993 Forum 1995-1998

Rear CV Joint Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 04:38 PM
patela
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear CV Joint Question

My car is a '95 C4 - I've been told by my shop that one of my rear CV boots is missing, and that the CV joint is dry, so it needs to be replaced.

Is that correct? Does it have to be replaced, or can it just be regreased and have a new boot put on.

They said that to replace the CV Joint, I have to buy a whole new axle. Is that the only option? I searched a little and found a CV Joint kit by GKN Drivetech that some places say will fit the 993, and other say only fits 964. Any experience with this?

I just moved (to LA), so I'm not familiar with the shop, and don't have much to go on here.

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2013, 04:49 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If its been run dry (not knowing how long and how bad), its probably worn, so replacement makes some sense.

I bought my boot kits from these guys (no affiliation, happy customer) and they have the CV for sale seperate from an axle (I'm guessing that's expensive):
Joint/boot Kit - Rear Inner $ 81.32
http://www.ebsracing.com/item.wws?sk...O&weight=4.540

Same as you found probably: Manufacturer: GKN/LOEBRO
Old 03-14-2013, 04:51 PM
User 122821
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If the entire boot is missing, I would replace the joint and not re-grease the old one. If you are paying someone else to do the job, buying a complete axle is cheaper than having the joint replaced.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:21 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Just get a replacement axle. Much less work and no mess at the end of the day.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:45 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Depends on a lot of factors - and you are seeing varying answers because of that.

your mechanic needs to assess the wear on the CV - how worn out is it, what do the surfaces look like, etc. It sounds like he did that and said it needs to be replaced.

So you have a few options, replace the joint OR replace the shaft which has both joints included. The shaft replacement is typically more money for the unit, but it will save mechanic labor. If you are DIY, then the CV replacement might be cheaper given your labor is free. It does not matter which is messier at the end of the day since it looks like you are not doing it yourself.

Another advantage of getting a rebuilt driveshaft is you will get rebuilt CV's on both the inside and outside, and new boots -so you are not likely to have to revisit that shaft. If i was going to do one joint, I would check the other as well, and likely at a miniumum repack the joint. Then I would also check and repack the other side, but that is because my time is "free".

There are a few sources for rebuilt shafts, like Pelican, Vertex, Zims, etc.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-14-2013, 05:56 PM
element
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I still don't know why they don't re-enforce the boots with Kevlar or something like that.. as long as your boots are good and grease doesn't escape\get dirty they should last and last..

my hunch is that this is a multi-million dollar industry to service driveshafts!!!

phil.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:03 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

exactly - you know they could make lightbulbs that last forever years ago - but that would kill revenue...
Old 03-14-2013, 09:27 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

If it were my boot missing, and I had no idea how long it had been gone; there is a very good likelihood that debris and grit have been exposed to your CV BEARING joint. I'd purchase a new CV and install it myself.

If you've opened a CV and seen the polished bearings and cage, you'd understand completely the recommendation...

As mentioned above by non-DIY'ers; I could easily imagine that the labor hours (aka $$$) replacing a CV, exceeds the cost associated with purchasing a new axle assy., which includes two new CV's.

But think of the intimate moments you miss with your car
Old 03-14-2013, 10:19 PM
993KT
Racer

If the boot is missing, the car probably has been driven like that for quite a while. The inner joint could be messed up also. At least that happened to my car. The axle is $500 to $700, and I think it is about 5 hrs labor. It's not exactly the easiest job if you don't have the proper tools and space.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:36 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 249 Posts

Also..

There are two CV's (inner and outer) there are rebuild kits for the inner, but I've never seen replacement parts for the outer. As others have said, if dirt and debris have had a chance to work its way into the joint, its toast and needs to be replaced.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:30 AM
plymouthcolt
Instructor

I would also have them rebuild the other side unless you have documentation that its been done already.

Quick Reply: Rear CV Joint Question