Try this one: https://goo.gl/06Ymtu
'

Perfect! Thanks!

G
Old 03-14-2016, 02:18 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 89 Posts

Are there pictures for parts 2&3, cos the link in those doccuments doesn't work either.

Thanks

G

Originally Posted by gmorat
'

Perfect! Thanks!

G
Old 03-14-2016, 03:38 PM
bruce7
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by gmorat
Are there pictures for parts 2&3, cos the link in those doccuments doesn't work either.

Thanks

G
Looks like the links have been broken in the pdf documents, but the links
in the first post to the pictures (not in the documents) continue to work.

I'll revise the pdf files for the current link paths and repost.

-bruce
Old 03-14-2016, 03:59 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bruce7
Looks like the links have been broken in the pdf documents, but the links
in the first post to the pictures (not in the documents) continue to work.

I'll revise the pdf files for the current link paths and repost.

-bruce
Much appreciated!

G
Old 03-14-2016, 04:14 PM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 259 Posts

I also have made a DIY for the oil cooler and condenser fans, available here.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 03-14-2016, 07:37 PM
bruce7
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Updated writeup with new photo links

The photos for this DIY were originally put up online using Google Picasa Web Albums.
Those links are or will be broken soon as Google is migrating users from Picasa to Photos.
So I have updated the photo links so they now work in the pdf files and removed them from
the body of the post.

-bruce

In this post I describe how to check and change the AC & Oil fan series resistors.
There are many postings on this forum and elsewhere that address this
procedure, but what I hope to do is to edit down the subject matter to something
more concise and manageable and yet add to the existing information with the aid
of photos and a specific materials and tools list that will give you all the info you
need to perform this DIY before you start.

Special acknowledgements to pcarworkshop and Tore Bergvill and the many RL
forum members that have contributed to this subject.

Part 1 describes how to check the series resistors.

Part 2 describes how to change the AC fan series resistor.

Part 3 describes how to change the Oil fan series resistor.

-bruce
Old 03-14-2016, 08:12 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Outstanding!

Originally Posted by bruce7
The photos for this DIY were originally put up online using Google Picasa Web Albums.
Those links are or will be broken soon as Google is migrating users from Picasa to Photos.
So I have updated the photo links so they now work in the pdf files and removed them from
the body of the post.

-bruce

In this post I describe how to check and change the AC & Oil fan series resistors.
There are many postings on this forum and elsewhere that address this
procedure, but what I hope to do is to edit down the subject matter to something
more concise and manageable and yet add to the existing information with the aid
of photos and a specific materials and tools list that will give you all the info you
need to perform this DIY before you start.

Special acknowledgements to pcarworkshop and Tore Bergvill and the many RL
forum members that have contributed to this subject.

Part 1 describes how to check the series resistors.

Part 2 describes how to change the AC fan series resistor.

Part 3 describes how to change the Oil fan series resistor.

-bruce
Old 04-19-2020, 01:09 AM
oldman40
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great thread, thank you!

I followed your part 1 steps and the only part out of range was resistance for oil resistor was 0.9 ohms and for air resistor was 1.1. Both are higher than the 0.6-0.8 normal range but certainly not an open circuit.

Every other step was right in range and low/high speeds working fine. Given that my air fan doesn't turn on when i start engine and turn on air conditioning, what do you think is the problem? Tried switching relays too, still no fan.

Thanks for any help!
Old 04-19-2020, 02:13 AM
Greg Bell
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Some great information above. I followed the info below from BobbyT, will be a snap if I ever have to replace them again, plus they're out of the weather and should last longer.

" I left the failed original resisters in situ, and mounted new OEM resistors accessible from the headlight opening. This was almost ten years ago, and the resistors still look new and test within spec. No need to remove the bumper or anything other than headlights to do this. Here is how:

1. Remove the headlight.
2. Locate the ballast resistor wiring harness--it is fastened to the outer wall of the luggage bay with a black plastic loop.
3. Pull gently on this harness to unplug it from the ballast resistor.
4. Install the new ballast resistor in a suitable location. I use one of the fender bolts. Remove it from inside the boot, and drill the hole out slightly to accept a 25X6mm bolt. Secure the bolt with a nut and lockwasher. Insert a locknut into the recess in the resistor, and spin it hand-tight onto the bolt. Plug the resistor into the wiring harness. Reinstall the headlight, and you are done.

I did the same resistor relocation on a friend's 993 a couple of months later. His are still working too.
BobbyT #050110-5596
AKA bob@pelicanparts.com"
Old 07-14-2020, 11:17 PM
993pbug
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Curious question on the oil fan (passenger side). If the entire front bumper is off the car, does the entire fan assembly still need removed? Or is the resistor easily accessible from the front (sans bumper)?
Old 07-14-2020, 11:33 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 341 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by 993pbug
Curious question on the oil fan (passenger side). If the entire front bumper is off the car, does the entire fan assembly still need removed? Or is the resistor easily accessible from the front (sans bumper)?
With the bumper cover off the resistor is accessible without unbolting or moving the fan assembly.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:59 PM
993pbug
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by mike cap
With the bumper cover off the resistor is accessible without unbolting or moving the fan assembly.
Thanks for the reply. Other’s have I spoken to indicated the same. My car is in getting the driver’s door check repaired so they pulled the door, fender, and bumper ... perfect opportunity to get these done.
Old 07-15-2020, 12:16 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 341 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by 993pbug
Thanks for the reply. Other’s have I spoken to indicated the same. My car is in getting the driver’s door check repaired so they pulled the door, fender, and bumper ... perfect opportunity to get these done.
Good plan. If they have never been done the P OEM replacement resistors are more robust than the originals.
Old 07-15-2020, 04:46 PM
rcropp1
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Bell
Some great information above. I followed the info below from BobbyT, will be a snap if I ever have to replace them again, plus they're out of the weather and should last longer.

" I left the failed original resisters in situ, and mounted new OEM resistors accessible from the headlight opening. This was almost ten years ago, and the resistors still look new and test within spec. No need to remove the bumper or anything other than headlights to do this. Here is how:

1. Remove the headlight.
2. Locate the ballast resistor wiring harness--it is fastened to the outer wall of the luggage bay with a black plastic loop.
3. Pull gently on this harness to unplug it from the ballast resistor.
4. Install the new ballast resistor in a suitable location. I use one of the fender bolts. Remove it from inside the boot, and drill the hole out slightly to accept a 25X6mm bolt. Secure the bolt with a nut and lockwasher. Insert a locknut into the recess in the resistor, and spin it hand-tight onto the bolt. Plug the resistor into the wiring harness. Reinstall the headlight, and you are done.

I did the same resistor relocation on a friend's 993 a couple of months later. His are still working too.
BobbyT #050110-5596
AKA bob@pelicanparts.com"
Greg - can you post a photo of where you mounted them. Thanks

Robb
Old 07-15-2020, 10:31 PM
Greg Bell
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Hi Robb,

Pictures are pretty self explanatory. From memory I think you'll need a longer bolt. If you're going change your resistors don't forget to get some of that heat conductive paste from an electrical shop to smear on the metal piece the back of the resistor sits on.

Right hand side, aircon, you can see it at the top left behind the headlight mounting bracket.

This is the mounting bolt seen from inside the frunk, left side, oil cooler. I replaced both while I was at it.
The following users liked this post:
gregorytate (09-13-2020)

Quick Reply: DIY - AC & Oil Fan Series Resistors