Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

New 993 owner - '96 targa, triple black, manual, 74k miles, prior top end rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 03:01 PM
sunlion
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking New 993 owner - '96 targa, triple black, manual, 74k miles, prior top end rebuild

This cark rocks. Details of purchase are in the sticky. Only gratuitous photos here (dealer shots.) I'll take some of my own soon. Same night, dug into the targa and fixed part of the mechanism which wans't raising the driver side of the deflector. Considering disabling the switch for the targa. Al least I can still enjoy the views.
Attached Images              
Old 12-29-2012, 05:39 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Looks good! Now that you adjusted the roof, why not use it?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 12-29-2012, 06:06 PM
pcarrera993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats. Nice looking car.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:12 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 997 Likes on 440 Posts

Congrats!
Old 12-29-2012, 06:14 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Damn. I'm jealous, but congrats. That's a gorgeous car! Enjoy it.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:54 PM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 124 Posts

Very nice. Congrats. What kind of wheels are those?
Old 12-29-2012, 08:59 PM
sunlion
Advanced

OZ Racing, 19s, added by the PO, brand new tires by the dealer. They look even better in person. Lots of fender rub (fenders rolled by dealer) since it has lowering springs but this will be addressed on Friday at the suspension shop. Thinking of PSS10s or a KW Variant package.

I'm a little scared of the whole targa thing especially after reading the targa top post but I'm pretty mechanical so we'll see. Not too much of an issue this time of year give all the rain in the PNW. In my exercise taking apart the wind deflector the other night, some of the pieces seem a little frail, prone to wear but I think the problem originated because of loose screws. I added lock washes to certain screws.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:26 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Why would you buy a Targa and not want to use the roof? Isn't that the main draw for buying a Targa?

Very nice Targa, by the way
Old 12-30-2012, 12:11 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 710 Likes on 518 Posts
Default nice looking ride

Looks like a great find........car doesn't need to be so low anyways......it has enough going for it as it is.......
Old 12-30-2012, 03:19 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by sunlion
I'm a little scared of the whole targa thing especially after reading the targa top post but I'm pretty mechanical so we'll see.
I have been pretty hard on the Targa's of late after wrestling with mine for 10 years, so that might be a biased view - but they certainly are great cars, and I love the feel of the glass roof. Enjoy!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 12-30-2012, 10:22 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Looks great! You do, need a new spoiler wall.

Sad thing about the Traga in the PNW is the lack of roof sills. When you get in and out of the car, you will get water on your crotch.

When you get the suspension done, have them dial in some camber, it might help the tire rub a little.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:34 PM
sunlion
Advanced

Thanks for the welcome folks.

Where do I find that spoiler and bumper? Anyone have sport seats for sale?

I dug into the targa top a little more last night. The spring for the shade in the driver rear was twisted an both sides were too long. It was catching on the rear rubber seal of the glass top. I straightened it out and cut about 5mm off the end. Works fine now. Seem like much of the issues have to do with things coming loose and causing wear because there is such little room between moving parts. Anyhow, I'm enjoying the open feel of the glass roof and see myself using it once the weather improves in the spirng and summer. I'm gaining some confidence in being able to fix it now that I've explored it some. Its obvious why it would be frunstrating to so many, and expensive to repair. As I read somewhere, its "unnecessarily complicated."

I had an '05 997 for 5 years. This car feels quicker!! It sure is fun to drive.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:44 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by sunlion
Thanks for the welcome folks.

Where do I find that spoiler and bumper? Anyone have sport seats for sale?

I dug into the targa top a little more last night. The spring for the shade in the driver rear was twisted an both sides were too long. It was catching on the rear rubber seal of the glass top. I straightened it out and cut about 5mm off the end. Works fine now. Seem like much of the issues have to do with things coming loose and causing wear because there is such little room between moving parts. Anyhow, I'm enjoying the open feel of the glass roof and see myself using it once the weather improves in the spirng and summer. I'm gaining some confidence in being able to fix it now that I've explored it some. Its obvious why it would be frunstrating to so many, and expensive to repair. As I read somewhere, its "unnecessarily complicated."

I had an '05 997 for 5 years. This car feels quicker!! It sure is fun to drive.
Anyplace that sells Porsche parts will have the spoiler wall. I get all my parts from either FDM, or Sunset Porsche in OR. Once you get it, come on over, and I'll show you how to put it in, takes about 10min.

For the Targa roof, search for Mike J, he is perhaps the most knowledgeable person around for that stuff. He has "been there done that".

The 993 is much slower in a straight line then the 997, but the rawness and over all feel makes it feel faster. You can also have a lot more fun with it at lower speeds.

In February there is the first PCA Auto-X, you should come on out, there are about 8, 993 there.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:46 PM
jago
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 72 Posts

that looks badass with the black wheels. congrats!
i assume this will be a street only car
so watch the potholes on those big 19s.
porsche apparently frowned on anything over 17"
on the targa. good idea to lighten up the suspension a bit.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:39 AM
BLT
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the Targa! I was looking at that one online and considered driving south to check it out. Glad to see she found a good home. And you've already tackled the targa top. Nice!

- BT

Quick Reply: New 993 owner - '96 targa, triple black, manual, 74k miles, prior top end rebuild