Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can 993 owners NOT drive their cars often?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 03:50 PM
eddie_993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting perspective Paul and I mostly agree with you. 2 questions:

1) Is the red 930 in your signature the one you owned? The picture looks very familiar to some pics that I downloaded last year and was drooling after that 930...I still am

2) Do you drive your car WOT to ensure proper warm up or AFTER you have reached proper warm up?

Per my knowledge from the 993 owner's manual, you shouldn't go above 4200 rpm until it's warmed up...am I missing something?
Old 01-04-2013, 04:06 PM
pkrasusky
Racer

Eddie-

Jah, that's my former 930 - my bud (a photog) shot that from me returning home from my //SFest event a few years ago http://www.sfest.com. There's a bunch of pics online from there that you may have stumbled across. Thanks for the drool thoughts, they're fun and stunning cars.

LOL about the WOT for warm up! Yes silly, AFTER I've reached warm up - otherwise, um, yeah that's baaaad (!!!).

My point was, if I haven't reached warm up on a too short drive... I'll drive a few extra miles to ensure I do and can WOT at least 1x before parking it. Tho the WOT part was more in regard to the 930, the wastegate will freeze shut if you don't literally blow it out (BTDT the week after I got it, darn PO!) - Italian Tuneup baby 8-)...
Old 01-04-2013, 04:50 PM
eddie_993
Rennlist Member

LOL Paul just checking! The way you wrote it wasn't 100% clear to me...don't want you damaging your engine there haha
Old 01-04-2013, 05:19 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pkrasusky
to each their own...

...which doesn't mean you / I will ever understand it 8-)

My commute has me doing 12k/yr JUST going to / coming from werk. No way in HELL will I sit out there in the urban jungle for that galactic percentage of my life in some plebian non-pucker/giggle-inducing-mobile... no fekkin way!!!

I'm fortunate tho to commute via 2mi twisties, 22mi 3-5 lane interstates conducive to trip-digWOT, and 2mi cooldown backroad. Used to have garage home / garage work, but our office moved ah well. My commute in is my daily cuppa coffee, and way home is my rationale for having slaved away all day in the Rat Race.

Long as the roads aren't slippery, gloves are off - it's fair 911 game. I run errands and park wherever, just smartly centered and in / out quick. It's pretty small so it's usually well placed in its spot. It's just a car lol.

Heck, this morning here... @ 8*F with the roads sparking w/ black ice-ish gleen from evening's dew... I even went the 3mi up to my mom's garage where it's parked if snow's forecast (hate scraping my daily of snow/ice, that gets OLD!) and traded cars just to be able to drive it on a nice brisk Friday morning blast, as it'd been a week since I'd parked it. Ahhhhhhhhh. Dilema there is then I have to drive a a biturboV12 car 3mi to go get it only to then park that - exactly what we try to avoid w/ our 911's - d'oh. Worth it, but I have issues... and Fidelity Platinum 8-).

I don't get the 'has lost its lure / worn off' - but that's just me and yes you've owned them nearly as long as I've lived. Again, whatever works for you.

Me, I can't get enough time in mine and my kids love being ferried about to games parties errands etc. I too will crank a few WOT miles out of the way if it's too short an endeavor to ensure it's properly warmed up and blown out (in the 930 you really shouldn't shut it off w/o hitting the boost bong at least 1x once @ temp muwhahaa).

Every day is special in it, every mile a pleasure. A 911 is a great place to be, and a wonderful way to set about. And when I'm not, I feel like the Pope or some Diplomat in the 600 8-)... another very (veryveryvery) good place 'to be' / get around... Serenity Now!

I too cringe when I hear of the garage queens but hey that's not my business...
Guessing you don't live in the US if you are boasting about wide open throttle miles, and triple-digit speeds......................

Even when I did the Oakland-Petaluma commute 4-5 days/wk. to my one business (now absentee) in the '92 C4, it would have been absolutely irresponsible to stand out from the pack.

And yeah, the luster HAS worn off over the decades. Now, say the yellow car is a 1:38 runner at Laguna with fresh tires and a pro behind the wheel, I've still got 1:40-1:42 pace in me, tire dependent. The thought of running 1:45 laps means I'm just burning fuel at a buck a mile, and it isn't even worth the time away let alone the expense. And that compares to the fastest street equivalent I can imagine would have you running well over 2:00.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:14 AM
pkrasusky
Racer

Originally Posted by race911
Guessing you don't live in the US if you are boasting about wide open throttle miles, and triple-digit speeds......................

Even when I did the Oakland-Petaluma commute 4-5 days/wk. to my one business (now absentee) in the '92 C4, it would have been absolutely irresponsible to stand out from the pack.

And yeah, the luster HAS worn off over the decades. Now, say the yellow car is a 1:38 runner at Laguna with fresh tires and a pro behind the wheel, I've still got 1:40-1:42 pace in me, tire dependent. The thought of running 1:45 laps means I'm just burning fuel at a buck a mile, and it isn't even worth the time away let alone the expense. And that compares to the fastest street equivalent I can imagine would have you running well over 2:00.
see sig

Boast? Just stating daily reality is all, wasn't trying to come across otherwise.

