Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Steve and others - use Ventil Sauber and Jectron at same time for carbon buildup?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2001, 09:40 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 148 Posts
Post Steve and others - use Ventil Sauber and Jectron at same time for carbon buildup?

Steve Weiner mentions in an old thread that he uses Lubromoly Ventil Sauber and Jectron before each oil change (along with his trademarked 100 mile run to Mount Hood and back).

Here's my question -- does one use both products at once on one tank of gas before an oil change, or each product separately in two tanks of gas before the oil change?

Also, will using these products skew the results of a regular oil analysis program?

Thanks,

John
Old 12-10-2001, 11:18 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
John,

I also try to follow Steve's recommendation - it's 100 miles @ 100 mph, right?

I know this doesn't answer your question, but I do place a can of each sequentially (i.e. separately over two fill-ups) right before an oil change about every 5-6K miles. The two products purport to do slightly different things, and they look different if I recall - one is dark and one is light/clear.
Old 12-11-2001, 12:31 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally posted by John Huang - '98 C2S in VA:
<STRONG>Steve Weiner mentions in an old thread that he uses Lubromoly Ventil Sauber and Jectron before each oil change (along with his trademarked 100 mile run to Mount Hood and back).

Here's my question -- does one use both products at once on one tank of gas before an oil change, or each product separately in two tanks of gas before the oil change?

Also, will using these products skew the results of a regular oil analysis program?

Thanks,

John</STRONG>
Hi John:

I pour a can of both products into the fuel tank at the same time before fillup. This works the same way as sequentially and for me, its easier.

This should not have an impact on oil analysis as that tests for elemental metallics and other stuff. Byproducts of combustion should make no difference.

100 squared after treatment works for me,...
Old 12-11-2001, 11:02 AM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. I'm off to buy a couple bottles (maybe a case) of Ventil Sauber and Jectron at a local parts wholesaler during lunch.

100 x 100 it is!
Old 12-11-2001, 12:34 PM
tom_993
Burning Brakes

Steve,
Is there any harm in using these products more often, say every 2 or 3,000 miles? Or even more? I’m thinking of my old truck here, not my 993. These are pretty strong chemicals, and I’m worried that they could slowly eat away at seals, gas lines, fuel pumps, etc, if used too often. My truck seems to collect these deposits quite rapidly, at least that’s my guess, because using various injector cleaners makes a big difference. And of course the manufacturers don’t give any warnings about using them too often…

Thanks,
Tom
Old 12-11-2001, 01:25 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<STRONG>Thanks guys. I'm off to buy a couple bottles (maybe a case) of Ventil Sauber and Jectron at a local parts wholesaler during lunch.</STRONG>
John,

Can you get some for too. I am going to change the oil soon. Also, don't forget Currys has the BG Air and fuel system clean that worked for another rennlister a little while ago.

Thanx,

E. J.
Old 12-11-2001, 02:02 PM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

How soon should the oil be changed after using these products? Does Techron achieve the same results?

TIA,
Sam
Old 12-12-2001, 04:10 AM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally posted by tom_993:
<STRONG>Steve,
Is there any harm in using these products more often, say every 2 or 3,000 miles? Or even more? I’m thinking of my old truck here, not my 993. These are pretty strong chemicals, and I’m worried that they could slowly eat away at seals, gas lines, fuel pumps, etc, if used too often. My truck seems to collect these deposits quite rapidly, at least that’s my guess, because using various injector cleaners makes a big difference. And of course the manufacturers don’t give any warnings about using them too often…

Thanks,
Tom</STRONG>
Hi Tom:

These chemicals are quite benign and will not harm older seals, gaskets, O-rings and the like. I've used this stuff very regularly in my own '74 Carrera (carbed, twin-plug 2.7) and my '78 Wagoneer for over 12 years,.......
no worries.

For carbureted engines, all you need is the Ventil Sauber product or Techron. IMHO, the LubroMoly stuff is more concentrated and works quicker. Same overall results, though.

As I see the effects of the MTBE in our fuel,
I do use this stuff every 3000 miles in everything and change oil right after treatment. (Sam, this one's for you!)

Few auto manufacturers have been proactive about this carbon buildup problem, since in some cases, its good for business,...... AFAIK, only BMW, VAG, Mercedes and Porsche have addressed this detail with testing and specific recommendations. Years ago, VAG recommended walnut shell blasting,...

Modern chemistry makes this SOOO much easier and less expensive.

Hope this answers your questions.
Old 12-12-2001, 10:53 AM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Steve. Question -- Do you completely fill up the tank when adding the Lubro Moly stuff, or just do a half tank? Surely your 100 mile/100mph run up to Mt. Hood doesn't use up a whole tank of gas, right?

Old 12-12-2001, 11:14 AM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Wink

<STRONG>Surely your 100 mile/100mph run up to Mt. Hood doesn't use up a whole tank of gas, right?</STRONG>

It will if you do it in third gear.
Old 12-12-2001, 02:50 PM
tom_993
Burning Brakes

Thanks, Steve, you are a gentleman and a scholar.
Old 12-12-2001, 09:13 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally posted by tom_993:
<STRONG>Thanks, Steve, you are a gentleman and a scholar. </STRONG>
My pleasure, Tom,..not many of us left anymore, you know,.....

John: I fill the tank after adding a can of each product, get on US 26, and plant my size 15 on the floor,..(almost)
Old 12-13-2001, 08:34 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Originally posted by DJ:
<STRONG>It will if you do it in third gear.</STRONG>
LOL!

Quick Reply: Steve and others - use Ventil Sauber and Jectron at same time for carbon buildup?