Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Regular or Premium Gas for 993?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 09:26 PM
Leon993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Titan, thats kinda what I thought.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:31 PM
Leon993
Racer

Yes Rudy,

I have never noticed the slight bit of difference from regular and premium.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:55 PM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
There's only a few reasons to use regular gas in a 993 since the manufacturer recommends premium.

*You're cheap.

*You're stupid.

*You think it's OK to do so. If so, read the firs two reasons above.

Therefore, I'd keep it to myself if I were putting regular gas instead of premium into my 993
Wow!! Now you have taking this a bit to far!!! I bet you are a guy with NO wife and NO kids and one day you are going to push somebody's button and the are going to give you a good A$$ whipping, that's problaly what you need ....
Old 02-23-2013, 10:00 PM
Leon993
Racer

GOOFBALLDELUXE: YOU ARE TYPE OF GUY THAT DELEGITIMIZES THE TECHNICAL INTEGRITY OF THIS FORUM .

LET ME GUESS:

YOU ARE THE TYPE OF 993 OWNER WHO TALKS A BIG GAME ON RENNLIST, HAS NO LIFE OUTSIDE THIS FORUM AND ONLY DRIVES HIS PORSCHE TO POSE AT STARBUCKS.

Yeah...a total goof ball of the deluxe varierty. What a looser!
Old 02-23-2013, 10:08 PM
dave911rsr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

87 octane? People checking mileage on their 993's? They just don't understand the passion for Porsches.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:35 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

I read somewhere that the car will accept the lower octane by adjusting itself (timing?), but it will net less horsepower. Because I specifically bought the car to enjoy its power, I follow the manufacturer's recommendation, which if I recall is to run a minimum octane of 92. We have 93 where I live. I am recalling on memory, so if my numbers are a little off, do forgive me. But I do not regret running the higher test fuel. I also don't see the need for running higher than needed in a normally aspirated car. I would not label that as "stupid". I would label that as simply following guidelines.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:38 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Aside from the good stuff (non-eth 92) I like to use a LubroMoly cocktail reco'd by Mr. Weiner,,,

Haven't really noticed any stark difference with the p-car but I have no doubt it's made a difference with the GTI.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:58 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Leon993
GOOFBALLDELUXE: YOU ARE TYPE OF GUY THAT DELEGITIMIZES THE TECHNICAL INTEGRITY OF THIS FORUM .

LET ME GUESS:

YOU ARE THE TYPE OF 993 OWNER WHO TALKS A BIG GAME ON RENNLIST, HAS NO LIFE OUTSIDE THIS FORUM AND ONLY DRIVES HIS PORSCHE TO POSE AT STARBUCKS.

Yeah...a total goof ball of the deluxe varierty. What a looser!
LEON, LET ME FORMALLY APOLOGIZE FOR MY COMMENTS. I SINCERELY REGRET THEM. INSTEAD, LET ME URGE YOU TO RUN ONLY THE RECOMMENDED GAS AS STATED THE OWNERS INSTRUCTION MANUAL. MANY BAD THINGS CAN HAPPEN INSIDE THE ENGINE IF ONE USES LOW OCTANE GAS OVER AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME. ALSO, I THINK YOU MEANT "LOSER".

I'm off to pose at Starbucks. Anyone want anything while I'm there?
Old 02-23-2013, 11:01 PM
blacksparrow
Instructor

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
Aside from the good stuff (non-eth 92) I like to use a LubroMoly cocktail reco'd by Mr. Weiner,,,

Haven't really noticed any stark difference with the p-car but I have no doubt it's made a difference with the GTI.
Can you elaborate on the "cocktail" please... recipe, benefits and how often?

Old 02-23-2013, 11:01 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Opo
one day you are going to push somebody's button and the are going to give you a good A$$ whipping, that's problaly what you need ....
Meet me at Starbucks? I'm buying!
Old 02-24-2013, 01:30 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Originally Posted by blacksparrow
Can you elaborate on the "cocktail" please... recipe, benefits and how often?

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...n-buildup.html
Old 02-24-2013, 01:41 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
I'm off to pose at Starbucks. Anyone want anything while I'm there?
Yeah, three of these:

Old 02-24-2013, 03:03 AM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

I gotta hand it to you Goof ... you take senseless criticism well. The humor is awesome.

A note ... if you are going to ask a bunch of guys/gals their opinion on something, don't expect less than honesty. It may be that some of us could word it nicer, but nice doesn't cut it when it comes to technical issues. Personally, when it comes to stuff like what octane to use, I consult Porsche. I don't take chances. My cars are frequently seen at the track - I don't risk anything that might attribute to engine failure or mismanagement. If you don't like some of the answers here, that is your prerogative. But don't think for even a moment that folks are not genuinely concerned with the health of your 993.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:30 AM
Stuttgart951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Leon993
I have never noticed the slight bit of difference from regular and premium.
Originally Posted by tian647
For these reasons, blindly spending extra for higher octane fuel is counter-productive at best, and using regular grade fuels doesn't necessarily qualify one as cheap or stupid.
As the learned-types in this thread have suggested, but curiously not expanded upon, the "difference" isn't something you can truly appreciate until the engine comes apart.

"Blindly" doing just about anything is foolish. However, the majority of the advice being given in this thread doesn't qualify as blind. Unneccessarily harsh, perhaps - but not blind.

If you use lower quality fuels, you will almost certainly end up with elevated levels of carbon build up. Specific to our cars; this is bad no matter how you look at it, and even worse for OBDII 993's, thanks to the Holy Government (Amen).

With what do you think the SAI ports become clogged?

The decision is simple for me. You spend ten's of thousands of dollars on a car with the knowledge that, eventually, you are going to have to refresh the top end to the tune of another painful check... and the logic behind using the lowest quality fuels one can find is to save three dollars per fill up - at the risk of a relatively prematurely lit CEL?

Why?
Old 02-25-2013, 10:45 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuttgart951
As the learned-types in this thread have suggested, but curiously not expanded upon, the "difference" isn't something you can truly appreciate until the engine comes apart.

"Blindly" doing just about anything is foolish. However, the majority of the advice being given in this thread doesn't qualify as blind. Unneccessarily harsh, perhaps - but not blind.

If you use lower quality fuels, you will almost certainly end up with elevated levels of carbon build up. Specific to our cars; this is bad no matter how you look at it, and even worse for OBDII 993's, thanks to the Holy Government (Amen).

With what do you think the SAI ports become clogged?

The decision is simple for me. You spend ten's of thousands of dollars on a car with the knowledge that, eventually, you are going to have to refresh the top end to the tune of another painful check... and the logic behind using the lowest quality fuels one can find is to save three dollars per fill up - at the risk of a relatively prematurely lit CEL?

Why?
hold on now. You are saying that the lowest octane fuel is the lowest quality. I don't believe you can make that statement.

Quick Reply: Regular or Premium Gas for 993?