Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fabspeed cats to receive CARB approval!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 05:11 AM
esc911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fwiw the fabspeed 200 cell cats will pass ca emissions. I know it fails the visual but if the operator isn't that knowledgeable it wouldn't be a problem. My car was purchased with 200 cell cats and a Steve Weiner chip and passed the emissions portion with flying colors. I was lucky the tech wasn't that thorough, so I passed visual too. YMMV.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:49 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick-A-Shay
1) To my knowledge, Fabspeed cats have not been CARB approved yet.

2) It appears that we lucky Porsche owners in CA are DMV directed to "Star Certified" smog stations that perform a detailed "under car" check for OE smog equipment. As noted in other posts, some leave the stock equipment on the car for smog certification, then return home and REinstall all the aftermarket goodies, and enjoy the ride for the next two years……
I have never been directed to a Star Cert station.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:57 PM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

The whole CARB idea is great, but shortsighted in implementation.
I have never had anyone explain why a car that passes the test with flying colors, even cleaner than original, would fail!?
The CARB requirements want original equipment with dirtier exhaust, versus newer equipment with cleaner exhaust?
Old 01-18-2014, 12:59 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW my car passed smog here in San Diego about two weeks ago with 100 cell cats. It's OBDI so the requirements are a little less stringent, and no post cat O2 sensor to trip the CEL.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:09 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

CARB, like most government run agencies, is comprised of politicians with an odd concoction of good intentions and ulterior motives.
I used to work for 2 different manufacturers of emissions devices and I know from experience that most people at CARB have no idea what they are doing.
With the proper loading it's definitely possible to make a set of 100/200 cell metallic cats that will have cleaner tailpipe emissions than OEM.

It's the same type of logic that explains why we can't have 65 mpg VW TDI Polo's and Golfs, or diesel Mini Coopers here...
Old 01-18-2014, 02:02 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree that the whole CARB thing is shortsighted. I'm not disagreeing with that.

But in Cali (and some other states) a visual is done and they often times look for CARB certification. This is not an issue with OBDI vehicles. There are stations that don't visualize for smog, but shops change workers and sometimes we move and don't have these conveniences.

I'm really not wanting to change out my cats every 2 years just for smog approval. Let's get a CARB number on these cats and the issue is resolved. Otherwise I'm not buying one.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:11 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I have.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:28 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Ed, maybe this is your year! I too was directed to a Star Cert Station...The tech couldn't find the OBDII port

I helped him out free of charge

I'm really not wanting to change out my cats every 2 years just for smog approval. Let's get a CARB number on these cats and the issue is resolved. Otherwise I'm not buying one.
Marc, maybe the time to buy is now...If CARB approval goes through, how much you want to bet the prices for the 200 cell cats rise significantly??
I'm jus sayin...
Old 01-18-2014, 10:13 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I've been looking for my OBDII port for years....
Old 01-19-2014, 12:12 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Funny that we have not heard from Fabspeed ...
I suspect CARB approval ain't gonna happen
Old 01-19-2014, 12:20 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
Funny that we have not heard from Fabspeed ...
I suspect CARB approval ain't gonna happen
It wouldn't surprise me. My guess is it isn't inexpensive to submit for approval, independent of whether it meets the standards. Our market simply isn't big enought to provide the ROI, IMO.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:14 AM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe CA Rennlisters could start a Fabspeed Cat Certification fund and once CARB gives the approval, we could all do a group buy and get a discount for helping Fabspeed pass the test…… just say'in
Old 01-19-2014, 11:26 AM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

I've been looking for my OBDII port for years....
LOL ... Bet you also can't find your varioram either?
Old 01-19-2014, 11:37 AM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rick-A-Shay
Maybe CA Rennlisters could start a Fabspeed Cat Certification fund and once CARB gives the approval, we could all do a group buy and get a discount for helping Fabspeed pass the test…… just say'in
Good idea!

It would be nice to know what the actual cost to get CARB approval and also the likelihood that Fabspeed would get this. I started this post when I was talking with them back in March of 2013 and still nothing. I hope they're still pushing for it.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:05 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

The OEM cats are about a 400 cpi metallic substrate. It will be tough to push a 200cpi substrate through the CARB approval process.
1996+ OBDII cars require Tier1 cert standards which are specific to the vehicle model/engine combination. It's a long expensive process and there is a lot more to it than just proving that the tailpipe emissions are okay.
AFAIK there are no metallic CARB approved aftermarket catalytic converters available.

FWIW I run these on my car: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Magnaflow...-/171124349307 and just passed smog easily, fortunately the smog referee never peaked under the engine.

Quick Reply: Fabspeed cats to receive CARB approval!