Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new daily: 335xi M-Sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 08:31 PM
tropheus
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 31 Posts

I had this car recently as a rental car in Germany and was ok with it as it performed and felt like a car in this price range. But why did they f..ed up so much the dashboard with this display sticking out of the middle of the dash!!!!????? I liked the older solution with the second hump next to the instruments so much better.
At the moment this dashboard is a killer for me buying a 3series.

Jack
Old 01-16-2013, 10:55 PM
Boosted330
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

wow lots of responses, it's cool seeing the dialogue!

I am a bit of a purist myself and previously had a 2001 Active Autowerke SC'ed 330ci

they have ballooned in size but i save my 993 for my purist side and my daily for whatever's nice/current. there are some pretty sharp contrasts technologically between this and my e46.

Originally Posted by asofine
Harmon pardon, eh? In seriousness, it looks beautiful. I don't understand all of the things that BMW has going on with the 335i. Actually, they kind of lost me when they first departed from their typical nomenclature (1st digit = body type; 2nd two digits = engine displacement) with the first 335i. I know that yours is a 3.0L straight 6, but don't they now make one 335i that puts out something like 300hp and another with something like 330hp (maybe a 335is?)? I never know...

In any event, I LOVE the color and yours is the first example I've ever liked with the blacked out kidney grills. Tell us more about this sport transmission...Only other thing I feel the need to point out is just how BIG that thing looks next to the 993. You wouldn't even know that this car is a derivative of the E21 or E30. They've also got the 4 series coming...do you know if they plan to make the 4 series along with a 3 series coupe, or will the 4 series effectively replace the 3 coupe?

I keep talking...nice car!
hahah spell check kept changing pardon from kardon

for the previous gen e92's they had the 335is, i don't know details because i wasn't a fan of that body. the 3 series coupe has been replaced by the 4 series, while the sedan is still a 3.

edit:: this car drives like a bmw even though it's got turbos/automatic/awd… my previous one was rwd/manual and NA then supercharged
Old 01-16-2013, 11:20 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Boosted330
they have ballooned in size but i save my 993 for my purist side and my daily for whatever's nice/current.
Exactly. It's not like your post was "I traded my 993 for a brand new Beamer"

Take the good and leave the rest......

I love Beamers and would like an xdrive for winters myself. Great car. Enjoy.

It's not an accident that the BMW 3 series has been on the top of the heap forever.....regardless of the experts here.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:10 AM
Mizuno
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, I love(d) BMW. my 993 shares dd duties with my 1997 328i that is now hitting 210k miles. I love that car, driving until I have to bury it... Which may unfortunately not be too far off.

However I recently tried the new and last gen 3 and 5 series, and wow was that a disappointment. No feel, slow to respond... Not only was there no comparison with my 993, but even my old 328i was in my mind day and night better in terms if driving experience. BMW is really starting to lose it. Luckily I feel that Audi is trying to step in, but not there yet. I'm worried that the late nineties experience of quality and driving experience may be gone forever. Soon we will all be in self-driving "sofa" cars... I hope BMW gets back on the right track though.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:49 AM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice F30 335 Msport!!! Congrats on the purchase!

Awesome to see so many BMWs in the 993 community!! We just bought an
E91 Xdrive Touring in November and absolutely love it! It's my wife's daily and
my Porsche Support Vehicle/Snowboard rig. I love BMW's rear wheel drive
biased xdrive system. It's amazing! Perhaps the people who have negative
things to say about it, haven't spent enough time behind the wheel!! The car is
a BEAST in the snow!

Old 01-17-2013, 01:54 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

For what's it's worth I'm looking at an A8 as my possible daily driver.

PS. Bimmers. "Bimmers". Honestly. Beemers/Beamers are motorcycles. At least traditionally.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:41 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
For what's it's worth I'm looking at an A8 as my possible daily driver.
Their 4.2 motor is solid with the exception of chain guide that affects some cars. That can be an expensive problem. Looking at A6s to replace my 325XI and really digging the supercharged V6. If BMWs would put together a reliable auto tranny....

I am DD my 325XI bought new. 127K miles on it and just went through it updating parts including brakes, suspension, front control arm bushings, rear bushings plus new flywheel and clutch. I even updated the sticky 5th gear pin in the ZF tranny.

Its such a solid car that I am having a tough time parting with it. Great engine..
Old 01-17-2013, 10:51 AM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Timely post. Close to pulling the trigger...I have been looking at the 335i xdrive along with the S4 and C300 Sport 4MAtic, all 2013. Stilll need to finish test drives but 335i xdrive looks to be the best for me. FWIW if anyone is looking at a BMW I think I am coming in about $800 under invoice. Like the S4 but it will come in much higher equipped similarly.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:05 AM
veblenesque
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 5 Posts

Congratulations on the new car purchase. If I could buy a 335 wagon, it would be in my driveway right now. As my signature notes, I'm driving a 5-series that is getting long in the tooth. I actually prefer the older BMW climate and sound controls (I'm a luddite when it comes to this), and I love the driving dynamics of the E39. Perhaps a 3 liter turbo swap?
Old 01-17-2013, 11:25 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by veblenesque
Congratulations on the new car purchase. If I could buy a 335 wagon, it would be in my driveway right now. As my signature notes, I'm driving a 5-series that is getting long in the tooth. I actually prefer the older BMW climate and sound controls (I'm a luddite when it comes to this), and I love the driving dynamics of the E39. Perhaps a 3 liter turbo swap?
Wife is on her 3rd new BMW since 2007, I HATE the frickin' iDrive! Of course it doesn't help that I only drive the car 1 or 2 times a month and have the memory of a gnat but it frustrates me no end. She loves the car but admits she doesn't know how to use the functions either.

