Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

95' PPI in... engine sealer questions???

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 10:18 PM
blacksparrow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 95' PPI in... engine sealer questions???

So I posted previously; https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-thoughts.html
but was hoping to get a few more thoughts on it, so started a new post based on these PPI results...

Late 1995 Carrera - Car just had heads off, new exhaust valve guides and SAI ports drilled out... Porsche dealer is calling it a re-seal due to excessive leaking, not a top end rebuild. 62k on car...

BUT they used later RTV sealant instead of spec locktite... will this be an issue? That said, this is dealer work which is covered for 2 years.

PPI mechanic says no leaks now at over 100 miles on engine, but pointed it out.

Also, I talked directly with mechanic about a leak down test and that is what I thought I was getting, but when I got the report back, he only did compression. He said since heads were just off, SAI ports cleaned out and engine resealed, if compression was good (it is 225psi), no reason for leak down... thoughts on that?

Unfortunately the car went back to dealer already and I have to make some decisions...

HERE IS PPI REPORT:

o Brakes Front and rear pads and rotors Ok- almost 100% pad wear remaining. Rotors not new but in good shape, 1mm lip. Brake hose ok. No fluid leaks

o Suspension All ok- control arm bushings and shocks in good shape. Tie rod ends no play, no tears in dust boots

o Engine No major oil leakages. Very minor weepage at this time from chain housing covers- likely chain housing and/or covers (magnesium) have some pitting which reduces the likely hood of good seal. Should be machined flat all surfaces for optimal sealing. Oil residue on bellhousing of tranny- likely remaining fluid from engine prior to removal. Note: Cam towers sealed with Loctite 574, engine case has been sealed with the later RTV type black sealant (P96/P97 type). No case leakages present but factory calls for Loctite 574 for engine case reseals. After sitting overnight, lifters are very noisy (leaks down). Don’t quite down and pump up until engine oil temp has come up to operating.

o Compression Engine compression numbers are very good- 225PSI ALL cylinders

o Transmission Operates through all gears OK- option list indicates limited slip differential- either LSD is not present or clutch packs are worn out- only one wheel spins when turned- LSD even with low % slip ratio should see both wheels turn in direction of travel in tandem*** If LSD is present, will need repack. Recommend Guards Transmission LSD- much better unit that OE

o Fueling -Fuel pump cover is moist with fuel. Removal of the cover shows no current hose actually wet, however it is likely the pressure line from the pump leaks at times- dry rotting, cracks are present** NEEDS new fuel line from pump, preferably feed hose replaced at that time also*

o Exhaust Good shape- no perforations or leaks

o Electronic control units No faults present in DME, climate control, Alarm or ABS

o Tires/Wheels Tires New. Wheels not out of round. Few minor scratches.

o Lighting All ok except for left front fog light INOP

o Paint and Body Paint work appears original- 4.5-5 mils thickness –OK. LOTS of wash swirls, multiple stone chips and some scratches on most body panels. Some have been touched up- none are through primer but most scratches are through paint surface. Needs thorough detail with compounding

o Accessories All Functional

o Windows/Glass OK, no cracked glass or significant pitting

o HVAC Blows cold

THANKS GUYS

Old 02-14-2013, 08:28 PM
linen grey ghost
Racer

Having purchased a MY95 C2 in the past nine months, at a distance and with far more flaws than the PPI disclosed and PPI 'undiscovered'; your report reads like a reasonable 17 year old car.

My experience so far, replaced tires (7 & 8 years old), replaced rear wheel (crack poorly welded), cracked taillight lenses, cracked front turn signal lenses, and more interior trim plastic parts than I can list here. Still to repair: dash top and rear parcel shelf top 'sun dried' cracks and a host of other maladies and shortcomings.

The vehicle you are contemplating seems to be in superior condition to my 71xxx miles example.

GLWP

Last edited by linen grey ghost; 02-14-2013 at 08:29 PM. Reason: hurried spelling
Old 02-14-2013, 08:38 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts

^ +1

Bought 96 c2 last month. The hunt is fun, the purchase, the reward.

Keep in mind it is 17 and no ppi is going to find everything or guarantee anything. You will have repairs no matter which one you buy. Part of the beast. One I looked at before I got mine the owner said to budget 2-3k ayear for maintenance on your car. Less if you are a DIY-er. Go into it with that mindset and you won't be disappointed with your purchase. The things the ppi miss, you can work on and bring her up to YOUR "sorted" level.

PS The first drive is gonna make you smile
Old 02-14-2013, 08:38 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Interesting question about the case sealer. There is a long thread on Pelican about sealers, you could post there and ask.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-e...nt-thread.html

I have never used the RTV type black sealant (P96/P97 type), but its not just leaks you should worry about - it's clearances. The case halves have to be tight up to each other, the beauty of the thin sealers like the locktite is they are very thin, and given the great machining on the case, rarely leak. Not sure about the P96 sealer.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 02-16-2013, 01:44 AM
blacksparrow
Instructor

Thumbs up THANKS

Guys thanks for the responses...

Originally Posted by linen grey ghost
Having purchased a MY95 C2 in the past nine months, at a distance and with far more flaws than the PPI disclosed and PPI 'undiscovered'; your report reads like a reasonable 17 year old car.

The vehicle you are contemplating seems to be in superior condition to my 71xxx miles example.

GLWP
Originally Posted by JB 911
^ +1

Bought 96 c2 last month. The hunt is fun, the purchase, the reward.

Keep in mind it is 17 and no ppi is going to find everything or guarantee anything. You will have repairs no matter which one you buy. Part of the beast. One I looked at before I got mine the owner said to budget 2-3k ayear for maintenance on your car. Less if you are a DIY-er. Go into it with that mindset and you won't be disappointed with your purchase. The things the ppi miss, you can work on and bring her up to YOUR "sorted" level.

PS The first drive is gonna make you smile
linen grey ghost and JB 911, thanks, for the observations and encouragement, I have been hunting for a more sorted example as I have fixed my fair share of stuff; which IS part of the fun, but I want to minimize it as much as possible if I can. That said i know there will always be things to do, (mods if nothing else)

Originally Posted by Mike J
Interesting question about the case sealer. There is a long thread on Pelican about sealers, you could post there and ask.

I have never used the RTV type black sealant (P96/P97 type), but its not just leaks you should worry about - it's clearances. The case halves have to be tight up to each other, the beauty of the thin sealers like the locktite is they are very thin, and given the great machining on the case, rarely leak. Not sure about the P96 sealer.

Cheers,

Mike
And Mike J,
Thanks for that, makes sense... had another member in the othert post say the same thing... if you look at the other thread I have going (link at top of this post), the dealer service tech replied that Porsche specked out the RTV and is warranting the work, so hopefully that is a non-issue if Porsche has called it out. Some others continued to question it, but if Porsche will warrant the work on a 17+ year old car, I am ok with it.

Thanks guys for chiming in... hope to wrap it up and post some pix of the new ride soon.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:04 AM
blacksparrow
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike J

And thanks for the link, very interesting and now has me pondering...
Old 02-16-2013, 06:23 AM
Rialas
Instructor

Originally Posted by blacksparrow
And thanks for the link, very interesting and now has me pondering...
Every builder has a slightly different method.
Most leak a little. Don't worry.

Last edited by Rialas; 02-17-2013 at 06:53 AM.

Quick Reply: 95' PPI in... engine sealer questions???