Sponsored by:

Suspension Upgrade - your advice, please

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 10:27 PM
Holytin
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Suspension Upgrade - your advice, please

After 17 years and 52K on the clock I'm thinking about redoing my suspension. Nothing fancy about my suspension - bare bone stock. I could simply install new shock absorbers or think about an upgrade, and that's why I'm posting this thread. There are several options available, e.g. Bilstein, H&R's or simply upgrade to MO30 but what is the best option for me? My car is not being tracked since it is a cab so no real need for a nice PSS9/10 upgrade. Bilstein is expensive, too and H&R's are less expensive but how do they perform in a direct comparison? More is not always better... I have a stock MO30 suspension on my 924S and I really like it so no problems with this upgrade also. Is this MO30 suspension still available from Porsche?

Regardless the type of suspension I assume I need new front struts, inserts, front & rear stabilizers and new rear shock absorbers. New or used? Anybody out there that's looking for an upgrade from MO30 to H&R's or Bilstein or ...?
Old 01-30-2013, 10:30 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Many have been happy with PSS10s/ I have the PSS10s and happy with them...others like the MO3O or HDs. PSS10s are more expensive than MO3O but adjustable and good quality.

Walrod bushings are also a "must" and cheap. Alignment important too.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:01 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 609 Likes on 385 Posts

For a Cab you might want to consider Koni FSD's with ROW M033 springs, many here have been happy with the comfort of this combo.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:12 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Holytin
front & rear stabilizers
Certainly the whole assemblies don't need to be replaced, ever. Especially given your use parameters.

As far as a shock/spring package, it would certainly be beneficial to sample cars equipped with the various makes/models. For me, I wouldn't sweat the extra the PSS10 kit costs. Not like you're dealing with a $2999 car here.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:34 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Factory Euro M030 shocks and springs are available form Porsche or other OEM parts supplier. I got my set a couple of years ago, it was under $1300 for everything.

Euro M030 uses progressive springs VS the US linear springs, so the euro stuff rides smoother then the US. Consensus is the OEM shocks are crap, but for me I needed stock parts, and was very happy with them.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:10 AM
Holytin
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks, guys. Buy upgrading to a sports suspension does that mean I will automatically lower the car? My drive way has not been designed for sports cars (welcome to Alabama - I should have bought a truck) and I really don't want to lower my car a lot since I will be scraping the bottom. Maybe I really have to stick to my OEM suspension...
Old 01-31-2013, 01:20 PM
BLT
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently read a lot of the past discussions here about shock/spring combos. The thread below convinced me I need to pull the Bilstein HDs off and put on Koni FSDs. The BHDs are just too rough for my location.

My springs are M033, and my pcar is pretty low. I wouldn't want it any lower at least.

Seems everything I've read here that springs set the ride height. So if you stay with your stock springs and install different shocks, they should not affect ride height.

Others here please correct me if this is wrong. I certainly have no expertise on this topic.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-write-up.html

cheers,
Old 01-31-2013, 02:38 PM
P-track
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can re-use your own springs and combine them with any shock you like. If you want to remain as close as possible to stock ride height and comfort just install new Monroe's with your old springs. If you want a more modern shock with good comfort I would choose the Koni FSD with your old springs. For a sportier ride choose Bilstein HD, either with your old springs or with lowering springs if you want a lower car.

Old springs + new shocks= same ride height regardless of the type of shock you choose.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:35 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by BLT
I recently read a lot of the past discussions here about shock/spring combos. The thread below convinced me I need to pull the Bilstein HDs off and put on Koni FSDs. The BHDs are just too rough for my location.

My springs are M033, and my pcar is pretty low. I wouldn't want it any lower at least.

Seems everything I've read here that springs set the ride height. So if you stay with your stock springs and install different shocks, they should not affect ride height.

Others here please correct me if this is wrong. I certainly have no expertise on this topic.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-write-up.html

cheers,
Agreed, Bilsteins have very hard rebound valuing. You can get them re-vavled and make them livable. The HD's have a treaded body, so you can adjust ride heigh on the shocks. OEM shocks have height adjustment on the fronts.

Sadly, the M033 springs are a little soft for HD's, so that isn't helping you out.

I believe the FSD's are not height adjustable at all, so the springs would set the ride height.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:25 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 149 Posts

I love my Bilstein HD/Mo33 combo....so much better than stock and I dont track my 993 at all. I dont find it harsh at all. Also, I did the walrod bushing at the same time.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:11 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

I really like my HD/RoW M030 combo with euro Turbo sways. I don't track, and the roads I drive are pretty good. I also have WEVO black MM. I don't find the ride harsh at all.

I drove 2 hours each way to San Diego yesterday and was very comfortable. I have also done 5 hours up to SF with my wife and no comfort/ride issues. I have to admit, my wife is more tolerant of sporty suspensions than a lot of women however.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:37 AM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I installed some PSS9s a while back. They are at the middle settings on the damper/rebound dial. I guess the PSS10s add the ability to adjust from inside the car like my old RX7 used to have. Night and Day versus the M030 setup I had before with worn dampers. The Bilsteins are really nice quality and a much better - sportier ride than stock. Not too harsh even on bad road surfaces, plus I could still soften up the ride further if I wanted. You can fully adjust ride height as well with the PSS10s which is nice.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:53 AM
bjornebo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Bilstein HD/M030 setup and am very happy with it. Not too harsh (although the roads are pretty good around here).
Old 02-01-2013, 03:25 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndof2
I installed some PSS9s a while back. They are at the middle settings on the damper/rebound dial. I guess the PSS10s add the ability to adjust from inside the car like my old RX7 used to have. Night and Day versus the M030 setup I had before with worn dampers. The Bilsteins are really nice quality and a much better - sportier ride than stock. Not too harsh even on bad road surfaces, plus I could still soften up the ride further if I wanted. You can fully adjust ride height as well with the PSS10s which is nice.
No adjustment from inside the car, sorry. Its the same sort of system, they improved the ***** but basically its the same way - you can get to them by lying down beside the car if you know which direction to turn.

Chers,

Mike
Old 02-01-2013, 11:07 AM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have HDs and M030s and it is a bit harsh for a dd. Have been contemplating the M033s. The Konis do not have height adjustability. PSS9/10 are adjustable shocks, but unless you really like to fiddle - and know what you are doing - not worth the extra money imho.

Quick Reply: Suspension Upgrade - your advice, please