993 Forum 1995-1998

993 Project continues - Going Wide

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 01:08 AM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 201 Posts

Why would someone cut up a stock classic car is beyond me?

Old 02-28-2013, 01:09 AM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 201 Posts

ohh and in to watch progress.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:18 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Boost
Why would someone cut up a stock classic car is beyond me?

Yeah, you tell me...

Just received some nice packages today:

EVO1 front bumper and splitter (GT Racing):

14" Fender flares and skirts from FVD. These are top notch quality with Kevlar reinforcements on the inside etc.:

EVO2 "banana" wing:

And ofcourse I had to try the flares on a little... the rear flares do not mate very well with the NB quarters but the fronts mend in well. Plenty of room for proper rubber there!!

I should get the sheet metal bits (turbo rear quarters + rockers) by end of the week as well as the Work wheels so beginning of next week it is go time!!!
Old 03-06-2013, 02:39 PM
Washabi
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

nice, can't wait to see it completed. my 993 is sitting in the shop primed and awaiting paint work.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:14 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

my 993 is sitting in the shop primed and awaiting paint work
What are you doing to it? Something fun?
Old 03-06-2013, 03:24 PM
Washabi
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by JPS
What are you doing to it? Something fun?
993 rsr widebody.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:07 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Juha the EVO front bumper works out nicely, but a fit of fabrication. I don't think the AC will fit on the driver side with an extra oil cooler added. I fabricated two cooler mounts using the factory bracket as a template. You will need to unbolt the cooler and AC unit (or second cooler left side). Fit the nose without the coolers in place, then work on the brackets and reinstall the nose. You may need to cut the some relief notches in the nose to get it bend easily. I made it as flexible as possible until it fit then re-glassed the notches. I would also suggest painting while on the car just don't install the rubber gaskets yet. Looks good.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:10 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 371 Posts

As an alternative to cutting up the very expensive front fenders I came across these guys
Hahn-GFK

look at KOTFLÜGEL
Old 03-06-2013, 04:55 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Glen or Bob or Matt would know better that me as I only have part #s for the wide bodies

As with the street cars the race car tie rods come as an outer/inner set, you buy 2, one for each side
These are the part #s I have it appears that the n/b Cup used the same parts as the w/b GT2 and RSR
GT2Evo/RSR/Cup mit mono-ball 993.347.031.80 or
993RS mit harder rubber 993.347.031.81
993street mit softer rubber 993.347.031.03

993.347.131.01 inner w/ rubber
993.347.131.02 GT2/RSR/Cup inner

To be sure measure the length of your outer, I have a couple of RS outer/inners that I can measure here.

7" from the outer end to the start of the thread, 14.75" from end to end when set up for a n/b car. I can get an end to end by taking it apart but i'm too lazy.
I measured mine and it seems that the outers on RS and GT2 are the same part. I got a little less than 180mm from end to beginning of thread. Your's was 7" which is 177mm...
It doesn't look like there is any difference in length in the inner rods either (looking at your photos). So can we assume that the only difference between the RS and the GT2 tie rods is the way the inner rod is connected...?

Originally Posted by bobt993
Juha the EVO front bumper works out nicely, but a fit of fabrication. I don't think the AC will fit on the driver side with an extra oil cooler added. I fabricated two cooler mounts using the factory bracket as a template. You will need to unbolt the cooler and AC unit (or second cooler left side). Fit the nose without the coolers in place, then work on the brackets and reinstall the nose. You may need to cut the some relief notches in the nose to get it bend easily. I made it as flexible as possible until it fit then re-glassed the notches. I would also suggest painting while on the car just don't install the rubber gaskets yet. Looks good.
Thanks for the heads up and help again Bob, it is much appreciated!!

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
As an alternative to cutting up the very expensive front fenders I came across these guys
Hahn-GFK

look at KOTFLÜGEL
Hmmm... they are in Germany... Then again, V-Zweeden seems to have a good stock of used fenders etc. I paid 1200eur for a pair of used OEM turbo rear quarters.
I'm not converting the car back to NB so I have no use for the fenders but ofcourse it seems stupid to cut up perfect steel fenders when you can get plastic knockoffs for that...
Old 03-06-2013, 05:02 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V
Wow Juha, great project. It never stops, does it?

