Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
Looks fantastic and is likely healthy
Congrats!

The leakdown was not done properly, no way around it
+1
but, you posted in the wrong forum, asked for advice and despite all the comments didn't take the advice... why did you ask? if you're going to ignore us anyways!
Car looks great, but the exhaust tips a little low - could be just not adjusted properly or could be bad engine mounts...
Old 01-10-2013, 01:45 AM
Spyder34
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Basal Skull
+1
but, you posted in the wrong forum, asked for advice and despite all the comments didn't take the advice... why did you ask? if you're going to ignore us anyways!
Car looks great, but the exhaust tips a little low - could be just not adjusted properly or could be bad engine mounts...
I like you Basal...you call it like you see. I must have read all the posts in this thread 4 or 5 times. Spoke to three local shops here in Chicago. Talked to a couple PCA friends and didn't sleep a wink in the last 48 hours. For me due diligence is about going in with eyes wide open-- no surprises. And I heard everything from "it's fine, go for it!" to "walk away". Mostly stuff in between though.

The car has had 4 owners and 3 are related and have had the car since 2003. I have all books and records since birth. PPI was superb-- but when I saw the leakdown numbers I freaked out and was extremely disappointed as I had set myself up for 4-6%. I immediately posted. But I came to the conclusion (after digesting all of the comments and reading alot about the test) that MarkD (and you) came to.

I almost didn't even do the test. I previously walked away from two 993tt in the last 60 days due to the PPI. But this one feels right (I did drive it) and I am going in knowing the possible problems (however remote the risk). Had everyone said "walk away" given all of the facts, I think I would have (I'm not emotionally tied to it just yet).

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to offer their thoughts and advice and I hope this thread helps others in a similar situation. It is much appreciated.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:07 AM
Spyder34
Instructor

+1
Oh, and about those exhaust tips-- which is the only modification on the car (besides the tint (yuck!) and the wheels)-- I agree. But upon quick inspection, it looked like I'd have to raise the cats in order to keep everything level and not angle the tips. After the tint and wheels, that will be next on the list.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:40 AM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

Good move ditching the tint and the chromed wheels - it looks great! Good luck!
Old 01-10-2013, 09:59 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder34
Oh, and about those exhaust tips-- which is the only modification on the car (besides the tint (yuck!) and the wheels)-- I agree. But upon quick inspection, it looked like I'd have to raise the cats in order to keep everything level and not angle the tips. After the tint and wheels, that will be next on the list.
Motor mounts are probably out to lunch

cheap and easy fix though
Old 01-10-2013, 10:32 AM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Hmm, not sure if I agree. It seems to me that at 100psi, you might start to observe leaks that do not happen at 35psi, so the reading could be different. I mentioned that in my post. For example, the rings may be able to hold a 35lb pressure fine, but at 100psi fail a bit (like you said, closer to operating pressures).

cheers,

Mike
Mike, I totally agree with higher pressures creating leaks possibly not present at lower pressures. My response was regarding the % maths calculation - I meant that from any starting pressure you can calculate a %. The key is, if all the tests are done at the same pressures, then that % can be used as a common currency that we can all compare. Different pressures = not directly comparable % values. Sorry for confusion.

To the OP, sorry for derailing. I think a lot has to be said for the gut feeling you have, especially if you've experienced a few different examples. Your tone indicates you will not jump into something without due diligence so thanks for posting and replying and letting us in on your process.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:07 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

[ But upon quick inspection, it looked like I'd have to raise the cats in order to keep everything level and not angle the tips.
Don't know if it's your tech telling you this but the level of the cats is not really adjustable/ can't be raised. You can slightly adjust how the mufflers and the exhaust tips sit, or it could be the engine mounts that can fail/leak as mentioned previously.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:59 AM
Spyder34
Instructor

Originally Posted by LimeyBoy
Mike, I totally agree with higher pressures creating leaks possibly not present at lower pressures. My response was regarding the % maths calculation - I meant that from any starting pressure you can calculate a %. The key is, if all the tests are done at the same pressures, then that % can be used as a common currency that we can all compare. Different pressures = not directly comparable % values. Sorry for confusion.

To the OP, sorry for derailing. I think a lot has to be said for the gut feeling you have, especially if you've experienced a few different examples. Your tone indicates you will not jump into something without due diligence so thanks for posting and replying and letting us in on your process.
No problem-- actually the technical calcs and the interpretation is very interesting and educatinal...so feel free to carry-on!

