Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

opinions on window tinting?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 09:00 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

I have 3M Crystalline tint. Not cheap, but it rejects more heat and UV than conventional tint while letting more light through. I got tint for the function it provides, not the gangster look.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:38 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Dukerdog
What's the general consensus on tinting on a 993?
No tint on any of my cars, not even the legal level of tint which most of them aren't. I've been in some cars with it and wonder how the owners see out of them at night.

Eye contact with the person in the other car at an intersection or driveway is what has kept me accident free for as long as I have been...37 years now.

Last edited by IXLR8; 11-16-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:47 AM
JLUinAZ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you live in Houston and the car spends any time outside, with or without you, do it. It will save the interior and keep it much cooler obviously.

I live in the desert, most every car has tint. No way I'd go without personally. And heck, if you really hate it, take it off.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:50 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by JLUinAZ
It will save the interior and keep it much cooler obviously.
How much cooler is "much cooler" in degrees?
Old 11-16-2012, 11:08 AM
Dukerdog
Racer

I probably won't do it because I already don't see that well at night. If I do it would be 50 or even 60 just to have some UV protection for both me and the car's interior. Again, if you don't live in Houston, hell or on the sun you can't relate. I've had melanoma so sun protection is a legitimate concern for me.
This might add to the conversation
http://www.platinumautoonline.com/Window%20Tinting.htm
Old 11-16-2012, 11:28 AM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sun tint in Houston is obligatory - if you and your car's interior want to survive.

Pro tint shops will not install tint that does not meet DOT specs.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:34 AM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 609 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by Dukerdog
I probably won't do it because I already don't see that well at night. If I do it would be 50 or even 60 just to have some UV protection for both me and the car's interior. Again, if you don't live in Houston, hell or on the sun you can't relate. I've had melanoma so sun protection is a legitimate concern for me.
This might add to the conversation
http://www.platinumautoonline.com/Window%20Tinting.htm
The shop that removed my tint had a UV film that wasn't tinted that they claimed removed 99.9% of UV rays. It was expensive but would seem worth it if you had a legitimate medical need.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:41 AM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Guest89
I have 3M Crystalline tint. Not cheap, but it rejects more heat and UV than conventional tint while letting more light through. I got tint for the function it provides, not the gangster look.
I was going to mention this. Sounds like a better option.

I am trying to find the film for a DIY while I have my windows disassembled, but it seems 3M will only sell to authorized dealers. I can't justify paying someone for the labor, but maybe I can score a section of a roll off of a local dealer.

There are a few other brands as well with similar films, but it seems 3M Crystalline is what gets the most positive reviews. I am not sure of the brands off the top of my head, but will edit this if they come to mind. I believe Crystalline is available in 50%, 60%, and 70% film. My interest lies in cutting down heat (no A/C) without looking like a []D [] []V[] []D and protecting the new full leather dash/interior from heat and UV rays. I will probably go with 50-60% if I can ever track down the film.

I had 20% for a couple of years and really disliked the way it looked on the car. To each his own, of course.

Edit: OK, one of the other brands is Huper Optik, and I think "F1" is a tint brand that may have a similar product.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:27 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Another option is Air 80 by Llumar. Basically a 80% tint that has pretty good heat rejection, and 99% UV rejection.

Doesn't look like your car is tinted at all. That might be my preference on a 993 if I owned one. The older cars look better with no tint IMO.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:42 PM
Guest89
Drifting

I paid $400 for the Crystalline (everywhere except windshield) at a top Atlanta shop. Imo, worth it. At first I didn't care for the look, but now I like it. It's a subtle, slightly darker shade. No one has ever noticed or commented that I have tinted windows, even those who saw it before and after. No issues with visibility at night, although it is slightly darker.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:59 PM
Benton
Drifting

^ What % transmission did you go with? When you say you did not care for the look, was that due to the darkness, slight color change, or reflective qualities?

PAULUNM: Does the Air 80 have a blue tone?
Old 11-16-2012, 01:01 PM
E_T
Instructor

It nearly rhymes with pimp. Don't.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:56 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Originally Posted by Benton
^ What % transmission did you go with? When you say you did not care for the look, was that due to the darkness, slight color change, or reflective qualities?
I can't recall off hand; I have the papers in a filing cabinet at home. I recall that they only had one option in stock, the installer said "trust me, it'll look great," and I had already taken the time out of my day to have it done, so I went with it. I believe I have the darkest one they offer.

At first I didn't like the color change, but I got used to it after a week or so. I think that it complements the age of the car, actually. It has a slightly green or smoked look (like a glass coke bottle or a pair of old sunglasses). I would not hesitate to do it again on any Porsche. During the summer it was a real help while sitting in Atlanta traffic or on the occasions in which my car (black) was parked outside for any length of time.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:16 PM
Benton
Drifting

Thanks for the feedback. That is actually exactly what I am looking for, as I am adapting some old 911 non-tinted windows to the car (as in, the 993 and most p-cars from the 70s onward factory glass is tinted green ever-so-slightly and these small windows are completely clear), so I was looking to do a slightly green-tinted tint across all of the windows to balance the color of all of the glass.

If anyone reads this and wonders what the heck I mean, hold a piece of white paper behind your door window when the door is open and you will see the green tint. If anyone wonders what the heck I am doing to my car, once I finally get some time to put this car together, I'll post a build thread here and you will find out.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:23 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Dukerdog

When you go tintless - don't forget to tell us how you enjoy summer in houston!

Quick Reply: opinions on window tinting?