Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Possible/advisable to do control arm bushings job without bench vice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 03:40 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by 996scott
So how do you tell if your bushings are in need of replacing?
The most common symptom I've read, and what proved true on my car, was a "wobble" through the steering wheel when moving from 45 MPH through 55 MPH or coasting (Not braking) from 55 MPH down through 45 MPH. No wobble above or below that MPH window.

In my case, it felt much like the wobble accompanying a bad wheel bearing or warped rotors. New Walrod bushings eliminated the problem after I had chased theories related to faulty tire construction, warped wheels and wheel balance for 6 months.

Last edited by TMc993; 01-08-2013 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 01-08-2013, 03:41 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

Do you have a work bench or anything sizable with weight to clamp it to? It wasn't THAT big of a deal, just a few hours of cursing. If you do it yourself, make sure you really heat up the old bushings before trying to twist the metal innards out, makes the job a lot easier.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:43 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by TMc993
The most common symptom I've read, and what proved true on my car, was a "wobble" through the steering wheel when moving from 45 MPH through 55 MPH or coasting (Not braking) from 55 MPH down through 45 MPH. No wobble above or below that MPH window.

In my case, it felt much like the wobble accompanying a bad wheel bearing or warped rotors. After I chased faulty tire construction, warped wheel and wheel balance theories for 6 months new Walrod bushings eliminated the problem.
This is exactly correct. The prior owner of my car chased the "shimmy" as he called it via multiple tire balances, no luck. New bushings cured it.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:52 PM
356Downunder
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Give Autothority (Wayne or Glyn) in Christchurch a call and they will sort it out for you!!
Old 01-08-2013, 04:19 PM
stickypatch
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 356downunder:10128019
Give Autothority (Wayne or Glyn) in Christchurch a call and they will sort it out for you!!
Yeah I've definitely thought of that. Might be worth the money if they can get the old fittings out with a hydraulic press or something while I'm doing the shocks.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:27 PM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by TMc993

In my case, it felt much like the wobble accompanying a bad wheel bearing or warped rotors. New Walrod bushings eliminated the problem after I had chased theories related to faulty tire construction, warped wheels and wheel balance for 6 months.
TMc993, thanks for the info. So for someone who is not really that mechanically inclined, are the controll arms hard to take off? It lookd like 2 or three bolt that weren't too hard to get to. Does the alignment have to be redone after? Thanks.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:56 PM
Randall921
Instructor

Originally Posted by 996scott
TMc993, thanks for the info. So for someone who is not really that mechanically inclined, are the controll arms hard to take off? It lookd like 2 or three bolt that weren't too hard to get to. Does the alignment have to be redone after? Thanks.
It's not too difficult to remove/replace the control arms. There's a decent DIY somewhere. I don't think the alignment has to be redone if you mark the eccentric bolts correctly although when I did it, I also replaced the springs and needed to have the car aligned anyway. Removing the old bushings is a pain, I ended up bringing it to a shop to have them pressed out.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:09 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Removing the old bushings is a piece of cake (now that I have done at least six sets....). There are a few tricks though.

Removal is straight forward, no tricks. Remove the eccentric and holder nut on the strut side first, remove the two pivot bolts (one with a nut, the other longer one without), and use a rubber hammer and some persuasion to pull it out. Installation is a bit tighter, makes sure the notch on the forward pivot mount receives the tab from the front bushing, and tap the arm in, swinging in the lower ball joint of the strut roughly in place.

As for the arm:

1 - I use an acetylene torch to heat them up to pull out the insides - works like a charm - you need good heat. A plumbers torch will work too.
2 - I use a reciprocating saw with a metal blade to carve out the remaining rubber, and to notch the metal sleeve. Takes 10 seconds.
3 - I use two chisels (small and large) and a hammer to peel the metal sleeves out. The big one is done by peeling along the notch, and the smaller ones by breaking the seam between the arm and the bushing, effectively prying. Sometimes they come out in seconds, sometimes it takes a few minute of pounding.
4 - I clean up the metal bushings with a 8" wire wheel, the arms with emery cloth.
5 - You can hand press the small ones in, and the larger one will take a small C clamp or vice to get started. I use the vise to make sure they are all seated correctly.
6 - I use one to two sets of disposable rubber gloves per installation

I can pull both sides out, do the bushings, and have them back in torqued up in about 2 hrs and that is not rushing. This is not a hard DIY, but you do have to be a bit willing to pound on those sleeves to get them out (within reason of course). Good anger management.

The alignment has to be redone since, even with markings, you have to remove the bottom bolts. I think there is enough slack in the bolts that an alignment is called for.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-08-2013, 07:28 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Another way to determine if you need to do the work is the following: Take a pry bar and gently flex the bushing (the large one). You are looking for any cracks in the rubber.

In my case both of the bigger front ones were cracked from the center all the way to the outside. That's why I did the replacement. I also find these projects fun and am in the cheap b%@stard category. Incidentally, I do remember cursing quite a bit. I did not use the high heat method and had to pound away at them with a drift and chisel for a few hours - without a vise. Eventually, they come out

I just remembered a tip. When you put them back together remember to point the notch to its proper direction. Note where the notches are when you take them out. I think it was 3 o'clock on the left and 9 o'clock on the right IIRC.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:57 PM
stickypatch
Rennlist Member

Jackal's Forge has a video of a pry bar moving the control arm - hopefully this link will work for you.

http://www.jackals-forge.com/lotus/9...shbone_pry.wmv
Old 01-08-2013, 08:12 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by stickypatch
Jackal's Forge has a video of a pry bar moving the control arm - hopefully this link will work for you.

http://www.jackals-forge.com/lotus/9...shbone_pry.wmv
Yup, that's it. Of course you will want to remove the under-tray so you can see the bushing.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:59 AM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 123 Posts

Thanks, that video helped. It is now on my list of winter projects.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:26 PM
deekay911
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow - That video is pretty persuasive. Should help the sales of Walrod bushings no end!
Old 01-09-2013, 01:36 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by stickypatch
The core replacement deal is out of the question for me due to the cost of air freight between NZ and the US. Also my 993 is a daily driver - I wouldn't want it off the road for that long.

Getting a bench vice is no biggie - but where to put it is - as we're in the middle of selling our house at the moment. I'm planning for the car to be off the road for three days for the shocks/springs job and control arm bushings as a worst case (I'm pretty slow at DIY...)

With no bench available, either drill three holes in the dining table to mount the new vise or buy a black and decker workmate which will easily hold the arm whist you are working away with the hammer and chisels. If the going gets too tough, put the bench against a wall and use the wall for support on the opposite end of the arm. Always more ways than one ......
Old 01-09-2013, 02:10 PM
stickypatch
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NineMeister:10130306

With no bench available, either drill three holes in the dining table to mount the new vise or buy a black and decker workmate which will easily hold the arm whist you are working away with the hammer and chisels. If the going gets too tough, put the bench against a wall and use the wall for support on the opposite end of the arm. Always more ways than one ......
A Black and Decker Workmate! That's a great idea!

Quick Reply: Possible/advisable to do control arm bushings job without bench vice?