Sponsored by:

Suspension Upgrade - your advice, please

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 01:08 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by vincer77
I have HDs and M030s and it is a bit harsh for a dd. Have been contemplating the M033s. The Konis do not have height adjustability. PSS9/10 are adjustable shocks, but unless you really like to fiddle - and know what you are doing - not worth the extra money imho.
BUT, the adjustability is a nice option to have, IF the ride is to harsh.
There are other option as well, such as going to smaller wheels that can recover some ride comfort.

I know it is a larger expense up front to purchase adjustability, but if one is really concerned that the ride may be too harsh, or not stiff enough, flexibility sure is nice. In the long run, I think that investment is returned, assuming the car is sold at a later time.

It isa bit more of a hassle, but Bilstein WILL re-valve their shocks, so even though I have the HDs, if I really wanted to, I could have them adjusted.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:13 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

For more adjustability, how about the KW Variant 3 Coil Over's? The adjustability is better with compression and rebound setttings available, and they are only a few hundred more than the PSS-10's.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:39 PM
BLT
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

For more adjustability, how about the KW Variant 3 Coil Over's? The adjustability is better with compression and rebound setttings available, and they are only a few hundred more than the PSS-10's.
So Mike - since I know you've had a Targa so pretty much the same car as mine, and you probably know how crappy our roads are down here, do you think going to Koni FSDs from my Bilstein HDs are going to give me enough change in ride quality (with my current M033 springs)? Or should I look at the KW Variant's you mention? I'm not too concerned with "super handling" as really my car is not a DD and I'm not going to track it.

thx
Old 02-01-2013, 01:53 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I have never ridden in a car with the FSD's, so it's hard to comment. I did have PSS-9's on the Targa for a number of years (got them new on ebay for $1400!), but I also had RS sways front and back, which I think was a bigger contributor to a firm ride than the shocks. I would usually run them close to full-soft.

As for the KV Variant 3's, I asked the question to the crowd that was considering PSS-10's, since the KW's are close in price and offer twice the adjustability, it would be interesting to see what people think.

I think our roads are Ok in the northwest, it's worse on the eastern seaboard. I found the ride a bit harsh in the Targa, likely because of the sways. I have driven cars with the PSS-10 variants and stock bars, nice ride, but also driven HD's with M033's, and that was a bit softer but also good.

This stuff is very personal since its all around feel and preference. I like my rides firm, my wife complains about it. For the turbo, I currently have stock suspension with lowering springs, and will be changing that out next winter. I am of two camps, one is to go cheap and just use the Koni's or HD's, or go fo the gusto and do PSS0-10s or KW's. That is an important decision since one is twice the cost of the other. Once you select a direction, then you can decide which one in the family.

It sounds like PSS-10's are not your choice. I am not sure what you are looking for, sounds like a softer ride, but I doubt if there will be much difference between the FSD's and HD's. What you should do is poll the list for people close by (should be lots) and take a few cars for a short spin to see how they feel.

cheers,

mike
Old 02-04-2013, 11:42 AM
BLT
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike J
I have never ridden in a car with the FSD's, so it's hard to comment. I did have PSS-9's on the Targa for a number of years (got them new on ebay for $1400!), but I also had RS sways front and back, which I think was a bigger contributor to a firm ride than the shocks. I would usually run them close to full-soft.

As for the KV Variant 3's, I asked the question to the crowd that was considering PSS-10's, since the KW's are close in price and offer twice the adjustability, it would be interesting to see what people think.

I think our roads are Ok in the northwest, it's worse on the eastern seaboard. I found the ride a bit harsh in the Targa, likely because of the sways. I have driven cars with the PSS-10 variants and stock bars, nice ride, but also driven HD's with M033's, and that was a bit softer but also good.

This stuff is very personal since its all around feel and preference. I like my rides firm, my wife complains about it. For the turbo, I currently have stock suspension with lowering springs, and will be changing that out next winter. I am of two camps, one is to go cheap and just use the Koni's or HD's, or go fo the gusto and do PSS0-10s or KW's. That is an important decision since one is twice the cost of the other. Once you select a direction, then you can decide which one in the family.

It sounds like PSS-10's are not your choice. I am not sure what you are looking for, sounds like a softer ride, but I doubt if there will be much difference between the FSD's and HD's. What you should do is poll the list for people close by (should be lots) and take a few cars for a short spin to see how they feel.

cheers,

mike
Thanks very much Mike. Yes, I'm looking for a softer ride. I can literally see the car flexing (windshield vs. body) over crappy roads. Some of our roads are very bad here in Bham and I live right in the older part of town where it's worst. I think they leave them that way to slow people down. We literally still have cobblestones and brick in Fairhaven. Maybe I'll just see how it goes once I get some time and good weather to do more drives out in the county. The car is not my DD so I can avoid the bad roads for the most part.

