Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   9m93RS Clubsport #5 from USA origin Carrera 4 (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/734756-9m93rs-clubsport-5-from-usa-origin-carrera-4-a.html)

zechunique 05-11-2013 11:18 AM

Planted!

Poetry in motion. Of course, we've all come to expect nothing less out of your shop.

Thanks for your posts. You continue to feed the addition here...

9MRSCS 05-14-2013 10:56 AM

Astonishing

I have now had a couple of opportunities to drive the 9MSRSC off public roads.

The first opportunity was, as you may have seen, an auto cross time trail with Porsche Club Sweden at Ljungbyhed. It was fantastic to feel how different the car now is compared to how it was before 9m made the last re-build. Now taking the car to RS Club Sport specification but with its stronger engine and a re-geared gearbox.

Going from 4 to 2-wheel drive makes a lot of difference as the car now has a turn in which is direct with little to no understeer. The car had a LSD but driving it now made me realize that it had not worked since I purchased the car back in 2001. It was difficult with the 4-wheel drive system to understand what was what as the visco cupeling to the front transferred more power to the front wheels when the rears loose grip. The new Carbonetics LSD 40/60 which 9m has installed made the cars rear help when turning in and made the car more stable.

The new suspension has allowed for more camber and the stiffer suspension combined with the RS anti roll bars and fully welded cage made the car a pleasure to handle through the course, very flat with little roll of the chassis.

The revised engine and gearbox worked fine but had little difference on the track we drove as I stayed in 2nd gear and never ventured in to the new set of gears installed.
That I could win the R-group is evidence enough to the capacity of the car and beating Otto, supreme champion in auto cross division Syd since 2008, is a rare pleasure. The fact is that I think that I can go much faster once I learn to drive the car, watch out Otto:D

Yesterday I had the first opportunity to track the car and the venue was a track day at my local track Ring Knutstorp.
I decided to be very careful as you can see in the video:

I have driven this track with my car for the last 10-years and found my way around well before only to now realize that I can and will have to drive very different ways to go faster. The new brakes at the rear, had the big reds in front before, allows for later braking and the LSD helps to keep the rear end in place as well. The new chassis makes the car vey well planted and I had to hold myself back not to go too fast on this first track day. Instead I practiced different ways around the track to familiarize me with the car and also to see which gear I could use in different corners. The gear box from 2nd to 6th now makes the car feel like a motorbike and provides a flat acceleration where I can stay almost at peak power, 350 hp, through the gears.
As you all know it is sometimes hard to know what is the faster way around as you may gain in one place what you loose in the next section. I did time myself and stopped pushing at 1min 10 seconds but feel the car has a capacity to cut 2-3 seconds from the lap time once I get it right and know where the limits are of car/driver as a package.

I will continue to post videos on this tread as well as my evaluation of the car in the future. We will be driving the Nürburgring on 5, 6 and 8th of August as well as SPA on the 7th of August so If any of you Rennlister's reading this is around you are welcome to have a look at the car and to talk:corn:

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank Colin, Mark, Robin, Mark, Nick and the rest of the crew at Ninemesiter for their dedication to perfection and for transforming my car (which I felt was very good before they started) to one that is now truly ASTONISHING, the 9MRSCS:bowdown:

NineMeister 05-14-2013 02:33 PM

I shall pass on your kind words to all at Team Ninemeister!

Thanks for posting the video, nice little circuit from what I can see with many non-too-obvious lines that would be a real challenge to drive fast. 3 seconds? Don't kid yourself J, you will have 5 seconds off that time once you understand how to drive the Clubsport. Don't rush though, took me 5 years to get the best from mine!

All the best, look forward to reading more updates in the future. ;)

9MRSCS 05-15-2013 12:48 PM

A homage to her creators

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 728357:bowdown:

NineMeister 05-15-2013 12:53 PM

You should point out that the number plate has not been a victim of Photoshop!

Wow, what an accolade. Cheers! :cheers:

9MRSCS 05-15-2013 03:58 PM

Win Win

2 Attachment(s)
In Sweden you can buy these personalized number plates and the proceeds goes to research to improve traffic safety.

