993 Forum 1995-1998

Regular or Premium Gas for 993?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 12:37 PM
mdude
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 190 Posts

Have a question that is not so much about Octane but sourcing of gas:

Would it be a true statement to say all major brands of gas is fine for our cars? Is a 93-Octance from Costco the same as a 93 from, say, Shell or Chevron?

I've been using Costco for years, believing it to not be the highest grade money can buy (at an given octane) but nonetheless good enough for the P-car. True/false?
Old 02-25-2013, 01:02 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm not sure if they have changed, but at some point a couple of years ago, IIRC, Costco gas had no detergent additives, unlike Chevron, Shell, etc.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:31 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by mdude

Would it be a true statement to say all major brands of gas is fine for our cars? Is a 93-Octance from Costco the same as a 93 from, say, Shell or Chevron?

I've been using Costco for years, believing it to not be the highest grade money can buy (at an given octane) but nonetheless good enough for the P-car. True/false?
Thats really an excellent question and sadly enough, it depends on what state you live in, whether they run a testing program, and applicable state laws.

Here in Oregon, the state hardly has even a token testing & compliance program so its Laisse Faire for gas wholesalers and retailers. Further, OR laws allow the sale of "end gas"; fuel that's left in the pipelines when they changeover from one product (heating oil, gasoline, diesel) to another and its quality isn't good.

You might wish to investigate & learn what your state's fuel laws are to get an accurate answer to your question.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:58 PM
mdude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Thats really an excellent question and sadly enough, it depends on what state you live in...
Thanks, Steve, for taking the time to reply. I'm in TX.

Further, is pro-longed used of E10 or even E15 fuel (% of ethanol) adverse to 993 engines?
Old 02-25-2013, 01:59 PM
mdude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I'm not sure if they have changed, but at some point a couple of years ago, IIRC, Costco gas had no detergent additives, unlike Chevron, Shell, etc.
Costco claims to have 4X the required cleaning agents to gov't requirements. I have no idea what that exactly entails, but take it to mean it has some detergent.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:09 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

In short, no. All brands have slightly different additives.

RON is just the octane level that must be met. Think of it this way, different wines may have the same alcohol content, yet taste drastically different, AND have very different qualities.

I was told that Costco sources gas from the low bidder, while the major brands may submit bids, I doubt you are getting Chevron with Techron at Costco prices.

Additionally, Texas Costco may operat differently than the Costcos in other states or regions. I suspect they each have to meet whatever regulations apply for that area, and that is likely different, especially here in CA.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:01 PM
Stuttgart951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
hold on now. You are saying that the lowest octane fuel is the lowest quality. I don't believe you can make that statement.
I suppose my words do suggest that; yes.

Specific location and winter/summer blends notwithstanding; would it be accurate to state that burning a lower octane fuel from Gas Station X could result in a relatively increased risk of carbon buildup when compared to a burning a higher octane fuel from the same station?
Old 02-25-2013, 03:25 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chicken urine and sudafed through a coffee filter will clean that right up. Don't forget to pop your O2 sensors out first and have a couple friends plug the holes with there thumbs. Post 95-

Only 1 friend needed 94-95

But for most cases I would go with premium if you can.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:18 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not agree or disagree, but I once heard that if you run a high enough octane (premium?), it doesn't matter what brand as it will burn clean enough. Not sure about that statement -this thread seemed like a great place to bring it up.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:35 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Thanks, Steve, for taking the time to reply. I'm in TX.

Further, is pro-longed used of E10 or even E15 fuel (% of ethanol) adverse to 993 engines?
My pleasure.

E10 is OK, but E15 is certainly not. Long-term use of E10 simply means that any rubber fuel system component won't last as long as possible and I usually replace such things either by inspection or by how old the car is.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:40 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by Bonster
I do not agree or disagree, but I once heard that if you run a high enough octane (premium?), it doesn't matter what brand as it will burn clean enough. Not sure about that statement -this thread seemed like a great place to bring it up.
Unfortunately, not true.

Octane ratings do not affect the detergent package that oil companies use. Some use more and some use less to save money and boost the net earnings.

Based on my observations, I've found that a regular program of using good fuel additives keeps the injectors cleaner for longer periods as well as controlling soft carbon deposits on the back of the intake valves.

I've had success using LubroMoly Ventil Sauber & Jectron together as well as the large bottles of Techron.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:49 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks, Steve. I always thought that was a little fishy. I don't have as many options as some areas, but I still never use a "no-name" company. I will be more careful to make sure of those detergents. Think I will start using that additive as well, especially since my cars see a decent amount of track time.

What brands (not station names, but the fuel itself) do you most recommend?
Old 02-25-2013, 11:21 PM
tian647
Instructor

What brands (not station names, but the fuel itself) do you most recommend?
I'm certainly not Steve but I'll suggest this is a reasonable place to start: <http://www.toptiergas.com/>

Also it is useful to note that most gas formulations are very region specific - there's typically only a single wholesale depot that all the franchise affiliates send their trucks to top off at so you get the same base fuel stock across brands; what differentiates the retailers (and grades) is the proprietary additive package they mix into their unique blends.

Regards,

Christian
'95 Carrera
Old 02-25-2013, 11:26 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Awesome info, Christian, thanks.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:47 PM
blacksparrow
Instructor

Awesome info, Christian, thanks.
Agreed.

Quick Reply: Regular or Premium Gas for 993?