993 Forum 1995-1998

New 993 owner on cross country trip!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 12:47 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...what are the things to check for....F=m911
Ask for a flat bed and an experienced operator.

But you won't have any mechanical issues on your drive home; just have two keys with you always.

Last edited by Rinty; 11-24-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:50 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by F=m911
I'll take that advice about the route. I usually take a lot of roads that parallel the interstates and offer more serendipity.

I have a scary question-In the unlikely event that I have to get towed, what are the things to check for as they're loading the car?

Practicing posting photos from iPhone. Here's another crude one.
Couple of towing points come to mind (that you should not need...):
-watch the clearance to the flatbed. They will probably have to roll her on planks to clear.
-once the car is pulled on, don't let them secure the car with the tow hook
Old 11-25-2012, 02:10 AM
Sportsman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

F=m911,
Originally your route was the BRP, then you changed it. If time permits, do the BRP.... If not, near mm188 on I-81 in Va, spend the night in Lexington. Dine at the Southern Inn, tour the campuses of VMI and Washington & Lee. If you still plan the BRP, plan an evening in Asheville, NC. Marvelous restaurants and craft brews.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:35 AM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a beauty,

Don't let them anchor into the jack points, suspension arms or tow hooks.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:18 AM
JMP911
AutoX

Did you buy the car from a dealer in Wrentham, MA? If so, they have always had nice cars... I live 10 mins from there...Enjoy the car and safe travels.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:10 PM
F=m911
Track Day

Originally Posted by Sportsman
F=m911,
Originally your route was the BRP, then you changed it. If time permits, do the BRP.... If not, near mm188 on I-81 in Va, spend the night in Lexington. Dine at the Southern Inn, toNur the campuses of VMI and Washington & Lee. If you still plan the BRP, plan an evening in Asheville, NC. Marvelous restaurants and craft brews.
BRP is still very much in plans. Taking your advice about Asheville. Sounds great! Can't wait till Friday.

BRP is still very much in plans.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:15 PM
F=m911
Track Day

Originally Posted by JMP911
Did you buy the car from a dealer in Wrentham, MA? If so, they have always had nice cars... I live 10 mins from there...Enjoy the car and safe travels.
That's the place! Very impressed so far. We'll do paperwork on Thursday. I love the area by the way! Probably going up to visit our daughter in Boston while in the area. She's a doc at Boston Children's and wants to see the car before we head south.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:07 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Hello - your car looks nice. Congrats.

I've always wondered about the shiny space in the right front, under the bonnet and what sticker was intended to go there. Every car I've seen has the spot but no sticker. It looks like it gives direction as to where the first-aid kit may be. I don't think this was a standard item in US cars.

If you remember when you get the car, please check it out and let us know.

Thank you, and here's wishing you the best with your car and trip.

If you'd like a nicer trip from Boston I'd suggest taking the pike (RT90) to NY and then going south on the NY Thruway to the Garden state Parkway. It is a much nicer route and you avoid CT traffic and NY City altogether.

Best Regards,

Attached Images  
Old 11-25-2012, 11:04 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Cemoto

I've always wondered about the shiny space in the right front, under the bonnet and what sticker was intended to go there. Every car I've seen has the spot but no sticker. It looks like it gives direction as to where the first-aid kit may be. I don't think this was a standard item in US cars.

You are correct. My car is a US car, but was Euro delivery and has that sticker and a First Aid Kit.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:40 PM
pkrasusky
Racer

congrats on a gorgeous stock cab, rancho and all - I recently did the same, it's a greatgreat driving car

2nd on the 'you won't need it' - if it's a clean car, you'll just get in and drive it w/o issue

2nd on the BRP, as well as anything/everything you can possibly due to avoid 95

the NY Thruway / GSP suggestion is a nice smooth route

BRP offenses are Federal so be wise 8-)... my bud & I shred it in our 930s heading S to NC/SC/TN for a turboPALOOZA and it's something to be experienced certainly

congrats again - and - enjoy that ride home and ownership... quite the cars, these
Old 11-25-2012, 11:51 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drove mine 1700 miles home with my retired father. All you really need is a credit card, GPS and cell phone plus charger.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:35 AM
Sportsman
Intermediate

"BRP is still very much in plans. Taking your advice about Asheville. Sounds great! Can't wait till Friday. "

I hope you have time as a luxury on your trip home; it seems I never have that.

In Asheville, if you like Mediterranean food, try "Rezaz" in the Biltmore Village. BE sure to find some Highland Brewing "Cold Mountain Winter Ale" and anything available from Pisgah Brewery.

A nice ride toward Ala from Asheville would be the BRP south to hwy 23/74 between Waynesville & Sylva. Go south toward Sylva, through the Nantahala river gorge to Murphy. Pick up hwy 64 into Tenn, through the Ocoee river gorge, hit I-75 at Cleveland.

Watch the NC troopers........

One last thought, if you've ever wanted to do the "Dragon Tail" you'll be very close. If this is of interest, respond, and I'll amend my directions.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:57 AM
Robert Collins - 96 993TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove mine from Philly to Nashvegas, and all I needed was a phone, a cell phone charger and a CC for gas, ;-) Having said that, all of the previous recommendations are solid for preventing the unexpecxted breakdown.

Thoughts: Check the oil before you leave. I assume after a PPI the belts have been checked as well. Check your tire pressures or ask the dealer to do it for you and write them down on something so you can confirm. That many miles on tires could be detrimental at mismatched tire pressures.

That's my .02...
Old 11-26-2012, 10:11 PM
F=m911
Track Day

Originally Posted by Cemoto

If you remember when you get the car, please check it out and let us know.

Thank you, and here's wishing you the best with your car and trip.

If you'd like a nicer trip from Boston I'd suggest taking the pike (RT90) to NY and then going south on the NY Thruway to the Garden state Parkway. It is a much nicer route and you avoid CT traffic and NY City altogether.

Best Regards,

Well, that's one I haven't heard before! Now i can't wait to check under the bonnet. More great advice on the route--thanks.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:22 PM
F=m911
Track Day

Originally Posted by Sportsman
"BRP is still very much in plans. Taking your advice about Asheville. Sounds great! Can't wait till Friday. "

I hope you have time as a luxury on your trip home; it seems I never have that.

In Asheville, if you like Mediterranean food, try "Rezaz" in the Biltmore Village. BE sure to find some Highland Brewing "Cold Mountain Winter Ale" and anything available from Pisgah Brewery.

A nice ride toward Ala from Asheville would be the BRP south to hwy 23/74 between Waynesville & Sylva. Go south toward Sylva, through the Nantahala river gorge to Murphy. Pick up hwy 64 into Tenn, through the Ocoee river gorge, hit I-75 at Cleveland.

Watch the NC troopers........

One last thought, if you've ever wanted to do the "Dragon Tail" you'll be very close. If this is of interest, respond, and I'll amend my directions.
I've actually driven a lot of the roads in your excellent suggestions--including driving the 'Tail of the Dragon' in a 4-wheel-steer Prelude I used to have---a great handling machine, that one! The Ocoee River Gorge is one of my favorite highways. I covered that on a BMW R1200RT one time, and it was one of my favorite trips. I think I'll just take your advice and do that stretch with the new 993 and see how it feels!

Greg

Quick Reply: New 993 owner on cross country trip!