You have to add a sticker issued by the department of transport to the car showing the original registration number on which you have this personal registration plate, see sticker:

Attachment 728395

The cost is approx. 1000 dollars to a worthy cause as a homage to an achievement which 9m has earned through 20 years of hard work - Win Win:rockon:

9MRSCS 07-08-2013 10:31 AM

Trackday at the Falkenberg track in Sweden

The second time at the track the confidence is slowly building and the car is working well. The weather was perfect with 22 deg C. and sunshine. The track is one of the fastest in Sweden and quite tricky with a number of high speed corners where I took it easy but felt that the car had more to give.
The new gear box and the torquey engine provided options as to which gear to go through corners and I felt that there where more to give, but i I decided to keep my head cool:cool:
I enclose a video for all who are interested to view where I chase a Cayman R with whom I drove very close, on some laps he was ahead and then the other way around, hope you will enjoy it :roflmao:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gXcG...ature=youtu.be

I still hope to make it to the Nürburgring this year and will post a video if this happens:cheers:

clubsport1 07-08-2013 05:39 PM

Nice video. the car goes well......It will take time to get used to it, but if you have the correct RS big reds, you can definitely brake much later!

Have fun learning the ways of the car. :)

9MRSCS 07-08-2013 06:20 PM

Soo much to learn!

Hi Clubsport1.
Your are right - I can brake later but I am unused to how the care handles before turn in and I would hate to loose it.......
I had the rear brakes changed to RS spec and had the RS in the front from the previous re-build. The old differential never worked but the Carbonetic diff fitted by Ninemeister sure does (40/60 Ninemeisters own tweek). I do feel that it takes some learning to have a diff, rear wheel drive (remember I drove it a 4-wheel drive for 12 years) and bigger brakes at the rear.
It is very much like having a new car to master and it will sure take time to master, but time is all I have and boy will I enjoy it:thumbup:

Macca 07-08-2013 06:34 PM

Hi 9MRSCS. Lovely car. What telemetry/lap timing gear and software are you using please?

9MRSCS 07-09-2013 06:24 AM

Hi Macca,
I use a iPhone 4 with Harrys laptimer v.17.0.4. It is fitted in the TomTom holder which provides a more accurate GPS signal and I also have a KiWi-WiFi OBD connection to the car. This provides the rpm, accelerator level and through programing of the gear ratios in Harrys laptimer you also get the current gear in the display.
You can improve on the GPS update frequency and this I will do. The current TomTom holder provides a 1Hz update frequency but V-box has a system providing 20Hz. There are also other options and the main driver to do this is that the Tom Tom holder is not as rigid as one would like hence the picture is as you see not always perfect.
Check out Harrys Laptimer on the net as it is really neat (no affiliation).

Macca 07-09-2013 08:40 AM

9MRSCS. Thanks for the datapoints. For a low cost system it certainly seem to work well! Do you still have the Motornic ECU or do you run Motec?

9MRSCS 07-11-2013 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Macca (Post 10596329)
9MRSCS. Thanks for the datapoints. For a low cost system it certainly seem to work well! Do you still have the Motornic ECU or do you run Motec?

Hi Macca,
I still use the Motronic ECU and have a OBD2 socket to which I connect the KiWi wifi.

Macca 07-11-2013 11:57 PM

Thanks 9MRSCS. I had actually thought Colin did a Motec conversion on your engine but was obviously mistaken...

9MRSCS 08-07-2013 05:47 PM

A film from SPA

I have now had the opportunity to drive the 9MRSCS at SPA and as promised will now share this with you Rennlisters;)
The track day was organized by Curbstone and we where 76 cars, half of the cars was pure racing cars and where very much faster than us track day punters!!
It was raining all morning and did not dry up until 3 pm. I went out and did some laps in the wet to feel the track but the race cars throw up so much spray that you could see nothing...
In the afternoon I did about 10 dry laps and the one I share was about my 3rd dry lap on this circuit so the lines are poor:crying:

I will post more from the Ring where we have been driving for a couple of days and will continue tomorrow with RSR.
Hope you enjoy my stumbling steps at SPA:bigbye:
9MRSCS