Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can 993 owners NOT drive their cars often?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 12:49 AM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All the same reasons here. Kids, other cars, motorcycle, travel for work, or some times I leave something apart like when I was fiddling with the exhaust, headlights, soon weather will also not help but it's quite a treat to drive when I can get in it!
Old 01-03-2013, 01:37 AM
eddie_993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
5 years owning 993's, driven about 90kmi!!!

I drive'em!

Seriously, my C4S was purchased with 36kmi, and in 3 months it had 40kmi, and I had to really try hard to leave it in the garage!!!
That you do! The 1st owner of my car drove it 20k miles per year on average for the 1st 5 years so he beat you by a bit lol

These things are meant to be driven!
Old 01-03-2013, 02:03 AM
red95993
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=eddie_993;10114355]I get what you're saying. Maybe you should sell it and buy another one that has lower mileage, that way you never go past 100k OR just keep driving this one. Something's gotta give

I agree...I'll keep driving it. Next up is a supercharger or a trans re-gear. I just have life on pause for a while untill I am gainfully employed again!
Old 01-03-2013, 02:38 AM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I drive the snot out of my cars. Cheaper than therapy.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:41 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I have two significantly different vehicles - the 993 Turbo and the Ford F250 Super Duty 4x4 V10 with a full utility box and power tailgate. Short runs, crappy parking, lousy weather, traffic, gotta haul something -> take the truck. Longer trips, better weather, less traffic -> take the Turbo.

Honestly, it's silly to take the Turbo, which barely gets warmed up, to drop my daughter off at a friends 5 minutes away, or to hit the library. I am lucky, I have a choice!

My wife drives a Forester, and while its a little econobox, I will be honest in that I prefer it going downtown, the traffic brutal and I do not worry about where its parked that much.

My job has changed over the last few years, I telecommute about 14 days out of 15, so I have no commuting time or mileage, so that has reduced my driving time quite a bit.

I agree with Ken and a few others as well> after 20+ years of 911 ownership, I like to savour when I drive the car and at least have the chance to open it up a bit. No way that is going to happen in the city. I also have kids (almost grown up now!), which when they were growing up I sometimes used the 911 (to drop my daughter off at dance class) but you know what, the truck was just easier.

Cheers,

Mike

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-03-2013, 08:41 AM
DanL993
button queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car had less than 25K miles when I found it three years ago. I put on less than 2K per year in a 9 month driving season primarily because 1) I have a DD for DD stuff, 2) I drive the Porsche on weekends for special drives on nice afternoons or for breakfast early on Sunday on rural roads where I can enjoy it, and 3) to retain the value I saw in the car when it was purchased. I bought it to keep in excellent condition and to use on weekends....read: "Garage Queen".

I felt that I had a legacy of sorts and a responsibility to keep it a bit unique in its condition and low mileage.

See me when I sell (whenever that is) and you'll find a real gem.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:31 AM
963K993
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

My short drive to work doesn't justify leaving it in the heat and ocean air all day. Plus with the slower than speed limit traffic and the rolling road blocks of our seasonal residents I can only get in trouble driving in the middle of the day (like passing on the shoulder). So I drive it on nice evenings when the early bird specials are over and the Cadillacs are back in their garages and early weekend mornings when the only other cars are golfers that are late for their tee times.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:44 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 287 Posts

At my stage in life, these are fun cars for enjoyable events in nice weather. Plenty of others to choose from. Like LEON993, I agree: If you don't have to, why fire up a 993 when you're not going to get it up to operating temp.?
Old 01-03-2013, 11:36 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

The limited miles we drive get spread between five cars. Our VW Touareg gets most of the WalMart and Home Depot runs. The Audi is the workaday commuter. The Cayman sees the track. Which splits the 993 and the old BMW for the fun drives. Not that I'm complaining.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:39 PM
eddie_993
Rennlist Member

Very interesting, I knew there would be many people with multiple cars/weather/short drives/work/etc. but I was curious to see if there was anyone who purposely doesn't drive it because of mileage. After all the responses it seems that only about 2 people do that.

