Sponsored by: DashLynx

Clutch DIY - Feasible?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 11:05 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Holytin
John, I spent some time reading the DIY for the engine removal. Quite a challenge as it appears but I felt the same way before doing the clutch on the 924s. Today I would do it again in a heart beat...

Mark, Peter: thanks for encouraging me to do this DIY and I agree - planning is the key but you know what? All that good planning is for nothing if you have 2 little kids around still expecting their Daddy to make up time for them. And this indeed could be a show stopper...

But, yes, it is very rewarding to see the results of your work after your work is done and, boy, was I proud when I drove that car the first time after spending almost 6 weeks under it!

And, Peter, thanks again for offering technical and moral support! This, I'm sure, I will need. Lots of it...
Ah
Yes, kid factor makes it a tougher call
Been there
Well... Still there! Mine are 7 and 9

Only you can decide then
Time, money, etc.

If you decide to do it, anything you are challenged with can be resolved here
I'd help any way I can
Old 12-09-2012, 12:07 AM
Holytin
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
Ah
Yes, kid factor makes it a tougher call
Been there
Well... Still there! Mine are 7 and 9

Only you can decide then
Time, money, etc.

If you decide to do it, anything you are challenged with can be resolved here
I'd help any way I can

Good for you! Mine are 1 and 5...

Might have a good chance in spring when wife and kids are in Germany for 4 weeks. Thanks to you and all the others offering support!
Old 12-09-2012, 12:07 AM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I found a DIY procedure for clutch replacement over in the Pelican Parts Tech Articles. I just looked and can't find it. I am traveling at the moment but when I get back home (12-16-12) I will root around for it in my files and post here.

I might also have a "while you're in there" list. There are a bunch of things that are way easier to do with the engine out.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:14 AM
matt777
Drifting

Originally Posted by pp000830
PS -- on 993 you do not need to take the engine out to remove the tranny! This seems to suggest the flywheel can be replaced as well without the engine out. Saves enough time to pay for installing a home lift kit from Harbor Freight.
Andy
I have done this a couple of times on a 4 post lift using a tall tranny jack that I borrowed. You just need to tilt the whole assembly using a jack under the engine to control things. I suppose it is more difficult to get at the cross shaft and slave this way but very doable.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:30 AM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good for you! Mine are 1 and 5...

Might have a good chance in spring when wife and kids are in Germany for 4 weeks. Thanks to you and all the others offering support!
Here's a pic for moral support. Only one kid at that time but now have another (currently 1 and 6).

As Mark says, we'll be here to help.

PS - A 2 post lift really helps

Cheers,
Joe
Attached Images  
Old 12-09-2012, 12:25 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 653 Likes on 454 Posts

How feasible is a DIY?
Very.

I've done a clutch on a 924S earlier this year and many different 4 letter words were spoken while being under the car.
That may be your limiting factor. If you found that hard to do, then its a matter of evaluating your skills and facilities.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:28 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Did mine about 2 yrs. ago, solo, no help. A few challenging tasks but easily a DIY. I took off the bumper (did not need to but I was planning some other stuff).

I only had dogs to contend with though, no kids.

Last edited by Slow Guy; 12-24-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:05 PM
Holytin
Pro

Originally Posted by JM993
Here's a pic for moral support. Only one kid at that time but now have another (currently 1 and 6).

As Mark says, we'll be here to help.

PS - A 2 post lift really helps

Cheers,
Joe

Joe, you make me jealous...
Old 12-09-2012, 08:11 PM
Holytin
Pro

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Very.

That may be your limiting factor. If you found that hard to do, then its a matter of evaluating your skills and facilities.

Really...?!
Old 12-09-2012, 10:15 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Go for it... you will get a lot of support and info. on this site!!!!!!

I had to do a clutch on my supercharged 993 that has 30+ k miles. While I have the engine and trans out, I am having the engine rebuilt. Lower end, top end and replacing all of the suspension bushings to 'sport' mode. I will irridite all of the aluminum suspension arms so they look pretty, Rebuild the steering rack and a bunch of other things. It will be like a new car and I don't want to do this again in my lifetime. I have other cars that I need to maintain and drive the hell out!!!!!

