Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

opinions on window tinting?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 01:43 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

The best tints today are NOT metallic. Metallic may interfer with GPS/cell phone signals so the mfrs have been developing non-metallic film. Among those mfrs' lineups, the most expensive tints are all non-metallic.

Get the light non-metallic tints with high heat-rejection. They are legal in most states because they're not very dark so cops can see you, and a bonus is you can see at clearly at night. But they reject IR as well as 15% tint.

Here is my car with a 40% tint. Its very overcast outside during the photo, but I tried to show that you can easily see into and through the car's windows.
Attached Images   

Last edited by nine9six; 11-18-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:57 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Go for it

Mine are tinted about 35% all around. Keeps the car just a little cooler, and looks cool too. Just think of it as another slip down that slope!
Old 11-17-2012, 02:28 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Benton
^ What % transmission did you go with? When you say you did not care for the look, was that due to the darkness, slight color change, or reflective qualities?

PAULUNM: Does the Air 80 have a blue tone?
I think it does have a slight blue tone to it, but I haven't actually seen it installed on a car, just in the samples the tint shop I used had. Looked very clear to me.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:45 PM
Porsche Fan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default tint

Llumar Clear Blue 80

I use this crystal clear tint all around (including the windshield).

The heat rejection is very high, all repels UVA & UVB.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:50 PM
SC2993
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts

This is a must for cars in TX, keeps the interior much cooler on those 100 degree days. Never had a problem with seeing out the side windows at night as I am always looking forward!
Old 11-18-2012, 10:06 AM
pkrasusky
Racer

you live in a climate that's hotter than Satan's ****, yet you're worried about what Rennlist thinks?

???

As others have said... go with a good quality 35% film, pick an appropriate 'shade' that compliments the color of your car, and enjoy the benefits whilst ignoring the sheep that baaaaa otherwise 8-)

I'll never get why so many here feel the need to be so conformist with what the masses think.

Agreed that the cabin will be dark at night, esp if you go w/ like 20% on the rear window. You do get used to it, and you can go with 50w halogen reverse bulbs which help immensely.

Take a look at nearly EVERY automotive ad in print or TV - tint. Most even tint the windshield for effect (not suggesting!). Why? It typically looks GOOD.

Nearly every car I've owned has had tint or I tinted them - and I only live in CT. Not my Porsches tho, no need on the 930 or my cab. They all looked GREAT - and I'm not a pimp, dealer, ghettofab, etc. - I'm typically in business casual or suits or with my wife and kids.

I enjoy the benefits of privacy, the asthetics it affords, and the heat reduction in the summer is NOTABLE (my cars have mostly had black interiors - especially helpful!).

Heck, my last 2 sedans came from FL with 10% - I'd have never picked 10%, and it's dark as all hell trying to back up esp since those cars had double-paned IR and UV coated glass, but against silver and black cars it looked awesome. And those interiors looked new after 7-10+ yrs.

Driving with tint @ night is great - reduces annoying headlight glare (when I get into non-tint cars now the glare is VERY notable!), and on dark backroads the focus out the front is awesome - like a horse with side-blinders on, all you focus on is the tunnel of light ahead... it's very cool.

Short version: go with what you need / want / looks best for you and your car - not what Rennlist thinks 8-)... just sayin. 35% is really not that dark - esp w/ a tan gut - and if you don't go 20% on the rear.

HTH, good luck, flame suit... on 8-)...
Old 11-18-2012, 10:13 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by pkrasusky
I'll never get why so many here feel the need to be so conformist with what the masses think.
Because the masses are generally "followers".

Count me out; my car is stock.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:17 AM
Dukerdog
Racer

you live in a climate that's hotter than Satan's ****, yet you're worried about what Rennlist thinks?

???

As others have said... go with a good quality 35% film, pick an appropriate 'shade' that compliments the color of your car, and enjoy the benefits whilst ignoring the sheep that baaaaa otherwise 8-)

Agreed that the cabin will be dark at night, esp if you go w/ like 20% on the rear window. You do get used to it, and you can go with 50w halogen reverse bulbs which help immensely.

Take a look at nearly EVERY automotive ad in print or TV - tint. Most even tint the windshield for effect (not suggesting!). Why? It typically looks GOOD.

Nearly every car I've owned has had tint or I tinted them - and I only live in CT. Not my Porsches tho, no need on the 930 or my cab. They all looked GREAT - and I'm not a pimp, dealer, ghettofab, etc. - I'm typically in business casual or suits or with my wife and kids.

I enjoy the benefits of privacy, the asthetics it affords, and the heat reduction in the summer is NOTABLE (my cars have mostly had black interiors - especially helpful!).

Heck, my last 2 sedans came from FL with 10% - I'd have never picked 10%, and it's dark as all hell trying to back up esp since those cars had double-paned IR and UV coated glass, but against silver and black cars it looked awesome. And those interiors looked new after 7-10+ yrs.

Driving with tint @ night is great - reduces annoying headlight glare (when I get into non-tint cars now the glare is VERY notable!), and on dark backroads the focus out the front is awesome - like a horse with side-blinders on, all you focus on is the tunnel of light ahead... it's very cool.

Short version: go with what you need / want / looks best for you and your car - not what Rennlist thinks 8-)... just sayin. 35% is really not that dark - esp w/ a tan gut - and if you don't go 20% on the rear.

HTH, good luck, flame suit... on 8-)...
OK, I give up, what does this mean? ...on 8-
Old 11-18-2012, 10:25 AM
pkrasusky
Racer

Michael... hmmm, what part was confusing? I have a propensity to speak in tongues (often intentionally), but that post was pretty See Spot Run.

Spaceballs ShortShortVersion from above: "go with a good quality 35% film, pick an appropriate 'shade' that compliments the color of your car, and enjoy the benefits whilst ignoring the sheep that baaaaa otherwise"

I'm not sure I can be more clear? 8-)
Old 11-18-2012, 10:46 AM
Dukerdog
Racer

Michael... hmmm, what part was confusing? I have a propensity to speak in tongues (often intentionally), but that post was pretty See Spot Run.

Spaceballs ShortShortVersion from above: "go with a good quality 35% film, pick an appropriate 'shade' that compliments the color of your car, and enjoy the benefits whilst ignoring the sheep that baaaaa otherwise"

I'm not sure I can be more clear? 8-)

I was referring to the number 8 followed by a dash and closed parenthesis at the end of your comment
Old 11-18-2012, 10:55 AM
p993enthusiast
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

smiley face with big eyes and a nose
8-)
Old 11-18-2012, 11:02 AM
Dukerdog
Racer

Originally Posted by p993enthusiast
smiley face with big eyes and a nose
8-)
Duh, guess I haven't had my coffee yet
Old 11-18-2012, 11:13 AM
p993enthusiast
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No worries - I am quite a few hours ahead of you here. Congrats on your 'new' ride - 7 years and counting for me.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:50 PM
pkrasusky
Racer

heh that's funny - sorry I missed what you were questioning, I see it now... it's my quickiemoticon, I don't bother w/ the real ones typically
Old 11-18-2012, 06:17 PM
csmab
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Tint is a requirement in TX. I have 35% on all of my cars. I don't think it looks too dark. I am not a fan of the dark limo tint. I really does make the car feel cooler in the summer heat. I never feel the heat when the sun is beating down on me coming through the side windows.

Quick Reply: opinions on window tinting?