Interesting about the sways affecting ride harshness. I didn't consider that. I know the PO out a strut tower brace on but I'm not sure about sways though I saw a red bar underneath the rear in one photo he sent that looks to me like one. See pic.

cheers,
Attached Images  
Old 02-04-2013, 11:59 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Those are totally non-stock- thicker and stock ones connect to the shock under the arm, not over like these ones. This will definitely firm up the feel of the car.

I think I have a set of stock bars in the shop, you can some up and we can swap them out and see what happens. I am in Burnaby, so its not too far of a drive for you. The backs are really easy, fronts involve swearing. If you are interested, send me a PM and we can discuss - I would need to double check the bars are still on the shelf.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 02-04-2013, 12:51 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 382 Posts

Those are totally non-stock- thicker and stock ones connect to the shock under the arm, not over like these ones. This will definitely firm up the feel of the car.

I think I have a set of stock bars in the shop, you can some up and we can swap them out and see what happens. I am in Burnaby, so its not too far of a drive for you. The backs are really easy, fronts involve swearing. If you are interested, send me a PM and we can discuss - I would need to double check the bars are still on the shelf.

Cheers,

Mike
The shocks look to be Bistein HD, for a better ride I'd just have them revalved w/ digressive valves matched to the springs.

W/o being able to see the ends of the sway bar it's hard to guess which one it is, if you measure it's easier to determine, it certainly appears to be one of the oe bars painted red
here are the specs, f/r in mm
- Carrera: 20/17
- Carrera M030: 22/20
- Carrera S/4S: 20/17
- Carrera S/4S M030: 22/18
- Turbo: 22/19

The stock location for all the above is above the rear A-arm, which is where that one is though w/ what appear to be Tarret drop links.

The only bar mounted below the A-arms is the rear RS bar which is 20mm and has 3 adjustment holes at each end.

I suppose that some w/ very low cars might conceivably mount their other sways below but I've never seen that done
Old 02-04-2013, 12:57 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
The stock location for all the above is above the rear A-arm, which is where that one is though w/ what appear to be Tarret drop links.
Yeah, Monday morning brain fart, got that backwards....
Old 02-04-2013, 01:37 PM
BLT
Instructor

Thanks so much Mike! Love Burnaby. I have quite a few aunts and uncles and cousins there and around Vancity, Cloverdale, Surrey, etc.

The backs do look easy and fronts look nasty to deal with. It would be good to have someone experienced like you just drive my car to see if I'm oversensitive or not. I always have felt my Audi was a bit harsh (Bilstein HD and H&R race springs) but the pcar feels like a whole different level.

cheers

Cheers,

Mike
Old 02-04-2013, 01:45 PM
BLT
Instructor

Dead right, Bill. PO installed Tarret adjustable rear drop links when he had HDs and M033 springs installed.

So to revalve the HDs I'm assuming I pull them out and send them to someplace that does this?

I don't have a lift or similar way to get the car up. Have to rely for now on dealer who has a very reputable pcar guy. So could get complicated if the car has to be off the ground for some time but anything is doable of course.

Thanks much -- this is all very educational.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:46 PM
cmat
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another big variable in ride quality is the wheel size/tire/pressure choice. For my street driven car, I wound up with HD's and MO33 springs with the already present MO30 sway bars but with the Porsche recommended pressures in my 18" tires (36F/44R), the ride was still harsh on anything but the best roads.

I lowered pressures to 32F/36R and this made things very acceptable. I would describe the ride as firm but compliant. The consensus here seems to be that the Porsche recommended cold pressures for 18" tires is high.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:04 PM
BLT
Instructor

Hey Chuck thanks for this advice. I have 996 lightweight 18s and have always had them at 36/44 so I will have to try 32/36! I always thought getting up into 40s seemed awfully high but I've never had 18s before. My DD has 16s!
Old 02-04-2013, 07:07 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by BLT
Thanks so much Mike! Love Burnaby. I have quite a few aunts and uncles and cousins there and around Vancity, Cloverdale, Surrey, etc.

The backs do look easy and fronts look nasty to deal with. It would be good to have someone experienced like you just drive my car to see if I'm oversensitive or not. I always have felt my Audi was a bit harsh (Bilstein HD and H&R race springs) but the pcar feels like a whole different level.

cheers
The car will need to be realigned at a minimum, might as well have a shop do it. Most folks and shops will send the shocks to Bilstein San Diego turn around is a week or two unless you buy expedited service.

Quick Reply: Suspension Upgrade - your advice, please