993 Forum 1995-1998

Looking for G50/21 transmission

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 10:16 PM
Holytin
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Looking for G50/21 transmission

Don't even know if these are available in the US but maybe I'm lucky - should anyone have for sale please let me know. Alternatively, they are still available in the homeland! But, heck, are they are expensive...

Thanks!
Old 11-19-2012, 10:28 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

www.eBay.de has one right now.
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Porsche-911-C...6#ht_500wt_922
Old 11-20-2012, 01:45 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 337 Posts
Default Don't we all

The new parts for a G50/21 tranny are available from PCNA...but you need to know the part numbers. They are listed in PET.

The compromise is to use your present 1st and 2nd, close ration 3rd, 4th and 5th, and your present 5th gear becomes 6th gear.

Why this? Because the 1st and 2nd gears are on the mains shaft and they are NOT cheap.

Here is a guy I know who can build one for you, Mike Schatz. He is a factory trained wrench and started out at Red Line Automotive in Santa Monica with Pete Zimmerman (The Used 911 Story). Pull your tranny, put it on a palate and ship it to him. Call hime for the details and tell him martin referred you. I may get this very thing done one of these days...you'll need more than gears, at least 2 shifter forks + steel synchs galore, and probably some bearngs and of course seals.

Or go cheep, and install a lower Ring and Pinion and reduce your gear ratios about 16% across the board.

MKS Performance Inc.
P O R S C H E - Service - Repair - Restoration
1221 Avenida Acaso Unit G
Camarillo, CA 93012
www.mksperformance.com

+1.805.322.8077
Old 11-20-2012, 02:58 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Had the RoW /21 gearbox swap since 2000 when the coupe was back in Germany for a spell.... Changes the coupe's drive character immeasurably. It is worth waiting for the G50/21 6sp Getriebe....

The inspiration for the /21 gearbox swap came from Viken, a former 993 owner and Porschelist.org moderator. Can’t thank him enough for the insight..
Old 11-20-2012, 08:15 AM
Holytin
Pro

Originally Posted by Paddy
Saw this one yesterday as well; even has a differential lock! But my cost will be upward of $8K (incl. S&H to the US) for a transmission that's used with 55K miles on it and no guarantee. Albert Motorsports offers trannies as well; a bit more expensive but w/ guarantee. Those who are interested in a G50/31/32 - he got them but bring deep pockets...

http://www.albertweb.de/fahrzeugkata...ebe/index.html

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2012, 08:24 AM
Holytin
Pro

Originally Posted by Martin S.
The new parts for a G50/21 tranny are available from PCNA...but you need to know the part numbers. They are listed in PET.

The compromise is to use your present 1st and 2nd, close ration 3rd, 4th and 5th, and your present 5th gear becomes 6th gear.

Why this? Because the 1st and 2nd gears are on the mains shaft and they are NOT cheap.

Here is a guy I know who can build one for you, Mike Schatz. He is a factory trained wrench and started out at Red Line Automotive in Santa Monica with Pete Zimmerman (The Used 911 Story). Pull your tranny, put it on a palate and ship it to him. Call hime for the details and tell him martin referred you. I may get this very thing done one of these days...you'll need more than gears, at least 2 shifter forks + steel synchs galore, and probably some bearngs and of course seals.

Or go cheep, and install a lower Ring and Pinion and reduce your gear ratios about 16% across the board.

MKS Performance Inc.
Camarillo, CA 93012
www.mksperformance.com

+1.805.322.8077
Martin, thanks a lot for this info! That's some good stuff! Don't really want to pull my transmission to convert over; I only have 52K miles on it. Alternatively, I could try to get a transmission in need of some transmission work to have it rebuild following G50/21 specs. Any idea how much a complete rebuild to G50/21 specs would be? Or follow your advice to get close to these specs. You don't happen to know anyone that has one for sale? I would even consider a transmission with a cracked housing as long as it can be repaired. Again, thanks a lot for your advice!
Old 11-20-2012, 08:25 AM
Holytin
Pro

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
Had the gearbox swap since 2001.... Changes the coupe immeasurably. It is worth waiting for the G50/21 6sp Getriebe....
Thanks, Mike. I'm going for it!
Old 11-20-2012, 11:32 AM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Holytin
Martin, thanks a lot for this info! That's some good stuff! Don't really want to pull my transmission to convert over; I only have 52K miles on it. Alternatively, I could try to get a transmission in need of some transmission work to have it rebuild following G50/21 specs. Any idea how much a complete rebuild to G50/21 specs would be? Or follow your advice to get close to these specs. You don't happen to know anyone that has one for sale? I would even consider a transmission with a cracked housing as long as it can be repaired. Again, thanks a lot for your advice!
There are lots of threads on regearing, costs, ratios, etc. One of our members, Bill Verberg, here has developed some nice spreadsheets and graphs with different ratio combinations. Here is one thread https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=18268

IIRC the price is around $9k depending on how many gears/parts are changed. Your best bet IMHO is to buy a regeared box for under $10k and sell yours for $4-6k which is the direction you are heading.

