Sponsored by:

Fabspeed cats to receive CARB approval!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 11:12 AM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike,
I used All Autos Smog at 2244 S. Santa Fe Ave. in Vista.
I had a Pennysaver coupon so it was $39.99 + $10 since the car is 1995.

No guarantees anywhere as to what the tech will check/not check, but I think Vista in general is not used to seeing Porsches.

Ted,
If you only knew how long it took me to make a set of exhaust with my little harbor freight Bandsaw and a pile of bender scrap! Seriously though, if you want to make up a set you are welcome to come down and borrow the jig. I don't have flanges, or cats, or enough tubing to make another set.

I have the CAD files for the exhaust flanges on my computer somewhere, so it's possible to make a stack of exhaust flanges from a laser or waterjet cutter...
Old 01-21-2014, 12:09 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Smile Here is the approach I use in CA

Every two (2) years, I take off the X pipe, off come the cat bypass pipes, and on go the stock cats…take the car to the SMOG station, have it tested (It always runs so clean)…get my certificate, go to AAA to re-register the car, then back to the shop to reinstall all that came off. It is not such a big deal.

Of course my car is off the road only

I do have the 200 cell Fabspeed cats…they sit on the shelf on my garage. I may have to sell them one of these days, don't use them, don't need them, being off road and all.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:33 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 459 Likes on 298 Posts

Thanks, Chaos.

Also, I saved my old OEM stuff, but it will be a HUGE PITA to have to swap it out for smog.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:35 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Smile Not that expensive

A couple of hundred bucks every 2 years for the swap, well worth it for me. I don't have a lift, and drawing under the car for this chore is indeed a PITA.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:48 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 459 Likes on 298 Posts

OK, thanks, Martin.

Actually, the shop that swapped out my exhaust was planning to throw all the OEM stuff away, but I figured I might EBay it, so I took it home. It makes for lovely "yard art" at the side of the house. I guess I should pack it away neatly for now. Shheesh, so I guess now I'm stuck keeping this pile of old parts forever.

I almost sold the mufflers and cats twice to RLers, but the shipping for the mufflers was too expensive. My old tips are running around in Georgia on an RLer's car.

The ends of the connection pipes are a bit tweaked from the shop forcing the old stuff apart, but should be able to be easily hammered back into shape.
Attached Images   
Old 03-27-2014, 05:36 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

Any updates on Fabspeed sport cats being CARB approved?

Quick Reply: Fabspeed cats to receive CARB approval!