993 Forum 1995-1998

need help - bolt stripped

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 10:39 PM
Tom 328
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help - bolt stripped

I was so excited to install the newly arrived T-lock keyless entry in my car today, so I started to remove the six hex bolts holding the passenger seat to get to the necessary wiring. The first five came out with no problem. The sixth gave enough resistance that the hex started to strip. I fitted as wide a flat-head screwdriver in and beat it in place with a hammer to see if that would grip better. When I turned it, it too stripped the bolt more. This bolt is reasonably accessible, but the seat is about three inches above it, impeding access with certain tools (see photo). I'm just honing my mechanical skills and don't have tons of specialty tools. Any thoughts on how I can get it out??
Attached Images  
Old 01-26-2013, 10:42 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

No matter what, it's going to be a PITA. You might be able to use a slightly bigger hex and get it out. Or use a cutting tool and cut a slot in it then use a flat bladed screw driver, or cut/grind the head of the bolt off.

Sears also makes extractors for this kind of thing with a reverse type drill bit.

Good luck!
Old 01-26-2013, 10:50 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put the other bolts back in to take the load off it,Then hammer/chisel it loose.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:01 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

+1 on the hammer/chisel method. Get the best angle you can with the chisel on the head of the bolt that will make it turn CCW, and give it a stout whack. Repeat. It will eventually start to turn.

These bolts are notoriously soft. You may want to get all new replacements.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:54 PM
3healey
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyT
These bolts are notoriously soft. You may want to get all new replacements.
I NEVER re-use these bolts. Same with the 5mm hex bolts on the fan pulley. Someone once said these things are made of some kind of cheese. That sounds about right to me.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:04 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

I said it because they are made of cheese. I've had to drill out a few of them over the years. Get a drill and a large bit and get to work. The good news is that since they are so soft you can drill them out pretty quickly.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:18 AM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hammer a slightly larger Torx bit into the head... It's worked for me every time.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:33 AM
MartinC2S
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The Torx method has worked for me as well.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:48 AM
Tom 328
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. I'll try the torx, then the chisel/hammer, then the drilling out if needed. If I have to resort to drilling out, what exactly does that mean? How do you drill out the whole bolt without damaging the threads in the floor?
Old 01-27-2013, 02:25 AM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 94 Posts

They really mean drill or chisel to remove the head get the seat out and then remove the remaining post..
If you can get it to turn with a chisel which should be pretty easy it will eventually be easy enough to turn the remaining distance by hand ..
A few of these repair on the fly or go arounds under your belt and you'll have some experience under
your belt and have a little more confidence...
Old 01-27-2013, 07:56 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

I have had the same issue. I used a Dremel to cut a slot and then just used the biggest slot screw driver I my toolbox to turn it. There was a guy on eBay selling hardened bolts in a black finish that work as a replacement.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:27 AM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom 328
If I have to resort to drilling out, what exactly does that mean? How do you drill out the whole bolt without damaging the threads in the floor?
Use a drill with a diameter a bit larger than the hex opening. Drill only as far down as the shoulder of the head of the bolt (ie just down to the level of the seat rail). The head will come right off then. Take the seat and rails out over the remaining stud. Then with the extra access you can take the stud out with Vise Grips or external bolt extractors.

http://www.irwin.com/tools/browse/sc...olt-extractors
Old 01-27-2013, 09:38 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

I doubt these bolts are a low grade fastener if they are holding seats in place.

Even if they are a 8.8 grade, the heads don't strip if the bit is fully inserted squarely and of a good fit.

Same for the valve cover or pulley fasteners; they are no softer than any other fastener of the same grade.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:08 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

I agree Alex, its the access and technique that makes it fail, and I find that its worth spending the extra money on good quality allen bits here makes a huge difference. In certain situations (like valve covers, upper bolts that are hard to get to, seat bolts) I know to use my "good" tool (Stahlwile, etc.), which have a better bite and stripping become minimized. Also, hitting it square is important, I have a few that i have ground or otherwise modified for specific access. You also need to make sure the head is clean, if debris has fallen into it (especially on the engine) it makes a bit difference just cleaning it up first.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-27-2013, 01:19 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
I agree Alex, its the access and technique that makes it fail. You also need to make sure the head is clean, if debris has fallen into it (especially on the engine) it makes a bit difference just cleaning it up first.

Cheers,
Mike
Exactly.

As much as I'd like to rush and use the tool I sometimes have, if it doesn't fit right (due to accessibility), I'll walk away, buy or order the tool I need and do the job right. At this point, my tool collection is right up there.

Got an extension on the bit, keep it square and use both hands...type of thing helps avoid hours of grief. I also use a drift that fits within the socket head and give the fastener a straight on (when possible) blow with a hammer.

As for those valve cover fasteners, how tight can they be when 84 in.lbf. is what they were initially tightened to.

Anyway, I haven't checked but do those seat bolts have shallow heads. If so, even more reason to be careful.

Last edited by IXLR8; 01-27-2013 at 06:10 PM.

Quick Reply: need help - bolt stripped