When I needed to go somewhere close by and I absolutely HAD to take the 911 (b/c it had been like 4 days since last driving it) I would end up getting on the freeway and turning a 1 mile round trip into 10-15 miles
Old 01-03-2013, 08:00 PM
96PCarrera993mg
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For me it would be more weather related than anything else. During the rain/snow season in the PNW I will not drive my 993 on a two mile dirt road before I hit the blacktop pavement road. In the summer we have the dust issue but it will not prevent me from driving it.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:34 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Someone get me a better weather, I would love to drive my car more!!!
Old 01-03-2013, 11:35 PM
Sportsman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by niche
I drive the snot out of my cars. Cheaper than therapy.
niche, "cheaper than therapy" made me smile. I will be a 993 owner in February. I also have antique wooden boats (You guys don't know what a disease is...I have 6 of these). One of my trailers has a bumper sticker that says "Cheaper than a psychiatrist"
Old 01-04-2013, 01:18 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 235 Posts

Timely thread as I have a friend lending me his 2012 CTS-V wagon for the weekend...

My issues are:

1. Work commute - is 125 kms each way daily meaning I'm putting on 5,000kms per month. This is why I daily drive a 08 VW GTI. In 2 years I've put on +100,000kms on the car and believe it or not -NOT ONE SINGLE MECHANICAL ISSUE! These cars are amazing for quality and durability. And...I'm regularly doing 80-100 mph on the highway because we can!

2. Kiddies - my daughter loves "daddy's car" so the 993 is the weekend grocery store or ice cream car....LOL. Yes, I do let her climb all over the interior as she's only little once and I can always get replacement interior parts. Secondly, we have just had a baby boy named Hudson so he's taking more of our time...

3. Time. I'm doing my MBA and working full time so I've found I'm missing car meets and other car related things that should keep me entertained with the car.

Issues: I find myself loving my 993 C4S but part of me long's for a really cool daily driver like the CTS-V or a newer 997.2 or 991.

I'm not planning on selling the 993 as I have started bringing it to work once a week and really enjoy the highway "spirited" driving.

My wife and daughter also love the 993 so I'll need to revise my budgeting and find a nice daily once we return to Canada by summer (options are CTS-V, Audi S4, RS4 or something wagon related).
Old 01-04-2013, 03:01 PM
pkrasusky
Racer

to each their own...

...which doesn't mean you / I will ever understand it 8-)

My commute has me doing 12k/yr JUST going to / coming from werk. No way in HELL will I sit out there in the urban jungle for that galactic percentage of my life in some plebian non-pucker/giggle-inducing-mobile... no fekkin way!!!

I'm fortunate tho to commute via 2mi twisties, 22mi 3-5 lane interstates conducive to trip-digWOT, and 2mi cooldown backroad. Used to have garage home / garage work, but our office moved ah well. My commute in is my daily cuppa coffee, and way home is my rationale for having slaved away all day in the Rat Race.

Long as the roads aren't slippery, gloves are off - it's fair 911 game. I run errands and park wherever, just smartly centered and in / out quick. It's pretty small so it's usually well placed in its spot. It's just a car lol.

Heck, this morning here... @ 8*F with the roads sparking w/ black ice-ish gleen from evening's dew... I even went the 3mi up to my mom's garage where it's parked if snow's forecast (hate scraping my daily of snow/ice, that gets OLD!) and traded cars just to be able to drive it on a nice brisk Friday morning blast, as it'd been a week since I'd parked it. Ahhhhhhhhh. Dilema there is then I have to drive a a biturboV12 car 3mi to go get it only to then park that - exactly what we try to avoid w/ our 911's - d'oh. Worth it, but I have issues... and Fidelity Platinum 8-).

I don't get the 'has lost its lure / worn off' - but that's just me and yes you've owned them nearly as long as I've lived. Again, whatever works for you.

Me, I can't get enough time in mine and my kids love being ferried about to games parties errands etc. I too will crank a few WOT miles out of the way if it's too short an endeavor to ensure it's properly warmed up and blown out (in the 930 you really shouldn't shut it off w/o hitting the boost bong at least 1x once @ temp muwhahaa).

Every day is special in it, every mile a pleasure. A 911 is a great place to be, and a wonderful way to set about. And when I'm not, I feel like the Pope or some Diplomat in the 600 8-)... another very (veryveryvery) good place 'to be' / get around... Serenity Now!

I too cringe when I hear of the garage queens but hey that's not my business...

Quick Reply: How can 993 owners NOT drive their cars often?