Sorry to hear of your disenfranchisement. It's not all about shaving seconds for lots of folk. It's the smart rev-matched downshift perfectly caught. It's the sonorous howl of the intake as the tach delves into powerband. It's the satisfaction of the perpetual gander one shoots back at these after a proper Rogering.

I adore a particular quote recently caught here, something to the effect of "I let mine idle down for a brief few moments after a good run - not only as a cool down, but more simply because I don't want it to end".

aFrickinmen, brutha.

I commuted previous in my TR3 in an ode to Carpe Diem - I'm not particularly right. The top was down tonight enroute to the homestead, 24starry*F and all... ahhhhhhhhhhh...

The light that burns hottest burns quickest... sounds like you burnt yourself out there on these in quest of the Holy Laptime. Bummer. I endeavor to never 8-)...
Old 01-05-2013, 04:29 AM
Coyote
Advanced

Originally Posted by pkrasusky
see sig

Boast? Just stating daily reality is all, wasn't trying to come across otherwise.

Sorry to hear of your disenfranchisement. It's not all about shaving seconds for lots of folk. It's the smart rev-matched downshift perfectly caught. It's the sonorous howl of the intake as the tach delves into powerband. It's the satisfaction of the perpetual gander one shoots back at these after a proper Rogering.

I adore a particular quote recently caught here, something to the effect of "I let mine idle down for a brief few moments after a good run - not only as a cool down, but more simply because I don't want it to end".

aFrickinmen, brutha.

I commuted previous in my TR3 in an ode to Carpe Diem - I'm not particularly right. The top was down tonight enroute to the homestead, 24starry*F and all... ahhhhhhhhhhh...

The light that burns hottest burns quickest... sounds like you burnt yourself out there on these in quest of the Holy Laptime. Bummer. I endeavor to never 8-)...
AFrickinmen!!!!!
Old 01-06-2013, 11:30 AM
Z-nomore
Instructor

My main reason for not driving more regularly is 2 month old twin girls...

Weather is not usually a concern. I do enjoy the drive to and from work on occasion, but I have to park on a pier and cringe at the thought of 8-10 hours of salt spray hitting my car all day long.

I am also very carefully about parking, but my car is not without some scratches.

I also have multiple cars, but nothing as glamorous as some of the members here. Just a Volvo with 330,000 miles, a Saab which likes going to the shop more than being on the road and our baby machine an LX470. I would love to have an S4, RS4, CTS-V wagon or something of the like.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:41 PM
Holytin
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedyellow993
Try having a few little ones.... LOL !!! Seriously, it will cut your milage in 1/2
Yep!!!

Mine are 5 and 1 years old resulting in maybe 700 miles per year. On the plus side - after 9 years of ownership eveery trip is still special...
Old 01-06-2013, 03:12 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Try having kids, work in NYC traveling on mass transit and the weather in the north east will constrain the amount of time behind the wheel.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:15 PM
shamrock
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here in ireland car tax has become prohibitive .. It costs €1750 to just tax my car for the year. And from October to February it's just sodden windy or salty slippery conditions .. So mine stays tucked up for winter , and I just pay 6 months tax.
.. Gives me an extra €800 for creamy pints of Guinness!

That doesn't mean I don't miss driving her at this time .. I find I frequent 993 forums a lot more in Winter months searching for my fix!

I normally then do about 3000 miles during the Summer months.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:01 PM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

I could care less about mileage but will not subject my car to New England snow and roads. Its just too painful to even think about-so my car gets driven mainly in the summer. Then add the fact that I work out of the house so I don't have a commute. The combination of scenarios has my car sitting in the garage most of the time-but I enjoy the **** out of it when I can!

Last edited by Franklin229; 01-09-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:03 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shamrock
Here in ireland car tax has become prohibitive .. It costs €1750 to just tax my car for the year. And from October to February it's just sodden windy or salty slippery conditions .. So mine stays tucked up for winter , and I just pay 6 months tax.
.. Gives me an extra €800 for creamy pints of Guinness!

That doesn't mean I don't miss driving her at this time .. I find I frequent 993 forums a lot more in Winter months searching for my fix!

I normally then do about 3000 miles during the Summer months.
Sounds like highway robbery - all due to governmental incompetency
Old 01-06-2013, 08:10 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 686 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by RS man
Sounds like highway robbery - all due to governmental incompetency
Governments are very good at pi$$ing money away, but then how can you expect people who run government to manage it better than they manage their own household finances.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:47 PM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

I've been trying to save the miles on my car. I picked it up with 42 miles on it. I only use it on special occasions, like when I have somewhere to go or just want to take a ride.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:10 AM
SOS
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Right now I'm driving my car through the winter for the first time. The road salt makes me nervous but luckily I haven't seen much dumped on our roads here yet. Extra miles for me this year!

Quick Reply: How can 993 owners NOT drive their cars often?