Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 05:10 PM
duverne996
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vibrations. Flywheel problem?

Hi Guys,
I wondered if you could help me.
When reving my 993 C4S above 4500 rpm I feel some sort of vibrations on the throttle & clutch pedals and even on the steering wheel. The engine seems to rev fine and there´s no lack of power or anything strange appart from these vibes.

My feeling is that it might be the flywheel, but I've read over here that when a flywheel is in bad state the vibrations are felt at low rpms when both starting and stopping the ride; so this has confused me because on my case is only noticeable on high rpms. ¿?

Perhaps an old engine mount?

Any idea is much apreciated!
Old 02-14-2013, 05:41 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

A bit more data please - is the car in motion or you are stopped? Clutch pedal in or out? Vibrations vary with RPM? Vary with the car moving?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 02-14-2013, 06:13 PM
duverne996
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mike J
A bit more data please - is the car in motion or you are stopped? Clutch pedal in or out? Vibrations vary with RPM? Vary with the car moving?

Cheers,

Mike
HI Mike,
thanks for your quick reply.

I would actually have to try it tomorrow with the car stopped since I haven´t tried recently reving it when not in motion.

In any case, I wouldn't say that the vibrations vary on intensity, they pretty much feel the same from 4500rpm and above. They feel on the clutch as I go releasing it just after chaging a gear and at the same time on the gas pedal as I hit my foot down on it. But they can also be felt on steering wheel.
but no metal noises whatsoever.
Clutch feels healthy, hard + no need to press it to the end to change gears.

At low rpms, 2,3 up to 4000 nothing of the above is felt.

I had another 993 C4 with similar milage and no evidence of these vibes at all.

Thanx!
Old 02-14-2013, 06:22 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Given its a C4S, you can pickup vibrations in the steering if its in the driveline. If its an imbalance in the driveline/clutch etc. it should vary with RPM or Speed.

Some ideas
- drive at the same speed but try different gears to see if it changes - i.e is it speed dependant or RPM dependant -I think you sort of did that with your comment about 2,3 gear nothing untill 4000, which is RPM dependant
- if the engine remains at 4000+ rpm, what happens if the clutch is pushed in while you are rolling - does the vibration stop instantly?
- if you are rolling along at 5000 rpm and you push in the clutch and let the engine go to idle, does the vibration stop instantly?

You should play around and see if you can segment the vibration, is it engine side or transmission side? If its flywheel, the vibration may be lessened with the flywheel is not engaged in the driveline, but its should still be there.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 02-14-2013, 06:30 PM
duverne996
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mike J
Given its a C4S, you can pickup vibrations in the steering if its in the driveline. If its an imbalance in the driveline/clutch etc. it should vary with RPM or Speed.

Some ideas
- drive at the same speed but try different gears to see if it changes - i.e is it speed dependant or RPM dependant -I think you sort of did that with your comment about 2,3 gear nothing untill 4000, which is RPM dependant
- if the engine remains at 4000+ rpm, what happens if the clutch is pushed in while you are rolling - does the vibration stop instantly?
- if you are rolling along at 5000 rpm and you push in the clutch and let the engine go to idle, does the vibration stop instantly?

You should play around and see if you can segment the vibration, is it engine side or transmission side? If its flywheel, the vibration may be lessened with the flywheel is not engaged in the driveline, but its should still be there.

Cheers,

Mike
Will do as you sugest, segmenting the problem to trace its origin.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:58 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also see if it is specific to accelerating/starting off or at constant speed.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:25 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,503 Likes on 1,063 Posts

At times I feel there should be a twelve step program for Porsche owners. You know the line “accept the things I should not fix, have courage to fix the things I must and have the wisdom to know the difference” Be very cautious when considering repair or maintenance procedures suggested to you that involve removing the engine from the car;
Old 02-15-2013, 12:25 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Why?

And did we say "remove the engine from the car"? The OP asked a question, we are trying to get more data to see if we can help isolated the issue, then we will worry about the fix procedure. Its totally up to OP as to pursue a fix....

I always make the assumption that any advice I give out will be interpreted and not taken as gospel by the receiver - I will try to be as factual and accurate as my limited knowledge will allow, and then its up to the owner to interpret all the responses and take it from there.

But I do agree, I think there should be a 12 step program for the slippery slope, not fixing problems. That one is wickedly hard to resist.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 02-15-2013, 12:41 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The solution is only as good as the diagnosis.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:03 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you getting the proverbial coffee can rattle when you shut off the engine?
Old 02-15-2013, 11:59 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
At times I feel there should be a twelve step program for Porsche owners. You know the line “accept the things I should not fix, have courage to fix the things I must and have the wisdom to know the difference” Be very cautious when considering repair or maintenance procedures suggested to you that involve removing the engine from the car;
What post did I miss here?

Quick Reply: vibrations. Flywheel problem?