Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the prefered battery charge method for winter storage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 01:56 PM
FabianS
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the prefered battery charge method for winter storage?

Hey all, got a question for you. I've had to delay winter storage of my newly aquired 993 due to it needing a new alternator. Now that I have it in the garage with a full tank of gas/ stabilizer, and tires pumped up to 59 psi on foam pieces, all that's left to do is the battery maintanence. I have a trickle charger I bought that has two attachments on it- one for the cigarette lighter, and the other has two clips. Which is the best way to keep the battery maintained? My garage is insulated, but not heated, and it can get very cold here in the winter. Is it best to pull it out of the car, or leave it in? When I read the manual it says to attach the positive to the post, but the negative one somewhere on the chassis where there is no paint...which is not existent?! Should I just use the cigarette lighter, put the two clips on the battery posts, or just pull the battery for the winter and put the charger on it? Help on this is really appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:07 PM
Ocean Blue C2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Fabian,

I live in Calgary as well and store my 993 over the winter. I have successfully used the same trickle charger that is sold by our local Porsche dealership. I also checked out what the upscale dealers were using in Arizona (they also store cars for a long time during their summer months and batteries loose a lot more power in a warm environment).

So this is what I use, it's a CTEK MULTIUSE 3300, which allows you to use a type of "winter storage" setting... it's a "snowflake". I bought mine at Canadian Tire, but had to buy the optional cigarette lighter adapter separately.

I leave it in this setting from early November till late April.

Good Luck,

Bert
Calgary
Old 12-10-2012, 02:21 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Fabian,

The "trickle charger" may, in fact, be a trickle charger - and will overcharge your battery. Find out what you have specifically and report back. As Bert said, many of us use the Porsche brand Battery Maintainer and that will work fine when used through the dashboard cigarette lighter. I would recommend that device.

I also pull the fuses (can't remember the numbers, sorry) that power the clock and all interior and trunk/hood lights.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:45 PM
FabianS
Pro

I have a Canadian Tire unit that shuts off when the battery is charged, so there is no worry of it overcharging. Should I just use the cigarette plug in, or clamp the clips on to the battery posts?
Old 12-10-2012, 02:57 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I’ve been using the Battery Tender for years. Will not overcharge and it will keep the battery at a consistent charge.
http://batterytender.com/
Old 12-10-2012, 03:30 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

You will be fine with the CTeK. They supply the charger to Porsche which costs at least 50% more at the dealership because of that.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:42 PM
FabianS
Pro

I already have a battery charger that I bought at Canadian Tire, so I'm not looking to buy another. This one is supposed to work just like a battery tender or the CTEK unit. What I'm looking for is the best method to use it? Put the clips on the posts (pos/ neg) or use the cigarette lighter plug in? The reason I'm not sure is because the owners manual says not to put anything on the negative post, and to clip it to an unpainted area of the car, and there just isn't an unpainted area to do so. Also, I think they are refering to an old school battery charger, and not a maintainer. Is it safe to put both clips on the battery posts, or should I just keep it simple and use the lighter adaptor... or just pull the battery out altogether?
Old 12-10-2012, 03:45 PM
CADguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by FabianS
I have a Canadian Tire unit that shuts off when the battery is charged, so there is no worry of it overcharging. Should I just use the cigarette plug in, or clamp the clips on to the battery posts?
I also have the Ctek, and use it plugged into where the cigarette lighter plugs in. I then run it out the window, with the window up most of the way. The Ctek unit is then plugged into an extension cord hanging just above the 993, so that I can occasionally verify that the green light is lit.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:30 PM
Luftd993
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a permanent connection to the battery terminals and have a connector sitting on the trunk carpet to connect/disconnect as required. I shut the lid down on the cable that goes to the charger mounted on the garage wall. I’ve used the charger all year round for 6 years and the battery is still good and no damage to rubber seal around trunk or the cable. I switch off the charger twice a month for a few days (or don’t connect back up after a run) to allow the battery to run down a little and then switch it back on. It takes about 4 days to reach full charge again. On those rare occasions when the garage gets warm I switch off the charger. I can leave the car sitting for a month without being charged and the battery is still good. Not bad fon an old Varta.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:09 PM
martyp
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ble2011
I’ve been using the Battery Tender for years. Will not overcharge and it will keep the battery at a consistent charge.
+1, works on all of the cars and a JD tractor. GL
Old 12-10-2012, 07:14 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Luftd993
I have a permanent connection to the battery terminals and have a connector sitting on the trunk carpet to connect/disconnect as required. I shut the lid down on the cable that goes to the charger mounted on the garage wall. I’ve used the charger all year round for 6 years and the battery is still good and no damage to rubber seal around trunk or the cable. I switch off the charger twice a month for a few days (or don’t connect back up after a run) to allow the battery to run down a little and then switch it back on. It takes about 4 days to reach full charge again. On those rare occasions when the garage gets warm I switch off the charger. I can leave the car sitting for a month without being charged and the battery is still good. Not bad fon an old Varta.
I also have the permanent connector that came with my CTEK on the battery. I leave the trunk unlatched, but click the lock closed so that the lights stay off. You can easily open the lock up at the lock with your fingers, or walk to the drivers door an use the release. I was worried about the seal. I run the CTEK whenever I think the car will not be driven for several days.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:27 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fabian: I have clipped my maintainer directly to the battery, during winter storage, with no issues. I attach the clips first, and then plug in the maintainer.

Last year I wired the harness that came with my Cetec, directly to the battery terminals, which is more convenient than using the clips. The wires are thin enough that they don't affect the trunk seal.

The manual probably says what it says, for legal reasons.

Last edited by Rinty; 12-10-2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:53 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 698 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by FabianS
The reason I'm not sure is because the owners manual says not to put anything on the negative post, and to clip it to an unpainted area of the car, and there just isn't an unpainted area to do so.
Fabian, the reason why they tell you to connect the negative charger (or booster) cable to a ground point on the frame, be it for charging or boosting, is to keep any possibility of causing a spark away from the battery. A battery that is being charged can give off hydrogen gas. I think you get the idea.

There is a ground stud with a brown ground cable just ahead of the brake fluid reservoir, if you want to use it.

I prefer connecting a battery charging harness to the battery (see pics), but if you wish, you can connect your charger to the cigarette lighter socket...just make sure it is hot with the ignition off and that the fuse is good.

As for chargers, most chargers are better than nothing, but having tested quite a few at work, the claims they make on their packaging is very misleading. I have to chuckle....as bad as snake oil.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:44 PM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Received 215 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by ble2011
+1 I've used one for years. Works great
Old 12-11-2012, 06:16 AM
Robert993TT
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Iīve been using a CTEK Mulit XS 3600 (same as the Porsche branded one) since around 2002 when I bought my Ducati and itīs still on itīs original battery. I charge the battery once in the fall and once in the spring before installing the battery.

When I bought my 993 turbo in 2007 I bought the cigarette lighter plug for the charger. The CTEK charger is mostly connected to my Porsche. Especially during winter storage.

For those living in harsh climate where itīs can be very cold in the winters and donīt have a heated garage there are a Polar edition of the CTEK charger:

http://www.ctek.com/se/en/chargers/MXS%205.0%20POLAR

Also read the instructions when and how to use the snowflake symbol and the newer CTEK chargers "recond" mode. Snowflake mode increases charging voltage and so does the recond mode. It might not be a good idea to use it when charging trough the cigarette socket.

Quick Reply: What is the prefered battery charge method for winter storage?