Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has my Transmission Been Rebuilt?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 10:49 AM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Has my Transmission Been Rebuilt?

I am not sure if this is normal... but this is the first Porsche transmission I have taken apart.
There is some white paint on the gear selection collar for 1st and 2nd gear. It also looks like the car might have a steel synchro on 2nd gear.

Here is 1st gear for color comparison. The bronze shows pretty brightly in the pictures.

The last thing that caught my eye was the etched writing on the input shaft. It says 293, HP, 3 and there is a squiggle that looks like a mistake.

So... what do ya'll think? Is it rebuilt or is this normal???
Old 02-17-2013, 11:55 AM
porschemikeandnancy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did you get the "innards" so clean?

Can you tell if the writing is in English or German? If the latter, probably the assembler in Stuttgart.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:49 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Peter,

Are you starting a new project already now? What is your plan with this gearbox? Are you rebuilding or just learning?

Just curious.

Marc G.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:18 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Marc,
Almost a year ago I lost gears 2,4 and 6 while at the track at Pomona. I limped the car home shifting straight from 1-3-5. The shifter would go into the gears but it required a LOT of effort, way too much to be normal.
I drained, flushed, ran, drained, flushed ran, the gear oil, and tried 3 different brands of oil. Nothing ever came out of the transmission that was out of the ordinary (like a needle bearing...). I disengaged all of the shifting mechanisms to confirm that it was not the linkage binding, something internal was screwed up.
I continued to drive the car purely out of necessity (wife and i shared 2 cars at the time) for a couple of months, then one day while driving home something freed up and all of a sudden I could row through all of the gears again.

As soon as I bought another car (the (07' Cayman) I parked the 993 and took out the transmission assuming something was loose and floating around inside the transmission. I didn't have the cojones to rip into the transmission until just recently since I heard so much talk about how difficult they were to rebuild... that and how expensive the dang parts are!!!

PorscheMikeandNancy,
I didn't do anything. The car was always driven regularly and I flush my fluids more often than necessary. Everything is almost too clean though... the synchros look almost too good... and there was NOTHING floating around inside the transmission that could have jammed up the shift rod!
Old 02-17-2013, 10:32 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Peter,

Interesting story. So it shifty poorly in gears 2-4-6 , with no change, for about 2 months? Interesting.

I've never did any real tranny work. But if you ever want to do any work on it, just let me know when and I'll be there. I'd love to learn how to do some repair (regear?) work on these G50 trannys as the cost is just outrageous.

It's nice to have an option to work on the 993 now that you have a Cayman. My 993 was a daily driver for about 3-4 years until I got my BMW. Definitely makes it easier to pamper and work on the 993!

It was a pleasure meeting you face-to-face on Saturday. It was very gracious for you to take the drive from SD to visit with us and oversee our project. Your tool, with our mods (bushings) should make it bullet proof! I'll be sending you the tool, hopefully, later this week as I have one more friend who wants to use it (we plan to do it on Tuesday). I'll also send you the bushings, extra pins and I'll buy a few more bits.

Marc G.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:39 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Oh, the exact writing on the input shaft is:
C/H
A squiqqle that kind of looks like a coat hanger a space and then the number 3.

The front housing number is 964.301.301.1R
The middle housing number is 950.301.102 and also says G5020 1, 003311 (just missed the cutoff to have the "good" input shaft so I could replace 2nd gear!
Old 02-17-2013, 10:40 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Marc,
It was great meeting you too! Thank's again for hosting the party! Take your time with the tool, if you know anyone else who needs to use it give them a holler
Old 02-17-2013, 11:37 PM
eddie_993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Peter, I would like to echo Marc's thoughts. If you ever want to do any work on it and show a beginner like myself how and what, I would try very hard to come down. Being that I'm in the northern part of LA it might be a bit more challenging but I'm motivated.

Nice meeting you on Saturday, btw.

Eddie
Old 02-19-2013, 08:56 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Marc and Eddie,

I am walking through this VERY slowly. It took me almost a year to get to this point.
I need to make some measurements, but if everything checks out okay I might just be replacing a few bearings and seals and buttoning everything up.
You are both welcome to come hang out when that time comes, it's interesting to see these things apart.

I will keep everyone here posted and let you know when I am getting closer to doing something interesting.
If either of you happen to be in the area I can show you what I have apart so far and you can play with my mill or welders

If anyone has any insights into whether or not my transmission may have been rebuilt or is somehow "different" than normal please let me know. The possible steel 2nd gear synchro still has me thrown.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:46 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Peter,

Okay. But I'm going to hold you to it. If it gets interesting, don't you DARE forget about me!

I'll bring the beer as I have an entire refrig full of it from last week. Everyone who came to the tie rod pinning party was extremely generous with bringing some very nice beer choices, and plenty of it. My wife is starting to question my intent to stay sober or not when I come home from work!
Old 02-20-2013, 07:48 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 560 Likes on 384 Posts

It's impossible to tell, but just remember this damage was no visible until the shafts were stripped
Old 02-21-2013, 03:50 PM
osugasman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great photos. I don't know squat about what the inside should look like. Are those gears all chewed up?

--Brian
Old 02-21-2013, 06:56 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Thanks Bill,
I was contemplating replacing the gaskets and just buttoning everything back up, but it appears I really need to strip the rest of this down to assure myself that nothing else is broken. Dang...

Do you have any thoughts on the 2nd gear synchro?
Old 02-21-2013, 07:51 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 560 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by chaoscreature
Thanks Bill,
I was contemplating replacing the gaskets and just buttoning everything back up, but it appears I really need to strip the rest of this down to assure myself that nothing else is broken. Dang...

Do you have any thoughts on the 2nd gear synchro?
I'm seeing all stock g50/20 parts
Old 02-21-2013, 09:06 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Hmm,
I will know better when I slip everything off of the shafts, but visually all of the synchro rings have a nice "brassy" color to them except the one for 2nd. If you look at the 1st and 2nd pictures in this post I am trying to show the difference in the coloration between the 1st and 2nd synchros.
Does this mean it was normal to have a steel synchro or does it mean I need to check my vision? Maybe the synchro got discolored because I was going so fast

Quick Reply: Has my Transmission Been Rebuilt?