Sponsored by:

FS: 993/964 RS Clutch and FW Package

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 09:47 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by axl911
This thing would out embarass an old Mercedes diesel. Or an E30 M3 if you ever had the pleasure.
Music to the ears for anyone coming off a dry clutch Ducati. :-D
Old 03-15-2013, 01:22 PM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

PM sent yesterday evening
cheers/Brian
Old 03-16-2013, 01:14 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by axl911
I have a '95 with the LWF and it stalls. There are 2 fixes. One is a chip from Steve Weiner. The other is installation of the v-ram intake.

There is no fix for the rocks-in-the-dryer noises at idle though. This thing would out embarass an old Mercedes diesel. Or an E30 M3 if you ever had the pleasure.
I have had Steve Weiners chip for roughly 9 years and my car still stalls once in a while. I have been to the shop so many times its not even funny trying to resolve the issue in the first few years. The v-ram intake will not resolve the issue either, from what I have read. The only real fix out there would be to stick with the DMF, or possibly upgrade to the MWF.

My gut tells me Steve wouldnt be introducing a MWF if the the LWF wasnt known to being very problematic, since the stalling rates are over roughly 70% of the install base--- 95's that is. Other years stall as well, but not as much. This is solid proof that the industry recogonizes big issues with LWF's and 993s---hence the reason for push for a MWF moving forward.

In closing, I will disagree the Steve Weiner chip and a v-ram intake will resolve stalling problems. I will agree that sticking with a DMF is probably the best resolution to avoid stalls and the marbles in a tin can sound that is produced (some louder than others) and a distant 2nd is seeing the results of others with the MWF.

Out for a mountain drive today in the 993---its been sitting and time to light it up a little.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:29 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 C4 993
My gut tells me Steve wouldnt be introducing a MWF if the the LWF wasnt known to being very problematic, since the stalling rates are over roughly 70% of the install base--- 95's that is.
Where did that 70% number come from? Given we do not know the world-wide sales of the RS Flywheel worldwide, nor specifically the number installed on 95 93's, I do not get the math. The number could be closer to 50% - we just do not know. Since this forum is a 993 forum, we would see a disproportionate number of complaints since it's the avenue to complain ... but people who are happy may not comment, nor even be on the list. I agree that it appears to be an issue with the 95's, but not sure of the exact %.

The real question is, why is it not 100% of the 95's? What makes the difference? Is it the driver's technique, or engine condition? Mileage and wear? Some factor that is not obvious (local climate, altitude, O2 sensor wear, ...) Any different versions of the software introduced in the 95MY? Its just seems strange that it appears not to be all of them .... and why is your car especially hard hit?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-16-2013, 01:29 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

big issues with LWF's and 993s--- ...the marbles in a tin can sound that is produced...

Out for a mountain drive today in the 993---its been sitting and time to light it up a little.
Interesting paradox. On one hand, we look forward to "lighting it up a little" and on the other, we complain about a mod which helps us do just that.

ANY modification we make will have trade-offs.

If you want better handling, then by all means install a monoball suspension and biggie springs, but please then don't complain about the less than smooth ride.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:38 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

I used to have a USA 964 Cup which is the same as 964 Euro RS = LWF, no A/C, single belt alternator drive, and no power steering. It also has a taller 3.15 first gear making it harder to get the car rolling, particularly on a hill.

The car had to be driven around the LWF or it would stall at times. A little care and feeding with a bit of gas during clutch engagement was all.

That is just the way it is and one either learns to live with it or go back to the lump.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:46 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

how much harder is the clutch peddle pressure?
Old 03-16-2013, 03:05 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

The mod does not make the car move any faster but rather response, which we all know. Im not complaining but rather stating the facts. I personally (and please, this is just my opinion) believe the LWF is not a wise choice for an average "street driver" because of the high rate of stalling. Stalling is not a trade off.

Originally Posted by KaiB
Interesting paradox. On one hand, we look forward to "lighting it up a little" and on the other, we complain about a mod which helps us do just that.

ANY modification we make will have trade-offs.

If you want better handling, then by all means install a monoball suspension and biggie springs, but please then don't complain about the less than smooth ride.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:34 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

The 70% number came from a poll of 95 owners on Rennlist --you can search it. I dont know why its not 100% but 70% is still pretty high. A 70% "failure" rate is not good and I think its higher. Porsche 993's shouldnt stall, or any car for that matter. The bottom line is the LWF and 95's are known to be problematic and have 70% more tendancy to stall than those who dont have them. If the number is closer to 50%, thats still way too high. Mine started stalling at day one---39,000 miles on the clock---37,000 miles later about several thousands dollars in upgrads, tweeks, and tunes---it still stalls now and then. I have replaced about everything you could possibly replace, did every smoke test, ISV cleans, bla, bla, bla---its all been done and I still get a stall every know and then. My engine is in prime performance and tuned mode----always has been.

