Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Hi Fi Sound Package what was included?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 04:41 PM
Coyote
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi Fi Sound Package what was included?

I need help identifying what was included in the Hi Fi Sound package. I think a PO may have "uninstalled" some stuff - for example, I don't see any speakers in the rear of my car at all. Is that correct? Both door panels seem to have the correct speakers with tweeters. Was there an amp installed somewhere?
Old 02-14-2013, 04:53 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Other's can chime in here but there should be a Nokia amp under the passenger seat plus 3 speakers in each door and two double speaker modules on the rear shelf. Also, there's mixer controls in the passneger armrest IIRC .. my car was missing the mixer stuff so I'm not positive if it should be driver or passenger side.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:55 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

^^^ Oh, just noticed yours is a cab ... so no rear shelf speakers, but there should be two speakers in the back, one on each rear side panel.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:01 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

And there might be a control panel with sound processor in the left door pocket (driver side)
Old 02-14-2013, 05:09 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

^^^ there you go. I was never sure what was missing from where on my cab ;-P
Old 02-14-2013, 05:12 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

As I understand it, the sound procesor was optional. My car did not have it.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:15 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

My car doesnt have the control panel in either pocket but it has all the speakers. Hopefully it was optional.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:17 PM
Coyote
Advanced

Thanks guys- Good to know that they aren't suppose to be on rear shelf on a cab because I know for sure they're not there! I'll double check the side panels, amp and control units tonight when I get home. All the speakers are shot and current head unit is a piece of junk so I'm going to replace we everything this spring.
There is a massive red wire with an in-line fuse coming off of the positive battery terminal that I assume powered an amp at some point. It doesent look "factory" to me though. I need to poke around some more as this is my first 993 and I'm not very familiar with the wiring setup yet.
Thanks
Again!
Old 02-14-2013, 05:19 PM
Coyote
Advanced

Originally Posted by brucec59
As I understand it, the sound procesor was optional. My car did not have it.
Good to know - thanks
Old 02-14-2013, 05:20 PM
Coyote
Advanced

Originally Posted by CarreraX
My car doesnt have the control panel in either pocket but it has all the speakers. Hopefully it was optional.
I have all the door speakers but I think I may be missing rear panel speakers. Strange.....
Old 02-14-2013, 05:31 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

As extra cost options the 993 production offered a "HiFi speaker w/amplifier " option (490) and a "Digital Control HiFi speaker w/amplifier" option. Each was offered with the standard radio/cassette or the optional AM/FM CD radio; an additional 6 CD changer (trunk mounted) was available.
For MY95 the stock stereo was an AM/FM cassette radio (CR-1 Alpine) with a two component front door speaker arrangement. The sizes are a 130mm (5.25") woofer with a door mounted pod housing 3/4" metallic tweeter; and either two rear shelf 4'x6" speakers for the coupe or two rear (side mounted) 4" coaxial speakers for the cabriolet.
All powered by the radio's amplifier section.

The HiFi option was modular in configuration to easily accomodate the two versions. IF ,,, the uber expensive "Digital Control" option was chosen, it simply builds on the HiFi speaker option with a drivers door located EQ control pad and a specific amplifier, also located under the passenger seat. The wiring is in place to accomodate either HiFi speaker option version. A customer could chose either the optional CD radio or keep the standard cassette radio as both units offered pre-outs to the HiFi speaker options amplifiers.

The HiFi speaker options door mounted speaker detail:
Positioned ahead of the armrest including under the armrest is a bass reflex speaker enclosure fitted with two speakers, a 80mm (3") full range speaker and a 130mm (5.25") woofer. Both speakers are wired with discrete home runs to the amplifier.,,Mounted high on each door is a 18mm (3/4") tweeter pod. FYI, the tweeter pod is uniform in all models.
The woofer works from 300hz - down with a 6db crossover slope with direct wiring from the Nokia amp. The full range speaker is also wired directly to the amp with the tweeter piggybacking the signal utilizing a capacitor at the tweeter for protection. - a common, simple automotive enviroment arrangement.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:51 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A massive red wire with in line fuse coming off the battery is not OE.

The first 993 here [1995] had the Alpine CR-1 radio with tape deck, a trunk mounted CD-ROM changer [6 cd's] was also available.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:53 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 188 Posts

Speaking of which... I have a Nokia amp from a Boxster, PN 986.645.301.03. Is that something that would fit in a 993?
Old 02-14-2013, 06:23 PM
Coyote
Advanced

So, is it conceivable that a car could have been ordered with the standard radio that would not include the rear side panel speakers and yet have the upgraded Hi Fi door speaker setup?
Old 02-14-2013, 06:31 PM
Coyote
Advanced

Originally Posted by x50type
A massive red wire with in line fuse coming off the battery is not OE.
So, any ideas why someone would have installed this bad boy? Seeing that my car has the Hi Fi option why wouldn't they have just tied into or replaced the existing amp under the passenger seat?
I'm beginning to wonder if someone may have installed an aftermarket subwoofer for the back seat at some point and then put it back to original?

Quick Reply: Hi Fi Sound Package what was included?