To the OP, love the color combo, that's the combo I wanted my wife to get but she insisted on adding another red car to the stable. Congrats and enjoy.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:36 AM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Pretty car, is it the new twin-scroll turbo ?

I rode in a friend's tuned 335i MSport. Software, no cats, downpipe, ~ 500hp, beastly acceleration.... amazing. His (don't know the year) was the twin-turbo version. I understand the newer ones have gone to twin-scroll turbos.

What I didn't know is that MSport is not just appearance, but suspension, essentially M3 without the M3 engine and overdone boy-racer appearance. MSport is more of a sleeper if you tune it.

Unlike S Line which is just 'look at me' appearance tweaks.

I would have a BMW as my daily driver, there are so few sporting (I'd have to have a stick and clutch of course) rear drive cars any more that come with manuals.

I think Audis are overweight, overpriced, underpowered 'look at me' VWs....

BMW and Porsche (and Mercedes for their engines even though they rarely put a manual tranny any more) are the only pure European sporting marques left.

I had been considering a Macan to replace the Cooper some day, until I read that it's going to have an Audi engine. F*CK that, if I could afford a newer Porsche product, it must have a Porsche-designed and built engine.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:40 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by il pirata
Timely post. Close to pulling the trigger...I have been looking at the 335i xdrive along with the S4 and C300 Sport 4MAtic, all 2013. Stilll need to finish test drives but 335i xdrive looks to be the best for me. FWIW if anyone is looking at a BMW I think I am coming in about $800 under invoice. Like the S4 but it will come in much higher equipped similarly.
Why not consider European delivery than? Both cheaper and much more fun if you have an extra week or two.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:32 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
Why not consider European delivery than? Both cheaper and much more fun if you have an extra week or two.
Right now I can get the car about $800 under invoice. I understand the normal Euro delivery deal is about 7% off MSRP which would come in higher than I would pay. Then add airfare, hotel, etc. If I was looking at waiting until a summer delivery I might consider it. I do agree if you do not want to spend time looking for the best deal Euro delivery is an easy way to get a great price and a great excuse to go to Europe.

Last edited by il pirata; 01-17-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:40 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bob, I think you can look at BMWCCA rebates and all other rebates available. Also, any offers here in US tend to apply to European delivery. So if you are getting a really good deal here you should be able to get a better deal for Euro-delivery. They do negotiate, same as with regular US delivery. Dealer gets paid either way as they "prep" the car after it comes to US and it fully counts as their sale.

Chuck did Euro-delivery of his F10 recently. Good friends of mine got their 135 (street/autocross car) last spring. If I was ever buying a new car (I don't), that's what I'd do. Heck, I got my first 993 in California and did a two week 4,600 mile drive across the country. It was a very good experience both as a vacation and as bonding with the newly acquired car. So I highly recommend it.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:28 PM
Boosted330
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boman993
Nice F30 335 Msport!!! Congrats on the purchase!

Awesome to see so many BMWs in the 993 community!! We just bought an
E91 Xdrive Touring in November and absolutely love it! It's my wife's daily and
my Porsche Support Vehicle/Snowboard rig. I love BMW's rear wheel drive
biased xdrive system. It's amazing! Perhaps the people who have negative
things to say about it, haven't spent enough time behind the wheel!! The car is
a BEAST in the snow!

i concur, it's definitely awesome in all weather conditions

Originally Posted by il pirata
i had a 2010 c300 sport 4matic white/pano before this. really good car overall, just a bit too slow, and the transmission was awful. the gadgets were really user friendly though. the gas mileage wasn't great either. over the course of my 39 month lease i only got 16.0 mpg. i thought about the s4 but I'm not enough of an audi fan. don't really like the aesthetics, the b8 is getting a bit old, and the interior is getting dated.

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Wife is on her 3rd new BMW since 2007, I HATE the frickin' iDrive! Of course it doesn't help that I only drive the car 1 or 2 times a month and have the memory of a gnat but it frustrates me no end. She loves the car but admits she doesn't know how to use the functions either.

To the OP, love the color combo, that's the combo I wanted my wife to get but she insisted on adding another red car to the stable. Congrats and enjoy.
i agree the i-drive isn't great. the mercedes system was more user friendly in my opinion

Originally Posted by DB_NC_95C2
Pretty car, is it the new twin-scroll turbo ?

I rode in a friend's tuned 335i MSport. Software, no cats, downpipe, ~ 500hp, beastly acceleration.... amazing. His (don't know the year) was the twin-turbo version. I understand the newer ones have gone to twin-scroll turbos.

What I didn't know is that MSport is not just appearance, but suspension, essentially M3 without the M3 engine and overdone boy-racer appearance. MSport is more of a sleeper if you tune it.

Unlike S Line which is just 'look at me' appearance tweaks.

I would have a BMW as my daily driver, there are so few sporting (I'd have to have a stick and clutch of course) rear drive cars any more that come with manuals.

I think Audis are overweight, overpriced, underpowered 'look at me' VWs....

BMW and Porsche (and Mercedes for their engines even though they rarely put a manual tranny any more) are the only pure European sporting marques left.

I had been considering a Macan to replace the Cooper some day, until I read that it's going to have an Audi engine. F*CK that, if I could afford a newer Porsche product, it must have a Porsche-designed and built engine.
thanks i agree on the audi's i'm just not a fan. the bmw is plenty fast. 0-60 stock is in 4.8 seconds, and faster with a chip. the transmission is the best auto i've ever had.

I've had stick shift cars too including my 993 and e46 330. in new york traffic some form of automatic is necessary. I'm not much of a fan of BMW"s manual transmissions. I play ice hockey recreationally and in the event of injury I need some kind of car that doesn't require 4 working limbs haha.

Quick Reply: My new daily: 335xi M-Sport