Sponsored by:

Sad day / steering rack advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 10:44 AM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Sad day / steering rack advice

Well guys, had a sad day in my short 993 ownership.

Where to start.

I am in what I would describe as pre rush hour traffic. Pretty heavy traffic, but all 4 lanes in my direction moving along at a fair 55-60 mph when 'it' appeared. A draw bar with ball attached that had fallen out of someones hitch. Plus it had something else on it since it wasn't laying flat. Car in front didn't swerve , tap brakes nothing, no warning, just went right over, gave no warning at all. But they weren't as low as me... It's slap bang in the middle of my lane no where to go that wouldn't require paint. For a split second I almost went all in on the brakes but I'm glad I didn't there was a truck behind me.

I went over it, held my breath. Didn't make it.

It ruptured the power steering rack between the front wheels. Right thru the plastic cover and thru the casing exposing a 2x2" ragged hole.

Unbelievably, it cleared the front bumper or just nicked it (theres a few scratchs down there) enough to bounce it up at the wrong angle to catch the rack. So there is no paint or body damage. Just mechanical. There appears to be no damage further back. Thank goodness.

Man I am so sad and bummed. I have only had the car for 3 months. I have been so careful with her. She's not my dd, so I really pick when & where I go with her.

Later at home, my 11 year old son put things in perspective. He sensed how down I was and he put his hand on my shoulder and said "dad, the important thing is YOU are ok." It was tough to admit, but he was right. There more I thought about it, just a little more force and I might have lost steering.

Anyways. SO on to the question. Haven't decided to claim or pay out of pocket. If out of pocket, I would probably look for a rebuilt rack, if I claim I would guess they would put a new one in? Prob pretty pricey. Any suggestions/ sources for rebuilds, recs, welcome. Fair to say I'm not going to be getting a core deposit back on this one.

(btw I'm not going to DIY the install. I have a good shop lined up to do that part my question is more claim/not claim /new /rebuilt/sources/experiences)

Thanks in advance and be careful out there.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:55 AM
Mister C
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

That really bites. Glad to hear that you are ok. Your son is correct--your health and well being is the most important thing of all.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:01 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Check it see if it is Comprensive and, if so, claim it.

Don't stress about it, that is a wear item that would likely need to be replaced soon anyway. Lemonaid from lemons!
Old 04-04-2013, 11:33 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

C'mon. It's a steering rack. No need to go on suicide watch.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:51 AM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

If your 993 has no previous collision history, you might consider how this will appear on CarFax if you ever decide to sell the car. From my experience, any collision history, no matter how minor or fully explained and documented, makes prospective buyers nervous. It might be better to pay our of pocket, depending on the total and your deductible.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:01 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Your son is pretty cool. I know how agonizing it is to be on an inexorable path of vehicular damage, but you should consider yourself relatively lucky. The hitch could have gone through the windshield and hit you, dented the floor pan, cracked the case, etc.

Originally Posted by NP993
That's some funny sh*t.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:03 PM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry to hear about this. I hope the recovery is relatively painless.

It always amazes me how much crap is on the roads. Thank goodness this was not worse.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:38 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,404 Likes on 813 Posts

precisely.

its a bummer, but ultimately, no big thing.

Get a rebuilt rack, eat the core charge, and you're done.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:47 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

JB,
Yep that sucks. But you've done well raising that son and he is already wise at 11....that's worth much more than any 993. Just yesterday on my way to work there was a large off-road jack in the adjacent lane that people were dodging and I had that thought....no way I'd clear that....gulp!
Originally Posted by BobbyT
If your 993 has no previous collision history, you might consider how this will appear on CarFax
Take pictures of damage, keep documentation of what happened, what was done to fix it, then IF it appears on CarFax, its easily explainable. Since CarFax isn't always right, people can fix accident damage without an accident claim, in the end the car itself is the indication of its condition not some piece of paper peddled by a fox...

Technical stuff aside, RL993 is always got some great entertainment value!

Deep breath, JB....all is ok.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:19 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

I didn't see that one coming lol that made me laugh...

Originally Posted by kjr914

Take pictures of damage, keep documentation of what happened, what was done to fix it, then IF it appears on CarFax, its easily explainable. Since CarFax isn't always right, people can fix accident damage without an accident claim, in the end the car itself is the indication of its condition not some piece of paper peddled by a fox...
Thanks Keith, that's some good advice. And I caught the 'fox' comment - nice. I certainly wouldn't have trouble buying with pics and receipt. Shoot, it is one less DIY on the horizon for a potential owner. But I have no plans to sell, and if I do, I hope to be in the position to not have to sell and not in a rush to sell. Although those two criteria tends to extend ownership by even a few more years

Anybody got a rebuilder to rec? I searched found a few. Plus a lot of you savy guys doing it yourself with the $75 - kit. That's not me at least for another 10years...
Old 04-04-2013, 04:04 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a thread 6-8 months back where STEVEc4s had a steering rack rebuilt by a shop that quadcammer recommended, it was less than $500 I think. Search for that thread.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:14 PM
linen grey ghost
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a thought, but might be timely to go through entire front end (depending on cars mileage).
Tie Rods, shocks, and probably an alignment might be useful with a rack replacement.

As others said: document (papers/photos) everything associated with repairs/renewal.

Glad you and fellow travellers are unharmed, metal easier to repair than flesh - wonder if the hitch was removed from the roadway as some point in the day? Now that would be a good reason for flashing red and blue.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:26 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 281 Posts

Sorry to hear about the mishap, Jamie. Im glad to hear you werent hurt and nothing more than the rack damage. Get some recs from local rennlisters and "handle your bitness". Just look at it as taking care of a wear item as someone suggested above. Im glad you're ok bro!!
Old 04-04-2013, 06:53 PM
4X4SCHE
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I flat spotted my tires stopping when the rusty rear bumper fell off a truck right in front of me. The driver heard the noise and walked back and casually asked me to help him pick it up. As we threw it in I saw it had a "**** Happens" sticker on it.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:02 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas993
Check it see if it is Comprensive and, if so, claim it.
If it was moving/flying and hit his car and drove over it, it's a Comp claim. If he struck it in the roadway, stationary, it's collision. Pretty sure.

Quick Reply: Sad day / steering rack advice