Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Paint what you have !!
Attached Images  
Old 11-24-2012, 06:18 PM
pcst
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

agreed, painted look much better.

sorry to pop the bubble, but am I the only one who doesn't like split grill? looks messy to my eyes. but hey we all think differently right?
Old 11-24-2012, 06:21 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 573 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by pcst
agreed, painted look much better.

sorry to pop the bubble, but am I the only one who doesn't like split grill? looks messy to my eyes. but hey we all think differently right?
I agree, I prefer the regular painted grill to the split.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:11 PM
Shtootgart
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two tone looks sharp. Not sure where I'd go with black though. Red inserts to match Big Reds or Silver to match twists ? Probably stick with black and keep original so I can go back. Thanks for all the pics
Old 11-24-2012, 07:21 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Shtootgart
Two tone looks sharp. Not sure where I'd go with black though. Red inserts to match Big Reds or Silver to match twists ? Probably stick with black and keep original so I can go back. Thanks for all the pics
I always thought a black car with the grill/split grill insert painted silver would look great; almost a faux metal grill look. It looks even better when tied in by also painting the front end slats underneath the front corners of the C4S bumper silver as well. Someone with a dark colored car did that on here, both the silver painted engine grill/front underneath bumper corner slats, and it came out looking very subtle and very good.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:02 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue TTop
Two-Tone it!

I had the inserts painted darker than Polar Silver. It looks lighter or darker depending on the light and angle. I also kept the original spoiler, which is easy to reinstall.

Nicely done.

If its in your budget split grille for sure, somehow visually the rear end looks wider with it. If not, obviously just get it painted.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:35 PM
aarrow
Instructor

The darker silver looks great!

I think a titanium or gun metal would do wonders on a black car.

I'd love to see it color matched to the wheels. I have Arena red and bronze wheels...not too sure about that though.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:16 PM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always thought the Vesuvius cars with Grey grills were sharp.

Emerald
Old 11-24-2012, 10:10 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by pcst
..Edit / Delete....
" I the only one who doesn't like split grill? looks messy to my eyes. but hey we all think differently right?
Many of the painted engine grills and or split engine grills here look great!

911s historically have had until a decade ago a semi flat black colored engine grill, my old MY83 3.2 Carrera was no different so when the MY98 C2S split colored grill came along it was something to warm up to. An opportunity to fit the traditional black engine grill came along....the rest is history. My avatar is the '98 C2S 2wd wide body with black grill.... and no stink'in model or brand nomenclature.

Edit: The original production split grill is tucked away in a carton - should a museum call.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:40 PM
dbrians
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Split grill is sexy...but is it blasphemous to 'split grill' a non 'S'?
Old 11-24-2012, 10:42 PM
dbrians
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a non '2S'...4S's got the big reds, 2S's got the sexy split grills...
Old 11-25-2012, 02:17 AM
Shtootgart
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
Many of the painted engine grills and or split engine grills here look great!

911s historically have had until a decade ago a semi flat black colored engine grill, my old MY83 3.2 Carrera was no different so when the MY98 C2S split colored grill came along it was something to warm up to. An opportunity to fit the traditional black engine grill came along....the rest is history. My avatar is the '98 C2S 2wd wide body with black grill.... and no stink'in model or brand nomenclature.
I have the insignia delete too but the question is .....What did you do with the split grill ?
Old 11-25-2012, 02:35 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hmmm, I like goofball's approach for simple, well-blended look. But....Blue_TTop makes a nice case for the darker inserts, harkening back to the grills on the 356.

For the OP, I have a spare tail section with the surrounding plastic from around the split grille and the basic mechanicals, but minus the motor, gearbox and, switches. I bought it to scavenge those now missing parts, so I don't need the rest. I seem to recall the original grill section is missing...but that is what you are replacing with a split grill. Its Arena Red, but you'll be doing some painting it sounds like. PM me if you might get some use from this part....and help me make some space in the garage...

Also, there's something similiar to what I have on eBay. That one has the grill section, but it has less remaining of the lifting mechanism than mine. (I'm not looking for that kind of money to get rid of mine, either.)
Old 11-25-2012, 03:52 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Shtootgart
I have the insignia delete too but the question is .....What did you do with the split grill ?

The original split grill is tucked away in a carton. I own other vintage cars and always strive for the stock look.
For a sale the grill would go with the vehicle.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:22 PM
Shtootgart
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kjr914
Hmmm, I like goofball's approach for simple, well-blended look. But....Blue_TTop makes a nice case for the darker inserts, harkening back to the grills on the 356.

For the OP, I have a spare tail section with the surrounding plastic from around the split grille and the basic mechanicals, but minus the motor, gearbox and, switches. I bought it to scavenge those now missing parts, so I don't need the rest. I seem to recall the original grill section is missing...but that is what you are replacing with a split grill. Its Arena Red, but you'll be doing some painting it sounds like. PM me if you might get some use from this part....and help me make some space in the garage...

Also, there's something similiar to what I have on eBay. That one has the grill section, but it has less remaining of the lifting mechanism than mine. (I'm not looking for that kind of money to get rid of mine, either.)
PM sent

Quick Reply: Split Grill Question