Here are my pix as my 993 is currently being worked on. If your car is not the daily driver, you should take your time and 'do it right'!!!!!!

Good Luck!!!!!!
Attached Images     

Last edited by mr_bock; 12-16-2012 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Added pix with paid subscription renewal...
Old 12-09-2012, 11:04 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Really...?!
Yeah
He hasn't done it but when he does it will totally be better

Wait
I think he helped someone once
Old 12-09-2012, 11:10 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mr_bock
Go for it... you will get a lot of support and info. on this site!!!!!!

I had to do a clutch on my supercharged 993 that has 30+ k miles. While I have the engine and trans out, I am having the engine rebuilt. Lower end, top end and replacing all of the suspension bushings to 'sport' mode. I will irridite all of the aluminum suspension arms so they look pretty, Rebuild the steering rack and a bunch of other things. It will be like a new car and I don't want to do this again in my lifetime. I have other cars that I need to maintain and drive the hell out!!!!!

Here are my pix as my 993 is currently being worked on. If your car is not the daily driver, you should take your time and 'do it right'!!!!!!

Good Luck!!!!!!

???? I wanted to upload my pix and got a message that I exceeded my quota.
What The He## is that about?????? Is there an Administrator in the house? Please explain this.
I think you are another victim of the Great Rennlist Membership Debacle of 2012
Renewal issues...
Sorry man
Old 12-10-2012, 09:49 AM
WingChun
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jhg41977
I bought my first Porsche in April this year. I knew it needed a clutch when I bought it. I read the write ups mentioned above, bought a set of manuals and set to work. I've worked on many different cars but I have never made my living from it. If you take your time, read ahead, plan out the job and remember to walk away when frustrated it is pretty easy. I used four tall jackstands and an ATV lift to remove the transmission. I have a C4S and opted to remove the front differential, torque tub and transmission. I didn't want to deal with the wires, vacuum lines etc for the engine.
I am also faced with this job shortly. I know the front diff has to come out first but when removing the torque tube, does the transmission/engine have to lowered initially or will the tube just pull forward once unbolted?
Old 12-10-2012, 10:27 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

Just got the quote back from Porsche to have the clutch replaced - simply amazing...

How feasible is a DIY? I've done a clutch on a 924S earlier this year and many different 4 letter words were spoken while being under the car... and I'm aware of the fact this project is not going to be an easier one. To anyone that has already done this DIY any advice will be greatly appreciated. I'm also planning on eliminating the dual mass fly wheel to go with an RS clutch. By doing this myself I might be able to afford a G50/21!

Thanks,
You sound like me when it comes to DIY; you don't really want to do it but doing so saves money that could be put towards something else. I did a clutch on my 964 before kids and did just about everything on my SC race car including an engine rebuild with 3 and 4 year olds around. All the time spent preparing that car is one of the reasons I got out of racing and went to a car I can spend a lot more time driving and a lot less time working on.

Honestly, and I mean no offense to those who still enjoy wrenching on their cars, I am over the whole sense of accomplishment and bonding thing. I'm glad I can do the jobs I want to do but when I don't want to fool with something I'm happy to hand it over to my trusted mechanic. I've never touched a front engine car but I'd always heard the clutch job on those was more difficult than on the 911s so I'd say you'll have no problem doing the work. It will be up to you to decide if it's worth your time.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:33 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

I would DIY. I have 7 and 8 yearolds and it isnt a big deal....I did have my wife watch them for the day though I also think you should drop the engine and trans together. They can be done seperately but there are tricks and I wouldnt suggest it for the first time. I got up at 7am on a Sat, made a pot of coffee and had the motor and trans out by 9ish. Changed the clutch/FW and plugs etc and had it back in the car by mid afternoon. Not that bad of a job if you are mechanically inclined think it through. That said, previously I had pulled other 911 motors just not a 993 before. Its intimidating until you get rolling then its no big deal. Go for it. Plus you have the support of RL if you get stuck. You could easily make a post and someone would talk you through it. Just my .02

Quick Reply: Clutch DIY - Feasible?