993 Forum 1995-1998

random orbital time!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 01:48 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Curious. What do you guys think the fundamental difference will be between the flex and the porter cable, given the same pads and compounds?
Old 12-19-2012, 02:46 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

quicker, can take more pressure without loss of oscillation.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:51 PM
Neil Perry
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I mentioned earlier look at the 850 Watt units or better, they have more power/torque.
The earlier orbital polisher are less wattage, which equals less power before stalling.

Looking at a number of these polishers, they look like they come from the same factory in China and just make them from a different colour plastic.
The designs are the same. So to say one works better then another.. MMMMMMMM.
I guess you would call this colour engineering (we have moved from badge engineering)

Plus I find it interesting the cost of a polisher compared to an angle grinder, very similar.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:53 PM
meine911
Racer

[QUOTE=badabing;10083552]Go to detailedimage.com and follow instructions for 2 bucket wash method.

Grit guards a must.[/QUOTE

Thanks.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:18 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 826 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Curious. What do you guys think the fundamental difference will be between the flex and the porter cable, given the same pads and compounds?
my PC seems to be failing.
slight pressure = loss of oscillation and rotational stalling.
I've had it ~ 5 years and it probably has ~ 80 - 90 hours of use.
= time to upgrade to a different RA polisher.

also considered the new Rupes machine, but decided to stick with German engineering instead of Italian design.

Craig
Old 12-19-2012, 07:18 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
You can say that again since some of his info is BS.

Exactly which info is BS? Seriously asking. I followed some of his advice with pretty decent results.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:57 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

According to Autogeek, the "FLEX XC 3401 Orbital Polisher is a dual action polisher on steroids!" :-D

It is made in Germany, not in the aforementioned Chinese factory.

It has a more powerful motor, and has a "forced rotation" i.e. it does not bog down as you apply pressure.

I do not have mine yet, nor do I have experience with the PC, but from what I've read on the forums, the Flex is the one to have.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:45 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jhg41977
Bright lights will help a lot. Get a set of 500w halogens on a stand. That will make it very easy to see what you have accomplished. You can check out www.detailed domain.com as well as the concours forum here. Phil at detailers domain was a huge help to me. He can suggest the correct compounds, pads and lighting for your car.
I have spent about $1200 in the past year on supplies and $300 for a detailing class at Phil's shop. He is a great guy and has good products.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:46 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

I have PC and Griots...

all you need is a Griots...buy it as BJs when it is on sale.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:55 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

2:45-3:05 Classic!

Originally Posted by coreseller
I also spent a bit of time watching a fellow on Youtube explain everything from how to wash, clay bar, polish, etc. He goes by the name of Junkman. I'm guessing some will disagree with some of what he says, but following his advice has worked very well for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XAqpOe9Zt4
Old 12-20-2012, 12:58 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Exactly which info is BS? Seriously asking. I followed some of his advice with pretty decent results.
The guy uses scare tactics to the extreme.

Since I have a Flex, just listen to the 1' 35" mark onwards. "This will do damage...". Yeah maybe if you grab it by the cord and swing the thing into the paint. And during the video, he relates the noise the tool makes to how dangerous it is to use I can agree being more careful when using a rotary buffer. He is amusing to watch, to say the least, and certainly more fun than watching reality shows on TV.

These detailers make me laugh. You'd think listening to them that you have to go to university for ten years to figure out how to do what they do. Now, the PDR and paint film guys deserve

Last edited by IXLR8; 01-11-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:01 AM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
The guy uses scare tactics to the extreme.

Since I have a Flex, just listen to the 1' 35" mark onwards. This will do damage...yeah maybe if you grab it by the cord and swing the thing into the paint. And during the video, he relates the noise the tool makes to how dangerous it is to use I can agree being more careful when using a rotary buffer. He is amusing to watch, so say the least, and certainly more fun than watching reality shows on TV.

These detailers make me laugh. You'd think listening to them that you have to go to university for ten years to figure out how to do what they do. Now, the PDR and paint film guys deserve
I agree with your remarks on some detailers taking themselves a bit too seriously, almost as if they were Zen Masters or such, but the Junkman guy's videos I did find very informative, at least for me. His goofy humorous approach is probably a good part of why I liked him.

I spent probably a couple of hours last winter perusing his DIY videos, for a noob like me (I had never heard of the two bucket wash method before lol) it helped quite a bit. For someone already well versed in detailing maybe not. The results I achieved employing his advice were pretty dramatic IMO.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:17 AM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Swesna, how was Phil's class? I would like to go, its a bit of a hike though.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:41 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

His goofy humorous approach is probably a good part of why I liked him.
Same here. Maybe Hollywood should give him a chance as a replacement for Eddie Murphy.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:11 PM
Jeff U
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Flex is more powerful and will do the same job a bit quicker. A guess: Maybe 25 - 30% quicker with the flex?

The Flex has some forced rotation of the pad. At it's top speed setting of 6, the pad is rotating at 480 RPM.

The porter cable is a random motion with no forced rotation. In fact, if you press hard enough you can stop any rotation of the pad.

That forced rotation is what gives the Flex machine a bit more cutting power.

FYI - A rotary machine will often have an upper end speed of 2000 - 3000 RPM.

Quick Reply: random orbital time!