My 993 Rebirth Continues...

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 07:19 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Nurburger
Wow, squeaky clean...

With all this effort, I assume you'll be making the trip up to MI for this year's parade?

Looking forward to seeing more progress pictures (perhaps you could post some pictures of the car in this thread also?).
Not sure if the Parade will be doable for me.... Very busy being semi-retired.

I will add pix as work progresses. I will be working slowly and carefully.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:22 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JM993
Fantastic George. Can't wait to see the final result.

Curious whether you will be regearing the transmission and/or reducing the compression ratio to allow for more boost?

Cheers,
Joe
No regearing or compression changes. The car was tuned at TPC's shop and is running great. Any major changes could introduce problems. I can't wait till it is broken in and get some track time in.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:47 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CarreraX
Looks great. What did he do to get the cases that clean? Vibratory?
Mike at JB Racing said he used 'aircraft paint remover' and hosed it off. No wire brushing or grit blast. It came out great IMHO.

My limited slip diff was soooo worn out, it appeared not to have a LSD. Mike looked it over and talked to Guard (LSD manufacturer) and their internals can be installed into the OEM housing. This will be an improvement over the stock parts and save me $$$.

I should receive more pix in the next couple of days.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:28 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Curious to know - how many miles and what was the shape of the main/intermediate/wrist bearings?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-02-2013, 10:21 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mike J
Curious to know - how many miles and what was the shape of the main/intermediate/wrist bearings?

Cheers,

Mike
I have 48k miles (18" rims may have skewed actual miles) with 26k with the supercharger. Not sure what condition the bearings were in when they opened her up. I will have to ask. They did say the jugs were in perfect shape, very round bores, no issues, just a hone and new rings. As people say, while you are in there, might as well do a complete refresh! This should be one sweet engine!!!!!
Old 01-02-2013, 10:34 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is awesome. Any photos of the completed rain gutter delete? Lovely car you have.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:51 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Benton
This is awesome. Any photos of the completed rain gutter delete? Lovely car you have.
Mark,

Thanks for the props!!!!

Here are the thread names for the complete saga from the beginning. Lots of pix.

My Sad, sad Fraiday

The healing has started

My car is Now Home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-03-2013, 09:38 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

The main bearings are in great shape and will be reused. The OEM bearings are much better than aftermarket, but new OEM bearings are expensive. I assume the intermediate & wrist bearings are also in good shape, however we went with new Pauter rods.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:47 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Interesting. There are those who believe you should not reuse the mains due to crush when the case halves are joined, or if the crank is polished or otherwise modified. I do agree that aftermarket bearings lately seem to be of less quality so I can see why you did this. The secondary shaft bearings usually show some wear as well as the nose bearing - were those replaced?

Good idea with the Pauter rods, and I assume ARP rod bolts or something equivalent?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-07-2013, 09:43 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Interesting. There are those who believe you should not reuse the mains due to crush when the case halves are joined, or if the crank is polished or otherwise modified. I do agree that aftermarket bearings lately seem to be of less quality so I can see why you did this. The secondary shaft bearings usually show some wear as well as the nose bearing - were those replaced?

Good idea with the Pauter rods, and I assume ARP rod bolts or something equivalent?
JB Racing has lots of experience in this area. If you get your hands on the latest issue of Grass Roots Racing, there is an article on the magazine's project 911 car that JB Racing did the engine internals.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:27 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Updates....

JB Racing checked out my trans/diff. What started out as 'you don't have a LSD in there' to 'your LSD is toast!'. Mike checked with Guard and found that their LSD internals can be fitted to my OEM diff housing. That will save some $$. It may be ready for pick up later next week.

I just received my calipers that were completely rebuilt, repainted, new logo by Goldline Brakes out of Seattle, WA. They look GREAT!!! Thanks John!!!!
Note the new piston seals, etc... in the pix.

Got lots of cleaning and finishing to do before reassembly...
Attached Images    
Old 01-09-2013, 07:54 PM
Toddster
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 22 Posts

What are your plans with the supercharger, are you reinstalling it?
Curious if it will go back on after you finish this refresh
Old 01-10-2013, 01:10 AM
Robert Collins - 96 993TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great pics! Keep em coming! Can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:21 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Toddster
What are your plans with the supercharger, are you reinstalling it?
Curious if it will go back on after you finish this refresh
Yes!!!!! The Supercharger will absolutely go back on. That little air pump is golden and well worth the extra hp/torque!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-20-2013, 07:45 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Robert Collins - 96 993TT
Great pics! Keep em coming! Can't wait to see the finished product.
Your wish is granted.....

I received my engine and trans back from JB Racing. It looks great. I will be taking the engine tin and other painted parts to a local Powder Coat shop for finishing. The engine support bracket has the aftermarket stiffener welded on along with the support for the Supercharger Idler pulley. That required some cutting and fitting, but it is now one piece and stiff!!! The welding is not the greatest, but I am learning and some grinding helps to hide.

In the pix is what my aluminum parts look like prior to grit blasting. Another pix is some of the rear suspension parts blasted clean. I bought chemical film conversion materials (iridite/Alodine) from Spruce Airplane Supplies. This will put a yellow/golden non-corrosion finish on the aluminum parts. There is no dimensional change in size, so I can easily press in the new bushings.

More to follow...
Attached Images       

Quick Reply: My 993 Rebirth Continues...