Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acceptable tolerances on paint meter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 04:36 AM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If this is the car you are referring too I do not know about the paint but the " Turbo S " front chin spoiler was not fitted very well from this picture . I just finish installing a OEM
turbo bumper and S spoiler on my car last week and the fit is way better than I see at the angle of picture . IMHO check if spoiler is aftermarket fiberglass or PU
You can compare the two picture below to see what I`m saying

Cheers Guy
Attached Images   

Last edited by briefescape; 12-24-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:38 AM
dbrians
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put a paint meter to my car before I bought it last month - all numbers were between 4.5 and 5.5. So I had the seller put the meter to another 993 and many of its panels were also 4.5 - 5.5...except the hood and R front fender...which were 8.5 - 10.0...indicating a respray. With 53,xxx on the clock, my front bumper and hood both show some pitting from rock / debris damage.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:57 AM
relinuca
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default port of entry repair?

A few years ago, I sold my 993 coupe to a well known east coast dealer. The sale was dependent on my car being a "no re-paint/no stories" example, and I agreed since I was fully confident my car had never been re-painted anywhere.

A thorough paint meter examination revealed one small area on the passenger door where the thickness jumped to 7-8.0. But there was absolutely no visual indication of re-paint or repair work. I thought the deal might therefore fall through, but it did not.

The highly experienced "inspector" theorized that the car might have been scratched during loading/shipping/unloading at the port of entry (Elizabeth, NJ, in my case) where all the German luxury car companies will "fix" minor damage before shipping out to their dealers.

relinuca
Old 12-24-2012, 02:24 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

So, which paint meters are you guys using (brand, model) and what is the stated accuracy of the devices?

Just curious, might be looking into one.

cheers,

Mike
Old 12-24-2012, 04:43 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
So, which paint meters are you guys using (brand, model) and what is the stated accuracy of the devices?

cheers,
Mike
Mike, I bought the DeFelsko PosiTest DFT Combo that measures paint thickness on all types of metals (ferrous & non-ferrous).

Check the specifications on the link above. The unit comes with calibrated sheets of plastic and a Certificate of Calibration traceable to NIST.

They are pricey so I waited till Autogeek had a 15% sale and free shipping. A bit nuts, but it beats spending money on other vices.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:38 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 536 Posts

The good Doc is bang on....
Old 02-27-2017, 03:16 PM
migala4
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,
i am looking at a red Targa right now and the paint looks amazing and is between 3.2 and 4.2. The car has little imperfections through out just like the other 2 porsche at this shop. I used my thumb to rub on it a bit to see if there are actually little imperfections and i ended up scratching it a bit by just rubbing my thumb on it. That sensitive? Because the other 2 Porsche had similar imperfections (i didnt do the thumb rubbing) that were consistent i was thinking that this is just how Porsche paint is. Now i see the carfax and it states "vehicle color noted red" all of a sudden half way through its life. Carfax is no good but now its really concerning me. Ive been looking for a car like this for eever and am just worried to miss my opportunity because of my **** european brain.

Im reading what i just wrote and feel like i just answered my own question..

Quick Reply: Acceptable tolerances on paint meter?