993 Forum 1995-1998

Collapsed Lifter ?? Loud clicking sound

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 01:27 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by T0M993
I am also burning a liter of LiquiMoli every 700 miles or so which many claim is normal but I fear valve guides every time I hear the clicking or notice that my oil had dropped a bit.
Your fear is correct....hate to say it, but a liter of oil per 700 miles means your guides are very worn.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:57 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by benjr
It gets louder with increased rpm. Just to clarify its not just ticking, the lifters ticked when cold before. It is a loud clacking
Clacking is not good and it may not be lifters but I have had a car come in with a failed lifter and it was really loud, not just clicking, but it sounded like someone hammering on steel with a steel hammer (if that is what clacking). New lifters quieted the car right up.

Benjr, you talked about it being under full load when it made noises? While it can be internal issues (like worn wrist pins,etc), in my experience cars with 60,000 miles often have marginal lifters, so my opinion is to replace your lifters and do an inspection of the cams while the covers are off. Then run the car and see what happens. Be aware when you replace the lifters that it can take some time (I have seen up to 15+ minutes) for the lifters to become really quiet as they pressurize, even if pre-soaked.

You can do the exhaust lifters first since they seem to fail first, or just go for it and replace them all.

Worse case, if it's internal, you would have wanted to replace the lifters when its all taken apart anyways, so no loss there.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 12-06-2018, 10:14 AM
rdewert
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 993 Clacking

Originally Posted by benjr
It gets louder with increased rpm. Just to clarify its not just ticking, the lifters ticked when cold before. It is a loud clacking

am having the same issue with my 97 993 c4s and trying to find the cause. 49;500 miles. Had new lifters installed 6 months ago but did not fix the problem. Wondering if one or more new lifters went bad.

Quick Reply: Collapsed Lifter ?? Loud clicking sound