Sponsored by:

MOMO Wheel installed

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 12:25 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default MOMO Wheel installed

Finally got the MOMO Protipito S installed. The airbag light needed to be turned off at the indie shop and I am still waiting on the 964 horn contact but the job is done.

Impressions. Since this is a 350mm (stock 380mm) is smaller I am sacrificing full view of the gauges (speedo and oil temp). I wish the wheel was tilted up a bit so I could still see those gauges without having to **** my head down.

Still, the smaller wheel feels nice and somehow makes me feel a little more connected to the steering and handling. Not quite a go cart but better than the 90s big steering wheel thing. Just right actually.

The look? For me, perfect. Others might disagree but I love it. Especially with the Walrod gauge trims. I should mention this is a true hand stiched vintage wheel from the 60's or 70's, not a newer factory wheel. Just adds a little something authentic.

One more thing...I already know I am drivng without an airbag and I am the stupidist person on earth...so please don't remind me with pictures of wrecked Porsches and horror stories. I am quite aware of it all...thanks!
Attached Images  
Old 12-16-2012, 01:53 PM
Roche993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good, Andy.

Momo makes an offset spacer that will raise the wheel about 10 mm to help with the gauge vision. Does not make it look too skewed either. I had one and gave it to a friend who needed it. They are hard to come by but worked perfectly for him.

Good luck on the horn part of it.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:11 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Andy-- Wow, what a classic look! You're right: goes really well with your Walrod gauge rings, plus your MacIntosh stereo's silver accents.

I've daydreamed about obtaining an RS steering wheel, some similarity in simple execution vs. stock 993 airbag wheels.
Originally Posted by ABCar

I should mention this is a true hand stiched vintage wheel from the 60's or 70's, not a newer factory wheel. Just adds a little something.
You've got an artistic eye; subtle editing to emphasize your new wheel makes for a great photo. The black & white side-view mirror evokes a simpler era, too

Drive safe, & enjoy -- I LUV every well thought out mod you've made to your Arena Red beauty
Old 12-16-2012, 02:32 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Funny - the wiper intermittent adjustment **** is in full view through the right most hole in the wheel, at first I thought you relocated it to the wheel!

Great interior. Love that color - cashmere? And som tasty Sport seats, mmm!

Originally Posted by curve lover
Drive safe, & enjoy -- I LUV every well thought out mod you've made to your Arena Red beauty
+993!

Take care!
Old 12-16-2012, 02:37 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 117 Posts

It looks great.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:53 PM
sonny1
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Classy indeed!,cheers.
Sonny1.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:20 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

The wheel looks very nice. Please no teaser with the hardback. Give me a full shot will ya
Old 12-16-2012, 03:32 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Roche993
Looks good, Andy.

Momo makes an offset spacer that will raise the wheel about 10 mm to help with the gauge vision. Does not make it look too skewed either. I had one and gave it to a friend who needed it. They are hard to come by but worked perfectly for him.

Good luck on the horn part of it.
I have heard about that...So how does that work? Won't the wheel's center axis be "off center" when you turn it?

Originally Posted by curve lover
Andy-- Wow, what a classic look! You're right: goes really well with your Walrod gauge rings, plus your MacIntosh stereo's silver accents.

I've daydreamed about obtaining an RS steering wheel, some similarity in simple execution vs. stock 993 airbag wheels.

You've got an artistic eye; subtle editing to emphasize your new wheel makes for a great photo. The black & white side-view mirror evokes a simpler era, too

Jager, thanks. The aluminum already there as you mentioned was what really kept coming to mind when I was looking at some wheels on day...and I thought, "hmmmm, that would go good with..." And it does in person. I think I am going to paint all the aluminum in my car gold though, just to match the wheels. kidding. btw, I always love the pictures you post around here. Your photography and eye for good asthetics amazes me.

Originally Posted by P-daddy
The wheel looks very nice. Please no teaser with the hardback. Give me a full shot will ya
Here you go PD! Always dig your red 993 too.
Attached Images   
Old 12-16-2012, 03:41 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Oh baby Jesus! Arena red + LMs + Hardbacks = I need a tissue to wipe this drool.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:47 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I like it. I prefer this to the RS wheel. Works well with the bezel ring accents too.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:48 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

The center of the wheel will be off axis by about 1/4" with the Momo offset plate. However, you will not really feel it in normal driving. And your OEM wheel is also off axis in the center. As are 99% of modern steering wheels. If you turn any wheel in any car exactly half a turn you'll see it. We just never pay attention to it.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:22 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
The center of the wheel will be off axis by about 1/4" with the Momo offset plate. However, you will not really feel it in normal driving. And your OEM wheel is also off axis in the center. As are 99% of modern steering wheels. If you turn any wheel in any car exactly half a turn you'll see it. We just never pay attention to it.
Mike beat me to it. Most of the street cars I've driven seem to have some eccentricity to the wheel. If you let the wheels spin quickly enough, you can see it.

Quick Reply: MOMO Wheel installed