Don't know if it's your tech telling you this but the level of the cats is not really adjustable/ can't be raised. You can slightly adjust how the mufflers and the exhaust tips sit, or it could be the engine mounts that can fail/leak as mentioned previously.
They are Fabspeed tips. Once I get it here locally, I'll see what can be done 'cause they do need to move up a bit.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:03 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

They are Fabspeed tips. Once I get it here locally, I'll see what can be done 'cause they do need to move up a bit.
Sagging muffler tips usually mean bad motor mounts. Tips pointing in the wrong direction probably need adjustment. 993s are very different cars compared to 996s and 997s.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:23 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Beautiful car. At that mileage it is doubtful there are any major problems. Good luck and enjoy your new toy.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:34 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Did the PPI identify the out-of-alignment exhaust tips, and provide a cause?

Good luck with the car, but those test results would be sitting in the back of my mind until I get confirmation it's ok. Maybe I have seen too many cars, I had a Turbo in the shop late last year, just had a rebuild (with 28,000 miles total on the car!), ran great, smooth idle, pulled as it should - did a PPI and found one cylinder at 25%. Rejected the car, and it went back to the owner to fix.

Low mileage does not mean there are no internal issues, especially on these cars. They can be damaged and abused even at 100 miles.

However, sounds like a great car and also this stuff does not appear to worry you much, so great - really enjoy the car!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-10-2013, 02:56 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Congrats! It's hard not to get emotional that will cloud your judgement before a purchase, but the decision is made now and appears your happy with it, and that's what counts at the end of the day.

So what kind of wheels are you going to swap them out with?

Totally agree no chrome and no tint!
Old 01-10-2013, 03:27 PM
hchc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesn't really matter now but the 35psi leakdown tester reminds me of those that sold in Harbor freight. Because they would only hold up (or calibrated to 35psi max) so they are junk. I bet that is what the shop is using. Nothing against HB (they are great for home use sometimes) But a reputable shop using equipment bought from Harbor Freight would at least gave me a pause.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:44 PM
96PCarrera993mg
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spyder34, It's a beautiful car but I agree to ditch the chrome wheels.
My advice would be to get a second leak down test conducted by a known reputable Porsche indie shop, with new leak down result you might get some sleep at night. While there ask them about the lowered tail pipes to be sure the motor mounts are in sound condition. It's better to pay a little now rather than pay a lot later.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:32 PM
Spyder34
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike J
Did the PPI identify the out-of-alignment exhaust tips, and provide a cause?

Good luck with the car, but those test results would be sitting in the back of my mind until I get confirmation it's ok. Maybe I have seen too many cars, I had a Turbo in the shop late last year, just had a rebuild (with 28,000 miles total on the car!), ran great, smooth idle, pulled as it should - did a PPI and found one cylinder at 25%. Rejected the car, and it went back to the owner to fix.

Low mileage does not mean there are no internal issues, especially on these cars. They can be damaged and abused even at 100 miles.

However, sounds like a great car and also this stuff does not appear to worry you much, so great - really enjoy the car!

Cheers,

Mike
No mention of pipes in PPI. I plan to do another leakdown (so I can sleep better!)- but I want to establish a relationship here in Chicago with the car, so I'll wait and do it here. Feel free to offer recs on local shops-- I have spoken to the owners of Perfect Power and Midwest Eurosport. I am sure the LD results are flawed and can't wait to report back to all of you the proper results.

Originally Posted by Knight
Congrats! It's hard not to get emotional that will cloud your judgement before a purchase, but the decision is made now and appears your happy with it, and that's what counts at the end of the day.

So what kind of wheels are you going to swap them out with?

Totally agree no chrome and no tint!
Believe it or not, owner had access to the original mint 18" turbo twist Porsche OEM hollow spokes-- and those will go on in the spring. I picked up a second set of OEM turbo twists that were powder-coated black with Pirellis for a song and those will go on it through the winter. Thoughts on black turbo twist rims?

Originally Posted by hchc
Doesn't really matter now but the 35psi leakdown tester reminds me of those that sold in Harbor freight. Because they would only hold up (or calibrated to 35psi max) so they are junk. I bet that is what the shop is using. Nothing against HB (they are great for home use sometimes) But a reputable shop using equipment bought from Harbor Freight would at least gave me a pause.
I think the same...inaccurate equipment causing me lots-o-headaches.

Originally Posted by 96PCarrera993mg
Spyder34, It's a beautiful car but I agree to ditch the chrome wheels.
My advice would be to get a second leak down test conducted by a known reputable Porsche indie shop, with new leak down result you might get some sleep at night. While there ask them about the lowered tail pipes to be sure the motor mounts are in sound condition. It's better to pay a little now rather than pay a lot later.
Chrome gone {Anybody want a set of chrome Techart Speedline wheels for cheap? Maybe for a dining room table base or something??} I could probably arrange it.

Great idea-- I'm thinking the same thing-- recs on local Chicagoland shops?

Quick Reply: Leakdown/compression results - 993tt