993 Forum 1995-1998

A couple of cdr-220 questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 10:48 PM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 122 Posts
Default A couple of cdr-220 questions

I have read a lot in search and just want to confirm a few things. I have a CR-1 radio with a cd changer in my car now. I found a cdr-220 taken out of a boxster that I want to use mainly with an iPod. I don't plan on hooking back up the cd changer. My questions are 1) is this a simple take out the connections from the back of the cr-1 and plug them into the cdr-220? 2) is the face plate update just so you can see the display better? Is Becker the only one who can do this or are there others? 3) where is the best place to buy the connection for the iPod? Thanks guys
Old 02-20-2013, 10:56 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

1. Not sure about the CR-1, but the CDR-210 and CDR-220 use the same plugs
2. Yes, as I understand it, unless you have the mod, it is impossible to read the display

Becker does the mod, but there was also a RLer that was looking into a DIY. I am not sure where that ended up, nor did I look into it as I got a modified CDR-220 from Becker years ago.

3. Not sure if it is "the BEST" but Navone Engineering makes a nice cable, I have one of the earlier cables, and have never had any issues.

As far as the cable goes, Navone Engineering makes a good one. I have used mine for about 6 years now with no issues.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:03 PM
Roche993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Regarding the faceplate mod, just sent mine in to SWStereo for $58. Will report when I get it back how well it works. I purchased the iPod cable from Becker for around $30? Works perfectly.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:48 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kika
1. Not sure about the CR-1, but the CDR-210 and CDR-220 use the same plugs
2. Yes, as I understand it, unless you have the mod, it is impossible to read the display

Becker does the mod, but there was also a RLer that was looking into a DIY. I am not sure where that ended up, nor did I look into it as I got a modified CDR-220 from Becker years ago.

3. Not sure if it is "the BEST" but Navone Engineering makes a nice cable, I have one of the earlier cables, and have never had any issues.

As far as the cable goes, Navone Engineering makes a good one. I have used mine for about 6 years now with no issues.
That's an interesting mod Kika. How come I missed seeing this at the group DIY last week? You hiding things from me?

I have an Alpine in my car now but I really don't like the bling, bling of it. Want to go more to a retro clean. Been thinking about a Becker vs some of the newer Kenwood (Excelon series) as they have a nice look to them. I'm afraid that the car installers have butchered my wire harness and I might either need to replace it all or just splice some connectors to what I have to make it work. Perhaps Navone Engineering can help?
Old 02-20-2013, 11:58 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

The DIY, if I remember correctly, did not work that well.

It's basically plug and play assuming your wiring harness is intact, which it should be.

There are various sources for the iPhone/iPod adaptor, including Becker. I find their's expensive, there are other sources like http://www.discountcarstereo.com/iP-BKR2.html. I also had a bad experience with Becker a few months back, their service sucks, mishipping, poor email response - I think those guys live in the pre-internet days.

Marc, you can put the cable ends from this source as well, but I know of another Rennlister in Seattle who did that, but it ended up his harnesses are good, so he has the parts. Let me know.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 02-21-2013, 12:06 AM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey Mike. Sounds interesting. Just replied to your PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:42 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by mgianzero
That's an interesting mod Kika. How come I missed seeing this at the group DIY last week? You hiding things from me?

I have an Alpine in my car now but I really don't like the bling, bling of it. Want to go more to a retro clean. Been thinking about a Becker vs some of the newer Kenwood (Excelon series) as they have a nice look to them. I'm afraid that the car installers have butchered my wire harness and I might either need to replace it all or just splice some connectors to what I have to make it work. Perhaps Navone Engineering can help?
I had mine done by Becker, I just recall reading about someone looking at doing it themselves here, but I lost track of the thread.

You can't really compare head units from 10-15 years ago to now, but it really depends on what you are using the system for. Let's face it, most cars are not audiophile environments by any stretch.

There are three people that I would trust to install a system in my car, Jaime Rawlings, Rod Birch and myself. Not that I put myself anywhere near the talents of the other two, just that no one will be as careful with your car as you will be.

I don't recall if Navone sells wiring harnesses or not, you can check. If you are going with a Becker, I would get a harness with the connectors from them. If not, I wouldn't worry about it too much and just make sure all the connections are soldered and heat shrink wrapped.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:31 AM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Mgianzero, I just did the ipod adapter to my CR-210 with CDC-3 changer and it works perfectly. You would use the same adapter for the CR-1

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/iP-BKRCD.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...sb-inputs.html
Old 02-21-2013, 01:44 AM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think the CR-1 to CDR-220 is a plug and play swap.

FYI these are is the CR-1 connections.
Attached Images  
Old 02-21-2013, 02:42 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Yeah, you are right - for some reason I thought he was talking the CDR series, oops!

The best way is just pull the radio and check - sometimes people put in adaptors and other things.

Cheers

Mike
Old 02-21-2013, 03:51 AM
nels415
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Roche993
I purchased the iPod cable from Becker for around $30? Works perfectly.
Does the Becker ipod cable support Iphone 4s?

-nels
Old 02-21-2013, 07:57 AM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Roche993
Regarding the faceplate mod, just sent mine in to SWStereo for $58. Will report when I get it back how well it works. I purchased the iPod cable from Becker for around $30? Works perfectly.
Wow, this price went down! I remember paying around 100 a couple of years ago. As mentioned before, this mod is a must.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:16 AM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by e9stibi
Wow, this price went down! I remember paying around 100 a couple of years ago. As mentioned before, this mod is a must.
Agreed. I paid Becker a hundy or more also.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:41 AM
alcanada
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For my conversion from a CR-1 to CDR 220, I bought the following from Becker AutoSound NJ:

BAS-1296.851: LCD Modified CDR-220 controller- $100
BAS-1253.751: Power Cable DIN/ISO - $18.99
BAS-1184.989: Removal Keys - $4.99
BAS-1310: Universal auxiliary audio input cable - $19.99
BAS-999: Antenna Adapter - $4.99

I cannot remember if any of these parts included the IPod adapter. You may find cheaper prices elsewhere.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:59 PM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 122 Posts

thnaks for all the info guys. So this is what I have found out from talking to Becker and Discount Car Stereo. The wiring is different from the CR-1 to the CDR-220. As Alcanada said I would need some different connectors for the wiring and antenna, not to mention having the face plate updated and getting an Ipod connector. The guy at Discount Car Stereo told me about this and I bought it and will give it a try.

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/iS77.html

Quick Reply: A couple of cdr-220 questions