993 Forum 1995-1998

Clutch DIY - Feasible?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 10:56 PM
Holytin
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Clutch DIY - Feasible?

Just got the quote back from Porsche to have the clutch replaced - simply amazing...

How feasible is a DIY? I've done a clutch on a 924S earlier this year and many different 4 letter words were spoken while being under the car... and I'm aware of the fact this project is not going to be an easier one. To anyone that has already done this DIY any advice will be greatly appreciated. I'm also planning on eliminating the dual mass fly wheel to go with an RS clutch. By doing this myself I might be able to afford a G50/21!

Thanks,
Old 12-07-2012, 11:04 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While I have yet to put mine back together I would opt to drop the engine/transmission assembly if I ever had to do it again. There are some parts like the alternator top bolt, the clutch shaft and the uppermost bellhousing bolt that are a PITA to access. Putting it back together again seems like it's going to be even more "interesting" solo. I may drag my car to a shop for re-assembly.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:17 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

You certainly can do this yourself, and if you lived closer - I'd help you out..! I've pulled the engine and tranny several times with two floor jacks, 4 jack stands, a creeper - and, of course a bunch of 4x4s...

If you do it - you'll really enjoy it. My suggestion?? Take your time - read the DYIs here and on other sites - and enjoy the experience...

John D.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:20 PM
John D.
Banned

BTW: Here is my LWF install in the 993 DYI section of Rennlist:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-1995...d-install.html

John D.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:23 PM
John D.
Banned

And Toga's fine DYI engine removal (Toga also has a DIY to remove the rear bumper, but, I have always left mine on when pulling the engine? Your choice..)

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-1995...e-removal.html

John D.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:43 PM
Holytin
Pro

Originally Posted by John D.
And Toga's fine DYI engine removal (Toga also has a DIY to remove the rear bumper, but, I have always left mine on when pulling the engine? Your choice..)

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-1995...e-removal.html

John D.
John - thanks a lot!!!
Old 12-07-2012, 11:50 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DIY

If you are at all mechanically inclined, you can do it
Lots of help here, as John said
Old 12-07-2012, 11:54 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I say go for it. It is time consuming and there are a few gatcha moments awaiting you. I did this and the key was to plan it in stages. The engine drop itself is a three stage process: 1. Disconnect top wires/hoses. Drain oil, powersteering fluid and fuel. 2. Disconnect bottom parts. 3. Drop the engine slowly and carefully, paying attention to where the starter is vis-a-vis the drive shafts. Basically take your time.

Once the engine/transmission is out you disconnect the two and voila the clutch assembly is there to be worked on.

When you run into the gotcha's come back here and ask for advice. I'll offer you any email support you need and answer any question you have while doing the job.

In the end I felt a great feeling of accomplishment, I bonded with and learned about my car and I saved a boatload of money. Also, doing this job will give you the confidence to tackle bigger and better jobs. I am currently doing a top-end rebuild which I would have never attempted before I did my own clutch.

Go for it.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:25 AM
Holytin
Pro

John, I spent some time reading the DIY for the engine removal. Quite a challenge as it appears but I felt the same way before doing the clutch on the 924s. Today I would do it again in a heart beat...

Mark, Peter: thanks for encouraging me to do this DIY and I agree - planning is the key but you know what? All that good planning is for nothing if you have 2 little kids around still expecting their Daddy to make up time for them. And this indeed could be a show stopper...

But, yes, it is very rewarding to see the results of your work after your work is done and, boy, was I proud when I drove that car the first time after spending almost 6 weeks under it!

And, Peter, thanks again for offering technical and moral support! This, I'm sure, I will need. Lots of it...
Old 12-08-2012, 12:51 AM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my first Porsche in April this year. I knew it needed a clutch when I bought it. I read the write ups mentioned above, bought a set of manuals and set to work. I've worked on many different cars but I have never made my living from it. If you take your time, read ahead, plan out the job and remember to walk away when frustrated it is pretty easy. I used four tall jackstands and an ATV lift to remove the transmission. I have a C4S and opted to remove the front differential, torque tub and transmission. I didn't want to deal with the wires, vacuum lines etc for the engine.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:00 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Holytin,
All is possible with a little patience and planning! Plenty of info/threads here to guide you, and you can always assemble a team of fellow RLers by providing beer and pizza to assist, as Adam did in his engine drop:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...nd-w-pics.html
Good times!

Chaoscreature....just give a call when you need help, plenty of us here in SD that will pitch in. PM sent...
Old 12-08-2012, 06:05 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,020 Posts

PS -- on 993 you do not need to take the engine out to remove the tranny! This seems to suggest the flywheel can be replaced as well without the engine out. Saves enough time to pay for installing a home lift kit from Harbor Freight.
Andy
Old 12-08-2012, 10:06 PM
Holytin
Pro

When replacing the clutch what other work should be done as a precautionary since engine and transmission are already out? With over 52K miles on the clock I'm planning on replacing main shaft rear seal, pilot bearing, clutch fork bearings, clutch slave cylinder (replace?), engine mounts, and sparks plugs. There are also some gaskets that are in need of replacement I just forgot which ones - there is a minor oil leak somewhere (all those engines are leaking oil) but I remember that the engine had to come out to perform this job. Maybe somebody can jump start my memory here... I'm also looking for a used, rebuildable G50/20 transmission to be concerted over to G50/21 specs!

Any specialty tools required to do the clutch? What literature is available besides the factory manual and the Rennlist threads that I could use as a guide line? For the 924S I used "Clarks Garage" - they really had it covered!

Thanks,
Old 12-08-2012, 10:07 PM
Holytin
Pro

Originally Posted by pp000830
PS -- on 993 you do not need to take the engine out to remove the tranny! This seems to suggest the flywheel can be replaced as well without the engine out. Saves enough time to pay for installing a home lift kit from Harbor Freight.
Andy

More details, please!
Old 12-08-2012, 11:03 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^

Yes and No on dropping the trans only. I routinely drop my engine and trans and have also removed the trans for service by itself in the garage ( even at a race track). You are planning on doing a bit of maintenance on the engine so it makes sense to drop both. For the trans to come out by itself you still need to get a good amount of tilt of the engine, remove the bottom oil line, cross brace, starter, and your near the limit of the power steering pump reservoir. In a garage with no lift I can drop an 993 engine out of a car in about 90mins without assistance. A lift save you 20mins. The trans is not much less time and really only saves some fluid refills. BTW, aligning the mainshaft and clutch fork when re-installing just the trans is a bit of challenge and if you have not done this with someone experienced it will be frustrating. If the clutch fork drops during the assembly you have to start all over. (or you drop the clutch fork shaft retainer into the bell housing). Another poster may see this differently, but I would advise dropping both for your first big DIY on the 993. Bumper can stay on the car, but you need clearance and the ability to move the engine/trans back and forth to clear the car as it drops lower.

Quick Reply: Clutch DIY - Feasible?