Perhaps you have driven a car with a G50/21 and like it so this may be a non issue. To me the biggest issues with upgrading a G50/20 are the changing of 2nd gear and what to do with 6th. With the /20 2nd is too tall. I like the /21 6th ratio and not the /20 6th ratio. Moving 5th to 6th on the /20 leaves you with a top gear that is a bit short for my liking. Thus, changing 2 through 6 makes it a much more expensive proposition than just changing 3,4,5 and moving 5 to 6.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:44 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Take that $9,000 and put it towards a 993TT - you get the gearing and more power...
Old 11-20-2012, 02:35 PM
MKS_Performance
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.

MKS Performance Inc.
Camarillo, CA 93012
www.mksperformance.com

+1.805.322.8077
Thanks Martin
Old 11-20-2012, 02:49 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Take that $9,000 and put it towards a 993TT - you get the gearing and more power...
I like the 993TT. And 400hp makes any gearing right But....some of us treasure the steering, shifter, clutch feel of the 2wd NA cars. TT cars are not quite as sharp in that regard.

Have both a standard g50/20 and a g50/31 car I can tell you they are night and day. My 95 with the g50/31, LWF and varioram feels downright fast in comparison to not only the standard car, but also similiar to the Cayman S I recently drove.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:56 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by JM993
I like the 993TT. And 400hp makes any gearing right But....some of us treasure the steering, shifter, clutch feel of the 2wd NA cars. TT cars are not quite as sharp in that regard.
I believe My TT with Golden Rod, RS Pressure Plate and 2WD mod beg to differ. . I have driven NA 993s.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:05 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by JM993

Have both a standard g50/20 and a g50/31 car I can tell you they are night and day. My 95 with the g50/31, LWF and varioram feels downright fast in comparison to not only the standard car, but also similiar to the Cayman S I recently drove.
My point was that the transmission in a TT is geared very close to a Euro-spec NA 993. As far as shifter feel, that has nothing to do with the TT, its all about linkage and the transmission condition. Clutch -> I have had DMF's, RS clutches and now the TT power assisted clutch - feel is good in all of them and I use them equally well. As for "sharpness", that is also a function of suspension, alignment and sway bars -> but I also now get the feeling of the front wheels clawing at the pavement under power, especially when the roads are marginal or wet, keeping the car on a line where on my NA 993 my rear would have been way out and in much less of a stable position. The point is the TT has the power to do that.

Mike
Old 11-20-2012, 03:17 PM
JM993
Banned

Originally Posted by chsu74
I believe My TT with Golden Rod, RS Pressure Plate and 2WD mod beg to differ. . I have driven NA 993s.
I've driven your car - it's Mark D's old car and it's amazing But there's no comparison to the steering in a properly set up 2wd N/A car. More boost in the turbo steering and clutch takes away some of the feel.

As always, just my opinion.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 11-20-2012, 03:27 PM
JM993
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike J
My point was that the transmission in a TT is geared very close to a Euro-spec NA 993. As far as shifter feel, that has nothing to do with the TT, its all about linkage and the transmission condition. Clutch -> I have had DMF's, RS clutches and now the TT power assisted clutch - feel is good in all of them and I use them equally well. As for "sharpness", that is also a function of suspension, alignment and sway bars -> but I also now get the feeling of the front wheels clawing at the pavement under power, especially when the roads are marginal or wet, keeping the car on a line where on my NA 993 my rear would have been way out and in much less of a stable position. The point is the TT has the power to do that.

Mike
Agree with you on the gearing. Ironically, if the TT were geared as poorly as the NA car it would matter much less.

The differences in the TT's clutch (power assisted) and steering (lighter/more power assist) are less to my liking the than those of the NA car. I also prefer steering not "corrupted" by 4wd.

It's purely subjective, Mike. There are both awesome cars.

Cheers,
Joe

Quick Reply: Looking for G50/21 transmission