It is what is but the facts state a Steve Weiner/Steve Wong chip and every home remedy known to man kind has not resolved the issue. Has it helped stalling issues, yes but not resolved them. Mr. Weiner was involved with my stalling and check sum issues with chips several years ago. Im quite sure both Steve's will admit that a LWF and their chip have not cured the issue in 95's. I would suggest anyone who's mechanic recommends a LWF, they get it in writing for a money back guarentee (parts and labor) if the vehicle stalls. Now they warn you up front there is a good chance it will stall, thats another question. Im sure people moving forward wont touch the LWF, not that Steve Weiner has a MDF. The resolution moving forward is a MWF---Im sure they wouldnt recommended a LWF for the average driver, or their worst enemy.

LWF's and 95's are probleamatic--period. I know how to drive my car, my is finely tuned, my O2 sensor is brand new (just have it replaced last summer),, brand new plugs (including #12) wires, ISV.........you name it, its been done on my car.

Originally Posted by Mike J
Where did that 70% number come from? Given we do not know the world-wide sales of the RS Flywheel worldwide, nor specifically the number installed on 95 93's, I do not get the math. The number could be closer to 50% - we just do not know. Since this forum is a 993 forum, we would see a disproportionate number of complaints since it's the avenue to complain ... but people who are happy may not comment, nor even be on the list. I agree that it appears to be an issue with the 95's, but not sure of the exact %.

The real question is, why is it not 100% of the 95's? What makes the difference? Is it the driver's technique, or engine condition? Mileage and wear? Some factor that is not obvious (local climate, altitude, O2 sensor wear, ...) Any different versions of the software introduced in the 95MY? Its just seems strange that it appears not to be all of them .... and why is your car especially hard hit?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-16-2013, 03:35 PM
eric523
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The mod does not make the car move any faster but rather response, which we all know. Im not complaining but rather stating the facts. I personally (and please, this is just my opinion) believe the LWF is not a wise choice for an average "street driver" because of the high rate of stalling. Stalling is not a trade off.
That's your opinion. It's not stating facts.

It isn't for everyone, and very clearly not for you. Thanks for your contribution to my for sale thread.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:58 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

The fact is the upgrade/response is great and fits well to my driving style. I
have never complained about the upgrade, my dislike is the occassional stall.

As your average street driver, I think the upgrade is for everyone but the stalling is for no one.

The only advice Im putting on the table is make sure one thinks a LWF through and knows the facts before they install it in a 95.

Originally Posted by eric523
That's your opinion. It's not stating facts.

It isn't for everyone, and very clearly not for you. Thanks for your contribution to my for sale thread.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:07 PM
eric523
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The fact is the upgrade/response is great and fits well to my driving style.

As your average street driver, I think the upgrade is for everyone but the stalling is for no one.
Again, I'm sorry, those are not facts, that is purely a subjective opinion.

Just as race gas costs too much ''for anyone'', or it smells funny.
Or racing slicks have horrible traction on the street, are noisy, expensive, and don't last very long.
Or stiff springs and shocks on a lowered car is ''completely unpractical'' and rides like $h!t and ''nobody would ever want that''.
Or a loud exhaust system is obnoxious and completely ridiculous '' for anybody to use''.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:08 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
how much harder is the clutch peddle pressure?
Zero difference. The pressure plate is the same, only the disc and flywheel change.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:11 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Survey says of the 44 those who responded on Rennlist, 60% have stalling issues on their 95's. Another Rennlist survey puts at at 70% that have stalls. Two sample surverys show that the stall rate is 60-70%.

View Poll Results: How many people have had stalling issues with the LWF and a 1995 993?
I've never had any stalling issues. 20 41.67%
I have occasional stalling issues (approx. once every 25 times per drive). 17 35.42%
I have constant stalling issues (one or more times on every drive). 3 6.25%
I used to have stalling issues, but I have fixed them. 4 8.33%
I used to NEVER (or almost never) have stalling issues, but now I have them. 4 8.33%

Originally Posted by Mike J

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-16-2013, 04:19 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Fact #1 : There is a 60-70% chance of stalling with a LWF in a 1995 993's.
Fact number 2: 60-70% of 95's with a LWF stall.

****Lets say give or take 10% to be fair.

Subjective opinion # 1---I dont think people like it when their 993's stall.
Subjective opinion #2---I dont like it when my 993 stalls. Actually, that is subjective fact.

Originally Posted by eric523
Again, I'm sorry, those are not facts, that is purely a subjective opinion.

Just as race gas costs too much ''for anyone'', or it smells funny.
Or racing slicks have horrible traction on the street, are noisy, expensive, and don't last very long.
Or stiff springs and shocks on a lowered car is ''completely unpractical'' and rides like $h!t and ''nobody would ever want that''.
Or a loud exhaust system is obnoxious and completely ridiculous '' for anybody to use''.

Quick Reply: FS: 993/964 RS Clutch and FW Package