We need to catch up . It's been a while. The only thing missing in your build list is a set of BBS e88 race wheels for your new project. I have too many of these and need to make some room in the garage. I can probably make widths and offsets/color as you like. You seem to have already made up your mind about the wheels though . Maybe I'll shoot you an email later.

Great project regardless!

Viggo, I might be interested in the E88s. I was pricing out a new set but the 8-10week delivery time made me look for something else.
Let's wait until we get the bits on the car and see what the correct specs for the wheels should be. I think the Work wheels will be very close...

This summer I am coming over to Stockholm with the 993 for sure!!

Originally Posted by Mike J
Very nice project Juha - it's like a tasteful Finn Rauh-Welt with real ***** underneath.

Post pictures of the conversion, it should lots of fun.

BTW, this must be more than a few $$$ -> you willing to give an idea of the overall budget?

Cheers,

Mike
Hahah!! Finn-rauhwelt....

For $$$$, I don't dare to count....

Originally Posted by Mr Swed
HYVÄ Juha!! I,m still in the phase to copy your first RS replica. (do you still have your old bbs)
regards
Rob
Sorry Rob, I sold the LMs. But you can have my RSCS front bumber/splitters and my 3.8RS rear wing if you want.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:22 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 269 Posts

Awesome Juha. I'm going to enjoy this thread...

Forgive me if posted above, but did you decide on a color?
Old 03-07-2013, 12:42 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Juha,

First... wow

Second, don't cut those front fenders. Have you seen what Porsche is asking for them new? Hang 'em in your garage, they will do better than the stock market. Order a set of FG or CF fenders and cut those.

What's your plan to attach the flares? I'd suggest nutserts, see here: http://www.avdelusallc.com/products/nutsert.shtml

Tarett is an ERP reseller and those tie rods are uber nice.

I have a couple extra brake booster spacers that I had machined exactly for this application. Let me know if you want me to send you one.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:35 AM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is going to get good

IN!
Old 03-07-2013, 07:43 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jdistefa
What's your plan to attach the flares? I'd suggest nutserts, see here: http://www.avdelusallc.com/products/nutsert.shtml

Tarett is an ERP reseller and those tie rods are uber nice.

I have a couple extra brake booster spacers that I had machined exactly for this application. Let me know if you want me to send you one.
I bought the installation kit from FVD so I have the correct bolts and nuts but I like the idea of replacing the nuts with insert nuts. That is the proper way of doing it!

If you really have extra spacers, I would be very glad to acquire a set. I will send you a pm.

Wheels came in today (well, actually only two but luckily one front and one rear). So tonight I can test fit them on the car, should look funny with the NB fenders...

And yes, they are Brombachers, not Meister S1 what I ordered. Work made a mixup on their webshop (this was a set in stock) and had wrong wheel name and photos on the for sale ad. The actual wheels they had were Brombachers. As they had identical specs, I was ok with them instead. I think they look great!

Last edited by Juha G; 03-07-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:50 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Juha G
I measured mine and it seems that the outers on RS and GT2 are the same part. I got a little less than 180mm from end to beginning of thread. Your's was 7" which is 177mm...
It doesn't look like there is any difference in length in the inner rods either (looking at your photos). So can we assume that the only difference between the RS and the GT2 tie rods is the way the inner rod is connected...?
correct
there is only 1 outer used on RS/Cup/RSR/GT2evo, the straight version used first on 993RS then also used on Cup, RSR and GT2, Tarrett and others sell an aftermarket version of the RS outer which has o/s's to further adjust bump steer.

there are 3 factory versions of the inners,
the normal and RS are have a rubber insert and look the same, RS is stiffer, the RSR/GT2evo has a pure mono-ball connection

top RSR/GT2 evo, bottom one of the rubber center versions

Quick Reply: 993 Project continues - Going Wide