Sponsored by:

Question: Turbo S Ducts with Lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 07:42 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 550 Likes on 347 Posts
Default Question: Turbo S Ducts with Lights

Am working toward refinish/installation of Turbo S ducts w/ 55W H3 lights and have a question.

As you can see in the photos, the lens retention ring has a "bar" that crosses in front of the H3 bulb, presumably to diffuse the light from the bulb for use as fog lights (Is this a correct assumption?).

I plan to use these lights primarily as DRLs and would like to project as much light as possible so as to catch the attention of other drivers before they drive into me while texting and dicking with their GPSs.

My logic tells me that removing the "bar" would increase the amount of direct light projected through the lens. Is this logical?

NOTE: Fog generally isn't an issue for me, so losing the fog function isn't a big deal.

TIA,
Terry
Attached Images   
Old 01-27-2013, 08:10 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

If you remove the bars you need to use 21W or lower bulbs. 35W bulbs would be too bright for oncoming traffic.

I have HIDs in my fog lights and use them as DRL. The bars are on and the cutoff is quite spectacular.

Last edited by ilko; 01-27-2013 at 08:45 PM. Reason: 21W not 27W.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:55 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are those lenses from the Hella fog? Also, are you using the DDM HID kit for the balasts?
Old 01-27-2013, 09:10 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

The bar is a light cutoff to keep the beam from blinding oncoming traffic.

The lights are GARBAGE, no really, they are crap. Pull them off and get the Hella's, way, way better and only $100 for the pair and an hour or 2 to get them installed.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:20 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

I disagree on the lights being garbage. They work really well. I have a set of DDM 35W 300K HIDs in them for the last 2.5 years, using them as DRL and they have not let me down.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:35 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ilko
I disagree on the lights being garbage. They work really well. I have a set of DDM 35W 300K HIDs in them for the last 2.5 years, using them as DRL and they have not let me down.

How did you mount the bulb(?), they are not replaceable. Mine took on water the first time driving in the rain, and the reflector is non-extistant. Did you put in new lights or just modify them for HID? My stock ones lasted about a week before one blew.

Actually just ordered the Hella's and a cheap HID kit, it's on my Winter to-do list.

Looks good BTW!
Old 01-28-2013, 09:01 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

You know, now that I read your comments, I think my Turbo S ducts are different, PO put them on back in the day. The lenses don't come apart, they are sealed. And the bulbs are replaceable - a 3-pronged twist and pull type. The bulb size is a Japanese style, I think it's a 9012 or something like that, I have to look at my receipts. The HID kit I got was from VVME, not DDM.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:25 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Ilko, those sound like what I have. Mine are MA Shaw.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:49 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Just checked my receipt from VVME, the bulbs I have are 894:

Old 01-28-2013, 03:52 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I just wanted to take an opportunity to clarify a few points here. Like some RL'ers mentioned here there are SEVERAL different type of turbo S duct remakes out there. Most are the cheaper ones that I think Stealth993 has. There are also the "MA SHAW" branded ones which are made of much higher quality. There are quite a few sites out there that claim their ducts (or buyers are convinced) that they are MA SHAW, but there are not.

Ask me how I know. Well, last year I wanted to upgrade my lights (standard 55W halogen bulbs) to something more durable and well made that should ONLY go on a Porsche. I couldn't see how a Hella bulb assembly would fit on my ducts, and the bulb assembly leaked moisture. So I went out to find this guy, Mike Shaw (the one and only MA SHAW owner and operator). He a really nice older gentleman working along with Getty Designs in Santa Ana, CA. Just down the street from me. So I brought him my ducts and told him I wanted to upgrade his MA SHAW lights to something more reliable. He looked at them and immediately knew they were not his. He said this happens to him ALL THE TIME. Even with all of the carbon fiber body parts he manufactures and sells. He says he had lost quite a bit of the business to impostors. Even MY turbo ducts were advertised as MA SHAW.

So I bought a set of the official MA SHAW turbo ducts with the Hella lamp assembly already in place. Here they are side-by-side (first pic.) My next project is to upgrade them to HID's (second pic from DDM tuning) which is plug and play just as long as you figure out where to put your ballast.

Don't get confused by the knock-offs. Not only is the quality shoddy, but they are literally taking the business away from really honest and hardworking people like Mike Shaw. Mike is really the nicest, generous guy you'll ever meet.

Hope all this information helps.

Marc G.
Attached Images   
Old 01-28-2013, 04:04 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Yep, mine are the same as the one on the left. You can fit the ballasts above the rebar inside the front bumper and zip tie them. That's what I did.

And yes, Mike Shaw is a great guy and very chatty on the phone
Old 01-28-2013, 04:52 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts

What do you do with the 'extra' harness plug for the unused set of lights? I don't want to remove it in case I go back to stock.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:14 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

zip tie it to something in there.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:52 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mgianzero
I just wanted to take an opportunity to clarify a few points here. Like some RL'ers mentioned here there are SEVERAL different type of turbo S duct remakes out there. Most are the cheaper ones that I think Stealth993 has. There are also the "MA SHAW" branded ones which are made of much higher quality. There are quite a few sites out there that claim their ducts (or buyers are convinced) that they are MA SHAW, but there are not.

Ask me how I know. Well, last year I wanted to upgrade my lights (standard 55W halogen bulbs) to something more durable and well made that should ONLY go on a Porsche. I couldn't see how a Hella bulb assembly would fit on my ducts, and the bulb assembly leaked moisture. So I went out to find this guy, Mike Shaw (the one and only MA SHAW owner and operator). He a really nice older gentleman working along with Getty Designs in Santa Ana, CA. Just down the street from me. So I brought him my ducts and told him I wanted to upgrade his MA SHAW lights to something more reliable. He looked at them and immediately knew they were not his. He said this happens to him ALL THE TIME. Even with all of the carbon fiber body parts he manufactures and sells. He says he had lost quite a bit of the business to impostors. Even MY turbo ducts were advertised as MA SHAW.

So I bought a set of the official MA SHAW turbo ducts with the Hella lamp assembly already in place. Here they are side-by-side (first pic.) My next project is to upgrade them to HID's (second pic from DDM tuning) which is plug and play just as long as you figure out where to put your ballast.

Don't get confused by the knock-offs. Not only is the quality shoddy, but they are literally taking the business away from really honest and hardworking people like Mike Shaw. Mike is really the nicest, generous guy you'll ever meet.

Hope all this information helps.

Marc G.
My duct looks like the one on the left, but has the fog light of the one on the right.

No worries, it's all about to be fixed! Got the DE's and HID kit on order.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:28 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

I need to get up to speed on this for next years mods ... the procedure below is to add upgraded lights to third party ducts (I think they were Marks, not sure). Anyways, since I did this years ago, HID technologies have come a long way, so I am sure there are better lights, but I did like the pattern on these lights, and they were really well built.

As documented in pcarworkshop:

http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.ph...lla_Fog_Lights

Light Assembly

After some work (see article).

Final pattern

Quick Reply: Question: Turbo S Ducts with Lights