to cause you issues ever again! :-)

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-05-2013, 02:34 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
I would also check the rear, look carefully to see if any of those low lying parts got clipped, like the lower suspension arms or engine bottom. Just double check for peace of mind, sometimes damage is hard to spot.
Good points by Mike. I'd also add heat exchangers to that list.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:06 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks guys for all the positive supportive comments. I am pleased to announce I am now off suicide watch.

Originally Posted by linen grey ghost
Glad you and fellow travellers are unharmed, metal easier to repair than flesh - wonder if the hitch was removed from the roadway as some point in the day? Now that would be a good reason for flashing red and blue.
You know I couldn't help myself but go back to the scene of the crime. I found the draw bar and with some patience, safely retrieved it from the shoulder and now it is in my garage.

The piece that was making it stick up? It was a multiball hitch. You know the type 3 ***** so he can pull anything. Hopefully he was just a LITTLE pissed off when he got home and noticed his hitch is missing.

But what to do with it now. I have animosity towards it. I Can't keep it in the garage.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:44 PM
linen grey ghost
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In regards to animosity, think the movie "Office Space" and the 'printer in the field with a baseball bat" session - in your case the offending iron work could meet its' "maker" in a salvage yard crusher, steel mill smelter, a controlled demolition in a legally conducted manner, or for the slow punishment - tied to a boat dock; slowly dissolving away to nothing...

Yes, I have too much time on my hands and read too much in my youth...
Old 04-06-2013, 12:50 AM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 349 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by JB 911
But what to do with it now. I have animosity towards it. I Can't keep it in the garage.
You have an acetylene torch? That'd teach it who's boss!
Old 04-06-2013, 09:32 AM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by JB 911

You know I couldn't help myself but go back to the scene of the crime. I found the draw bar and with some patience, safely retrieved it from the shoulder and now it is in my garage.

If you feel so inclined you might consider posting an ad on Craigslist explaining what you "found" on highway # . . . . . and see who calls you.

Quick Reply: Sad day / steering rack advice